PDA

View Full Version : SORRy No fairy cakes at xmas party

heidi p
07-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Are local children centre is holding a party for christmas for childminding children . We were asked what sort of food they would like of course we said all the healthy snacks veg and houmus dips pitta bread fruit etc and when we asked for some fairy cakes SORRY not allowed not healthy eating.Is all going a bit to far its christmas and surely they are allowed one fairy cake as a treat NO sorry was their reply.
It has made me so mad:panic:

helenlc
07-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I am on the PTA at my DDs school. At the end of each half term, they have cake sale - parents donate cakes and the children buy them in their break time.

Anyway, there was talk last year that they were trying to ban it as it was unhealthy!! Well, yes it is - but we are talking 1-2 cakes once every 2 months!!!!:laughing:

It hasnt come in so far - thankfully.

Our childrens centre likes it to be healthy food only but come on - its Christmas, let the kids live a little!!!

flora
07-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I think that silly, sorry.

We have a Christmas party for the lo's at pg on Friday and I am sorry but healthy eating can go hang for one day :D

We have to teach the kids that excess of certain foods are bad that all foods can be nutritious in moderation

Rant over :blush:

Playmate
07-12-2009, 03:23 PM
The world has gone crazy :angry: I bought my 3 children up eating a well balanced healthy diet with occaisional treats (the same as I was bought up), but as soon as they were old enough to make choices and go out on their own they turned to very unhealthy food choices, I do fear for some of the modern day children who don't even get treats, I'm sure many will rebel as they get older.

Alibali
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Crazy!!!!!!!

margimum
07-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Whatever happened to a BALANCED diet?
Small children need quite a high calorie intake for a small amount of food, so a cake IS healthy!:)

LittleMissSparkles
07-12-2009, 04:06 PM
ridiculous, our school had huge cake fair for children in need and raised over £600 other week, some 'rules' are getting bloomin pathetic

Blaze
07-12-2009, 05:06 PM
part of healthy eating is not to exlude foods (unless for medical reasons)....it's all about moderation! It's more unhealthy for kids in the long run to learn that there are good foods & bad foods & this can cause all manner of eating problems! A little of what you fancy I believe is the saying:rolleyes:

gigglinggoblin
07-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I strongly feel that is a very bad message to be giving them. Having a little treat at a party is not unhealthy, teaching them that they must not have sweet stuff under any circumstances is stupid and asking for trouble. I would bring a big box and hand them out to everyone just to get the point across. Was willing to have it out with ofsted after support woman said they should just be having fruit but they agreed!

nannymcflea
07-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Take a pack, keep them hidden until you've all finished then hand them round...what are they going to do, take them off the kids?

madasahatter
07-12-2009, 05:35 PM
TAKE YOUR OWN!!!!!!!....get organised with some of the other mums so that you have fairy cakes, crisps, those festive chocolate biccies in the shape of reindeer and santas, party rings, mini sausages etc....and mince pies for the adults.

wendywu
07-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Ba Humbug. The children will really look forwad to the hummus and the carrot sticks and fruit.

Cakes are not unhealthy, cakes for breakfast, dinner, tea and snacks are.

We had our party last Friday and they did fruit AND cakes. Sounds like this lot are jobsworths. So dont tell me they wont be tucking into mince pies and the chocolates over christmas. :angry:

You know what you should do, get a massive box of thortons chocolates. Take them to the party and say ' well these were going to be a suprise for the staff, but seeing you are all so good about healthy eating us CM will just have to scoff them' :laughing:

Heaven Scent
07-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Ba Humbug. The children will really look forwad to the hummus and the carrot sticks and fruit.

Cakes are not unhealthy, cakes for breakfast, dinner, tea and snacks are.

We had our party last Friday and they did fruit AND cakes. Sounds like this lot are jobsworths. So dont tell me they wont be tucking into mince pies and the chocolates over christmas. :angry:

You know what you should do, get a massive box of thortons chocolates. Take them to the party and say ' well these were going to be a suprise for the staff, but seeing you are all so good about healthy eating us CM will just have to scoff them' :laughing:

Would that be a "Tool" box then?????!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

Heaven Scent
07-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh for goodness sake lets see what the ingredients in cakes are - Flour - not bad for you - Eggs - not bad for you (except in the late 1980's/early 1990's when Edwina Curry tried to make them bad for us). butter - kiddies need fat to help them absorb their fat soluble vitamines and sugar - yes OK not great but with a healthy meal there won't be a sugar high nor will it attack teeth too badly we are allowed 3 acid attacks per day - so not too bad and in proportion to the other ingredients not that much per bun anyway and as somone says little ones need a high calorie diet to give them energy for play.

Oh Poo to them I say give the kiddies a cake!!!! and put Jam on it all it is is preserved fruit!!!!!! one of their 5 a day!!!