PDA

View Full Version : our austrian country style christmas tree

Blackhorse
05-12-2009, 03:52 PM
this is what they look like in most austrian houses (especially in the countryside) still need to add red candles (we use real ones not light chains) and then it will be finished..

thought you might want to see what it looks like..it is quite different to the one's you get over here I think...

Tam's Tribe
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Its lovely!!! . . . you all excited for Christmas?

Blackhorse
05-12-2009, 04:15 PM
yes very...spen the whole day getting the house ready for xmas and me and dd have been baking xmas cookies as well...we still have a couple to do and mindees want to help too...so we will do more next week after school

Tatia
05-12-2009, 04:28 PM
It's really pretty! I love the simplicity of it. Very clean and fresh and yet homey, too. :)

LOOPYLISA
05-12-2009, 04:33 PM
:thumbsup:

We put ours up today too :thumbsup:

6ft and smells lovely :D

PixiePetal
05-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Beautiful, my kids like me to throw the shiny stuff at our tree though, so not quite so subtle. Will post later :)

LittleMissSparkles
05-12-2009, 05:37 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

miffy
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
It looks lovely!

Miffy xx

ORKSIE
05-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Looks very pretty.
Love the Reindeer in the background:thumbsup:

sarah707
05-12-2009, 06:22 PM
It looks lovely! :D

Lou
05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
It looks lovely. mine looks quite similar, but i do have lights on it not candles.

balloon
06-12-2009, 07:49 AM
It's lovely Nicole :)

wendywu
06-12-2009, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE=Blackhorse;587371]this is what they look like in most austrian houses (especially in the countryside) still need to add red candles (we use real ones not light chains) and then it will be finished..

I would love real candles on my tree, how do you put them on and do you light them or are they just for show ?

It looks lovely even without the candles:)

wendywu
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM
It's really pretty! I love the simplicity of it. Very clean and fresh and yet homey, too. :)

Do you thread popcorn for yours Tatia ?

Blackhorse
06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Blackhorse;587371]this is what they look like in most austrian houses (especially in the countryside) still need to add red candles (we use real ones not light chains) and then it will be finished..

I would love real candles on my tree, how do you put them on and do you light them or are they just for show ?

It looks lovely even without the candles:)

there are special clips you get to clip them onto the branches
we light them as well.

BUT we put the tree up on the 24th (which is when our christmas is...not the 25th) and the way it works it that christkind (not santa clause) brings all the presents and the tree.
Children are not allowed in the living room on the 24th to give christkind the chance to prepare the tree and bring the presents...when christkind is finished and just before it leaves it rings a little bell and then the kids can come...
they come into the room with the xmas tree which they then see for the first time...with all the candles lit and the presents underneath the tree...some xmas carols on...very nice and festive.

after the first 3-4 days we do not light the candles anymore as the tree starts to dry out and it would be a fire hazard...(we always kept a bucket of water in the kitchen just in case but never had to use it)

Tatia
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Do you thread popcorn for yours Tatia ?

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I like popcorn and cranberries strung together but it takes a really, really long time. We tend to make these strands to decorate outside for the wildlife.

Blackhorse, thank you for telling us about your cultural celebration. I love learning about it!

red-ona
07-12-2009, 01:59 PM
awww great really nice!

Blackhorse
07-12-2009, 02:22 PM
mindees LOVED the tree...we added some dried orange slices onto the tree already this morning...

and I made some gingerbread decorations and mindee cant wait to get here after school to help me hang them up...:D

I love christmas!!:clapping:

Chimps Childminding
07-12-2009, 03:35 PM
it looks lovely!!! really simple but effective!!!

Tatia
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Blackhorse, do you bake your lemon slices to dry them? I want to do some with my DD. How long and on what temp would you do them?:)

Blackhorse
07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a dehydrator where I dry them....doenst take long and they come out very nice.
I am not sure how long they would take in the oven...

I would not put them in at more than 50C.
but it will take a long time.

What you could do is to put them in the oven for a couple of hours to start them off...then put them on the radiator for a couple of days...that should get them done nicely and will make the house smell nice at the same time...

Twinkles
07-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I have a dehydrator where I dry them....doenst take long and they come out very nice.

What you could do is to put them in the oven for a couple of hours to start them off...then put them on the radiator for a couple of days...that should get them done nicely and will make the house smell nice at the same time...

I have a dehydrator too, it only gets used at this time of year but it is very useful about now :thumbsup:

angeldelight
07-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Lovely tree

Angel xx

PixiePetal
07-12-2009, 09:22 PM

What else do you use a dehydrator for? - sounds like a good gadget :)

Blackhorse
07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I dry herbs from the garden...:thumbsup:

mushrooms
tomatoes
apples/pears/bananas for snacks....

but there is lots more you could do.....

Annie_T
08-12-2009, 09:02 AM
oh wow .. real candles .. on the tree? .. is that not a fire hazard ?

it nice tho ... i not had a real tree since i was a teen (at parents house)

Blackhorse
08-12-2009, 09:48 AM
oh wow .. real candles .. on the tree? .. is that not a fire hazard ?

it nice tho ... i not had a real tree since i was a teen (at parents house)

a fresh cut christmas tree is a hard thing to burn down....obviously it becomes a hazard if you light the candles when the tree is dry and old...but we dont do that...
there are some fires in the new year when people light the candles on old trees...but then there currently is a problem with electric light chains cheaply imported from china with concerns about their safety too...

If you do it responsibly it is not a problem..if you dont a simple household object turns into somthing dangerous....