PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit: Ready made or make your own?

Chell
05-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Where did you by your first aid kit from? Did you make your own or buy a ready made kit?

sarah707
05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I got my main one on a first aid course I did a few years ago... lucky me, they are not cheap.

I check contents every month against a check list and replace things as they go out of date or get used.

I have 3... one for outings small enough to go in my outings bag, one for the car and the main one for the house.

there is no definitive list of things you must have in a childminder's first aid kit.

There are things that must not be there eg tablets or medication (they not first aid).

Here's some guidance information on contents from the HSE website:

* a leaflet giving general guidance on first aid, eg HSE leaflet Basic advice on first aid at work;

* 20 individually wrapped sterile, hypo allergenic adhesive dressings (assorted sizes);

* two sterile eye pads;

* four individually wrapped triangular bandages (preferably sterile);

* six safety pins;

* six medium-sized (approximately 12 cm x 12 cm) individually wrapped sterile unmedicated wound dressings;

* two large (approximately 18 cm x 18 cm) sterile individually wrapped unmedicated wound dressings;

* one pair of disposable gloves (not latex in case of allergies).

:D

mama2three
05-12-2009, 09:34 PM
i bought mine ready made as it worked out cheaper. the main one was from ebay , i just searched childminder first aid i think. the other two were from home bargains , one is in my changing bag , the other in the car .

Pauline
05-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I made my own based on info from Social Service (the equivalent of Ofsted at the time) later I added a few things based on info from First Aid courses. Much the same as Sarah.

Chell
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks, I've just been searching, eBay have the same ones as NCMA but I found this one which is cheaper:

http://www.firstaid4less.co.uk/first-aid-for-children/childminder-kits.aspx Postage is £4.95.

Annie_T
05-12-2009, 11:49 PM
i got mine from my local co-cop pharmacy .. £9.99 x

tulip0803
06-12-2009, 03:48 AM
I bought 2 different ones from ebay - one for the car and one for the house. The car one was fine but the house one I found the box too small and it was like packing a suitcase, so I pinched my DH's large first aid box from when he was a roadside mechanic & swapped. I added a few more bits too as all the dressings were medium & large where small ones are better for tots.:D

nannymcflea
06-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Small travel one from Ikea and large one from various places(DIY), Boots, Sainsburys, Asda etc.

mamasheshe
06-12-2009, 06:44 PM
i got one through my childminding support group £12 but theirs extra in their so thought i might make a travel one up until then i'll shove this under the buggy it came with a wall mount so it's in the hall (or the buggy park as it's known in this house)

zillervalley
06-12-2009, 07:52 PM
I have always done my own

but in january I bought an n.c.m.a one

madasahatter
07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I bought my first one ready made as I needed a box too and it worked out a lot cheaper to get a ready made one. But since then I've topped it up as and when needed with new stuff as other stuff have gone out of date.
My car came with a kit and my outings kit I got from aldi for £2.99

nell57
07-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I bought mine from the company who ran the first aid course. Then just replace things as they get used or become out of date.