PDA

View Full Version : Giving blood for the first time tomorrow

Cazz
01-12-2009, 11:04 PM
I know I should have already been doing it but I went with dh years ago and they refused me as my iron level was too low at the time - just sort of never got round to going again. :blush:

But I'm going for it - I've booked an appointment for 3.10pm tomorrow. I've got quite a rare blood group so I feel it's especially important that I donate regularly and they are saying that blood supplies are going to be even lower this winter than normal.

Just hope I don't pass out!! I'm okay with injections and I've had loads of blood tests before but it's the thought of seeing that blood being removed!!

sue m
01-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Good for you Cazz :clapping: I never gave blood but my Mum got her gold badge many years ago for giving 50? pints. Not all at once of course :eek: :o It's a wonderful thing to do. I'm on the organ donor list, have been for many years now, it's a little something I can do to help someone. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you will be fine and not pass out.

Daddy Day Care
01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Well done cazz, I wish i could do this but I really hate needles.

Im ok once it goes in me but the fear before hand really gets to me, dunno why ive never had a bad experience with them.

I am on the bone marrow transplant list tho, and hope someday I may be able to help out there.

GAreth
xx

Twinkles
01-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Well done. :clapping: I used to give blood and I am soooo scared of needles they make me feel icky :panic:

I used to tell the nurse that I may feel woosey and they would make me stay still untill they were sure I wouldn't pass out.

I started to do this when one of my mindees died of leukemia, you don't realise how much blood products are used to help fight this.

Can't give now 'cos I had to have a transfusion a few years ago :(

Blaze
02-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Well done:clapping:

I used to give blood & be on the bone marrow register too... I'm not allowed to do either now as I was given a blood transfusion a few days after a cut of date.:(

It's such a shame - but nothing I can do about it!

angeldelight
02-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Oh I always wanted to give blood but my blood levels are always low plus all my other problems with blood so I am not allowed

I was only saying to hubby at the hospital yesterday I would love to be the person that goes around the wards taking blood etc - just imagine Cazz it might have ended up me doing it for you ha ha then you would have ran a mile I am sure :laughing:

I think its great that you are doing this Cazz I am sure you will be ok

Well done will be thinking of you

Angel xxx

Blaze
02-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Wiggly's a vampire - but wrong part of the country for Cazz!:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
02-12-2009, 08:30 AM
I went but was told that I was clinically unsuitable as my veins are a nightmare (god help me if I ever need a transfusion!)

My blood is good for everyone so it is in demand and it is so annoying that I cannot give

Blaze
02-12-2009, 08:50 AM
My veins are a nightmare too - they took it from the back of my hand.:thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
02-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Ive just signed up to be on the organ register :thumbsup:

Keep thinking about giving blood and know i should do it, i suppose its one of those things that we say we must do and never get round to it :blush:

Cazz
02-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Oh I always wanted to give blood but my blood levels are always low plus all my other problems with blood so I am not allowed

I was only saying to hubby at the hospital yesterday I would love to be the person that goes around the wards taking blood etc - just imagine Cazz it might have ended up me doing it for you ha ha then you would have ran a mile I am sure :laughing:

I think its great that you are doing this Cazz I am sure you will be ok

Well done will be thinking of you

Angel xxx

You'd really want to do that job? When I was in hospital for 3 weeks before I had my twins I had one of those ladies (phlembotomists or something like that!) coming round twice a day and I thought what an awful job it was!

I'm sure you would be gentle with me Angel - I'd trust you!!

Cazz
02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Wiggly's a vampire - but wrong part of the country for Cazz!:laughing:

Thank goodness!!

Think I'll stick to the conventinal (sp?) way!! :laughing:

angeldelight
02-12-2009, 10:16 AM
You'd really want to do that job? When I was in hospital for 3 weeks before I had my twins I had one of those ladies (phlembotomists or something like that!) coming round twice a day and I thought what an awful job it was!

I'm sure you would be gentle with me Angel - I'd trust you!!

Oh yes I really would have loved to have done something like that and yes of course you could trust me ha ha

Would also like to stitch people up when they have those really large cuts

I love anything to do with blood - weirdo I know :laughing:

I think it sounds like a great job

xxxxx

Cazz
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Oh no!! It's blood that makes me squeamish!! I'm going to be looking the other way when they take it from me today!!

angeldelight
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh no!! It's blood that makes me squeamish!! I'm going to be looking the other way when they take it from me today!!

I would be sitting and watching ha ha ha

Good luck xxxxx

Cazz
02-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I would be sitting and watching ha ha ha

Good luck xxxxx

If you lived near me I'd invite you along :D

No offence Angel but an obsession with blood is a little bit erm..... strange?

angeldelight
02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
If you lived near me I'd invite you along :D

No offence Angel but an obsession with blood is a little bit erm..... strange?

Cheeky ha ha ha

Angel xx

LittleAcorns
02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
good for you, Ive given blood for a while now, I have a rare blood group, am due any time now, you'll be fine its not bad at all :D xx

LittleAcorns
02-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Cazz what blood group are you ?

cherry
02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Good for you Cazz :thumbsup:

I gave my 50th donation this week, I received a badge, lovely pen and a certificate.

angeldelight
02-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Good for you Cazz :thumbsup:

I gave my 50th donation this week, I received a badge, lovely pen and a certificate.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Wow well done Cherry

Angel xx