PDA

View Full Version : Lining things up

Zoomie
07-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Twice I have noticed a mindee line things up.

First was when she took a whole lot of animals / people / vehicles from little people and lined them up around the edge of my rug.

Second time was when she took square puzzle pieces and lined them up in a straight row.

How can I link / further step these ?

Heaven Scent
07-12-2009, 02:36 PM
This is called a schema (possibly for putting things in order - you'd have to ask an expert who has done a course)- or in my Montessori world its called a sensitive period for order.

I would say next steps would be to provide lots of opportunities for putting things in order. Knowledge and understanding of the world and Problem solving - would be where it fits in. If you interact with her or notice her talking about it then you can add Language dev ie new vocab etc.

Sorry not worded that well but LO's went to sleep late and am trying to see as much as I can on here before I wake them in a few mins for the school run.

Ripeberry
07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
My four year old daughter does this every now and again. She enjoys playing with dominoes as it seems to meet her need to line things up. Also likes to do puzzles when she's in this mood.

Blaze
07-12-2009, 04:08 PM
It's a positionaing schema....more info here:

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=357248