PDA

View Full Version : Think I've just made a mistake!

Cazz
01-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I collected my 3 year old mindee from Nursery. She was very reluctant to eat her lunch and within half an hour she was rushing to the toilet but didn't make it - poo everywhere over her and my toilet :( (This was the second time she had been for one since we had been home). Sorry if anyone is eating!

I had no spare clothes so I cleaned her up and got a pair of my dd's pants (which were way too big!) and then phoned mum and said it was unlike her and so I think she may have an upset tummy. Mum got hold of dad (she doesn't drive) and then phoned me back to say they were going home to get clean clothes and then would pick the mindees up.

They pay me weekly in arrears - only come on a Tuesday now so I give them the invoice for that day when they collect. I suppose I was feeling generous (and relieved they were collecting as the last thing I need at the moment is a tummy bug :rolleyes: ) and decided as a goodwill gesture to deduct 1 and a half hours off the bill for each mindee (£9.60 less than it would have been) even though my contract says child illness is full fee - I explained that I normally charge but had done this. To be honest she wasn't as grateful as I would have been but they are very good at paying and always on time (or early) collecting so I wanted to be kind to them as they both left work early.

Now I've had time to think about it I think I've made a big mistake :eek: I've left myself open to them sending the kids if they're slightly unwell (as they know I charge for their non-attendance) - they'll be thinking if I have to phone them to come home from work early they won't have to pay which is the better option for them!

I think I'm too soft for this job. I have got to put a note through their door in the next couple of days to give dad directions to the childminding group Christmas Party on Monday - do you think it would be okay to type a piece on the bottom explaining that my deducting this amount was a one-off and in future I will have to charge for non-attendance or early departure?

Ripeberry
01-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Hard isn't it. My mindee was not well last week but OK now. But this morning his mum dropped him off and she looked really bad! Don't know how she managed to drive to be honest :eek:
So I've offered to take him home tonight (only 5 min drive) to save her getting out of her sick bed!
I'm so dreading getting this bug :( As I've not even got a stand-in CM yet.
All the ones I know and have asked are all full.

Ripeberry
01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
In reply to your question,. Yes type a little bit at the bottom, at least they will have it in writting then :thumbsup:

Cazz
01-12-2009, 05:32 PM
In reply to your question,. Yes type a little bit at the bottom, at least they will have it in writting then :thumbsup:

Thanks Ripeberry - I'm definetly going to do that to cover myself for the future!

First New Years Resolution - I must get tougher!!! :D (Mind you they didn't even ask, I just did the reduction - bit of a fool aren't I? :rolleyes: )

Hope your mindee's mum is okay.

Mari
01-12-2009, 11:30 PM
You should be ok. YOu give them an invoice so there should be no confusion in the future, this was a one off. If I go to the supermarket and buy an item on a buy one get one free offer I don't expect it to be there the next time I shop!!!!!

Cazz
01-12-2009, 11:32 PM
You should be ok. YOu give them an invoice so there should be no confusion in the future, this was a one off. If I go to the supermarket and buy an item on a buy one get one free offer I don't expect it to be there the next time I shop!!!!!

Thats a really good point!! Thanks :thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
02-12-2009, 08:05 AM
yeah i wouldnt bother with the note, just because you did it once doesnt mean you have to again..it isnt in the contracts so dont worry about it and dont worry about being too soft i believe its all a learning curve so just notch this one up to experience and try not to stress over it
xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
02-12-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't think your parents will do that

If they have dropped everything to come home they care and not about money

I would say to them next time that you did this out of good will but in the future you will be charging as per contract

Try to keep a business head on when it comes to money and contracts otherwise you will just get in a mess, parents take advantage and resentment creeps in.

emmadines
03-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I would leave it as it is now hun, if it happens next time charge full fee, if they ask about it just say then that it was a one off. Im sure they will understand!! if they did start to take the mickey in that way they will soon stop!!