PDA

View Full Version : slower cooker chicken ??

mamasheshe
04-12-2009, 06:25 PM
has anyone cooked a chicken in a slow cooker? I'm thinking of doing this at christmas but thought i'd have a test run this weekend !i'm guessing put it on in the morning (if i want to eat about 3ish)with a bit of veg underneath it and put a bit of stock in? do you think it would have to be covered by stock? thanks

Blackhorse
04-12-2009, 06:36 PM
we had chicken like that 2 days ago.

I make mine over night...put in the chicken and a bit of oil/water at the bottom as otherwise my slowcooker wont cook. but just a little bit...hardly any in fact

I then put spices over the chicken. (I used a mixed italian seasoning last time)
I have also had onions and carrots underneath before...

you will end up with a lot of stock in the slowcooker as the chicken releases a lot of moisture..so you dont have to add a lot at the beginning as it would only dilute the nice stock the chicken makes all on its own...

I discard the skin of the chicken once it comes out as I dont like it from the slowcooker...only like it crispy, which it wont get that way...but the rest of the chicken is very good.
it is so tender it falls off the bone...in fact the chicken falls to bits when you actually take it out of the pot...that's what happens to me..but you get all the meat off the bone so easily that I find no meat is being wasted at all.

I use the stock to make gravy ...very nice!

For christmas we will roast a turkey as I like the roast taste which you wont get from the slowcooker....but it still makes a nice meal

hth

Tatia
04-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Blackhorse has said everything I'd have said. Is it possible for you to have a trial run before the big day though, just to perfect your technique and figure out how much time you're gonna need?

LOOPYLISA
04-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Yummy is chicken in the slow cooker :thumbsup:

~Chelle~
04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I put mine in with some lemon, onions and garlic and no liquid whatsoever and it came out very moist and tasty, just fell off the bone.

Enjoy! x

Alibali
04-12-2009, 06:55 PM
It doesn't need any liquid, the chicken produces enough itself. And it is delicious. meat melts in the mouth mmmmmm

LOOPYLISA
04-12-2009, 07:01 PM
It doesn't need any liquid, the chicken produces enough itself. And it is delicious. meat melts in the mouth mmmmmm

No i never put any liquid in either :thumbsup:

patevans
05-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Do you always put the Veg at the bottom?

katickles
05-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I love chicken cooked this way. I don't always put anything in with it either :)

ajs
05-12-2009, 09:21 AM
I put mine in with some lemon, onions and garlic and no liquid whatsoever and it came out very moist and tasty, just fell off the bone.

Enjoy! x

that's what i do too

i don't put the veg in to eat with it as i think they come out greasy and i don't like them that way but others may not agree with me

the chicken is delicious and so tender it really does just fall off the bone.

yum yum i think i will do this tomorrow, it's no effort whatsoever just yummy when it's cooked

FizzysFriends
05-12-2009, 10:10 AM

I don't put veg in the bottom of mine, I do the veg seperate.

Someone was telling me the other day she does jacket spuds in hers which I thought was a great idea.

LOOPYLISA
05-12-2009, 10:15 AM

No i do veg separate :thumbsup:

mamasheshe
05-12-2009, 10:38 AM
wow thankyou i'll do a trial run this sunday and keep you posted! i thought veg in the bottom to add to the stock not to eat. My mums doing the lamb at christmas and i'm doing chicken and trimmings thought it might free up a bit of space in the cooker. thanks again

ajs
05-12-2009, 07:49 PM
wow thankyou i'll do a trial run this sunday and keep you posted! i thought veg in the bottom to add to the stock not to eat. My mums doing the lamb at christmas and i'm doing chicken and trimmings thought it might free up a bit of space in the cooker. thanks again

if you're using the veg as stock then yes why not they will add extra taste. delicious

mamasheshe
08-12-2009, 02:33 PM
well it was yummy and i will be doing two for christmas added a tiny amount of water really nice great advice as usual ladies x

TheBTeam
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
MM might get a slow cooker for christmas present, thinking of doing joints in it!