PDA

View Full Version : Support Childminder

Desi-101
10-12-2009, 12:49 AM
I signed up for a support childminder and was given one about 10 miles away from me, she is lovely and has an Outstanding inspection, but when I phoned her recently as was due my 6 months inspection she said she has no clue about EYFS!!!! so can't help me. I feel I may now have to support her as I know more (thanks everyone here on Childminding forum!!) as she was last inspected 3 yrs ago!! oops she doesn't have the eyfs pack even!

christine e
10-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I signed up for a support childminder and was given one about 10 miles away from me, she is lovely and has an Outstanding inspection, but when I phoned her recently as was due my 6 months inspection she said she has no clue about EYFS!!!! so can't help me. I feel I may now have to support her as I know more (thanks everyone here on Childminding forum!!) as she was last inspected 3 yrs ago!! oops she doesn't have the eyfs pack even!

Oooops that's not good. You could always ask dev worker if there is anyone else available who could support you on this

Cx

sarah707
10-12-2009, 07:51 AM
We'll be your support! :D

miffy
10-12-2009, 08:07 AM
That's not very helpful - I'd do as Christine says and talk to your development worker

There's lots of info on the forum to help you - if you're not sure about anything just ask :)

Miffy xx

Pauline
10-12-2009, 08:18 AM
That is awful. What is the point of her being a suppport if she doesn't know about EYFS :eek: We are offered extra training as support minders round here to ensure we know what we are doing.

Like has been said, we can all be your support minders on here - look no further :thumbsup:

Merry-Minder
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Slightly concerned that she got outstanding if she knows nothing about EYFS.
I have a support cm, shes not had the best outcome in her inspections, but I find her a great moral support.
As others have said this forum is great, and if im ever unsure about anything the forum is my first pport of call.
Maybe you could find someone local to you on here??

xxx

Kelly
10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Deffinately would have a chat with your development officer, i'm sure your support childminder gets some kind of payment/reward which isn't right if she cannot offer you useful support/advice.

~Chelle~
10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
That is awful. What is the point of her being a suppport if she doesn't know about EYFS :eek: We are offered extra training as support minders round here to ensure we know what we are doing.

Like has been said, we can all be your support minders on here - look no further :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly!

I have never heard of a support childminder needing support from the minders she supports!

I would have thought that she would have to know about EYFS to give advice etc.

I would be asking for a new support childminder if I was you.

I remember my support childminder was absolutely useless. I only heard from her once and that was when I called her and then there was a lunch set up to meet your support childminder and she was the only one not to turn up, she didnt call or anything.

I was adopted by my friend who was a support childminder and asked my development worker if I could change and she said that this was fine.

x

Desi-101
10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks all I know you will be a great help.

As far as my support workers "outstanding" grade goes, she was graded outstanding 3 years ago before the new EYFS started so she is panicking I think, as she is now due her inspection in Jan!

Sorry I should have said but she has been a great support to me when dealing with parents and other issues and has been "outstanding" to me in her support but when I did mention EYFS she said don't ask as I don't have a clue... which threw me.

I will be phoning my development worker next week to discuss this issue and I'm sure (hope) my support minder will get the support with EYFS she needs!

Thanks guys:)

Desi-101
10-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Me again,

Yes I also will be asking for a new support minder as well. Do they get payment for this???? if so I am not impressed! as mine never contacted me and I had a letter to say not to contact her she will contact me! I eventually made first contact 2 months later!!! out of frustration. Fair enough she is very busy with a full house I understand!

Pipsqueak
10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
OMG - thats shocking she doesn't know about EYFS. sorry there is NO excuse now that EYFS has been in over a year. Looks like she'll be losing her outstanding then doesn;t it. As a support minder I (like others) am offered extra training, my DO and DW are well aware of how I conduct my business and that I am up to date with everything etc.

Perhaps you ought to point her in the direction of this forum!

As has been said - we will be your support:thumbsup:

bexx
16-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Definitely speak to your development worker. I had a support childminder when I started minding, and she called me a couple of times, went through a script of things such as registering with HMRC, are you happy with what your doing, and that was it really. Then I got an inspection after being on maternity leave from April-August 08, and lo and behold EYFS had come in, and I didn't know anything about it. Got an inadequate grading, and am having a new inspection tomorrow. I asked for another support childminder, and this one was amzing. Visited me, I visited her, got loads of tips. I am very much ready now,but it opened my eyes up. I really think support minders should be much more proactive, and have good knowledge of the requirements of childminding. It's a shame for the support childminder, as she may lose her outstandiong grade due to this!