PDA

View Full Version : Meeting a baby and Parents for the first time!

mummyjo
01-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi All,

The good news is that I had my pre-reg visit last week and it all went really well. The Inspector was lovely, and I didn't get any actions so now I am just waiting for CRB checks.

In the meantime I have had an enquiry for a baby who is 5 months old to start in February. The Parents would like to come and meet me at the weekend and I am really nervous! I have 2 of my own children and I have worked with babies many moons ago, but I am anxious about how the Parents will think I relate to their son. I love babies but just feel awkward when I am being watched and judged.

I want to make a good impression. What sort of toys should I have for a 5 month old that I can get out and play with him, or what sort of things should I be doing to interact with him?

Thsnkas for your replies in advance! :)

Tinglesnark
01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
oh congratulations! looking good for you!
i would say that you should just get a small selection of bright toys out - a few bricks, something they can shake about...stuff that can be gummed to death and then sit on the floor with the baby...you probably wont get much time to play as such but just make contact with the baby whilst you discuss things with the parents...having said this, ive only had one enquiry and i didnt get the job so id look to someone else really lol
good luck
x

Straws
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Well done on your pre-reg, just be yourself when meeting parents and interact with baby, and always ask if they have any questions. I don't wnat to put a damper on things but you can't do any childminding untill your certificate arrives, CRB's can take weeks you might not be fully registered in Feb.

Straws xx

Mouse
01-12-2009, 12:41 PM
don't wnat to put a damper on things but you can't do any childminding untill your certificate arrives, CRB's can take weeks you might not be fully registered in Feb.

Straws xx

I agree with that. I have known them take MONTHS to come through. Don't be surprised if it's not through for Feb.

On the positive side though, well done for getting your first meeting :thumbsup:

I would suggest getting a baby play mat, or even a blanket, that you can put on the floor for the baby to lie on. At that age they are very often brought in in a car seat and I tend to leave them in there to start with while I have a chat with parents, show them my portfolio etc. I then ask if it's OK to get the baby out while they look at my info (though if the baby is asleep, I leave it where it is!).
I've found it's best to be able to lie the baby down at least some of the time as you still need to be showing things to parents & need your hands free.
Have a mat ready, so you haven't got to lie the baby straight onto the floor.

CherryBlossom
01-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I had my first set of parents come out this weekend, and even though they said they loved me went with somebody else.
They were first time parents and very over protective, so I didn't want to take the baby straight from them-so I waited until they asked if I wanted to hold her. Maybe I should have done things differently.
I suppose you never know what to do-if it feels right to the parent then they will go with you.
Just be yourself.
Good luck

x

clio0602
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Good luck with meeting. Colourful noisy toys usually go down well lol

I phoned CRB his morn to ask why mine was taking so long in stage1 and they said it was because of the postal strikes and they've got a backlog :(

Hope all goes well x

Tinglesnark
01-12-2009, 04:05 PM
my crb's took 6 weeks and my friends took 2 weeks so you really cant tell can you? good luck!:thumbsup:

CherryBlossom
03-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Ofsted said I would be reg by end of Nov :(
CRBS stilllllll waiting for-been about 6 weeks. Doesn't look like I will be able to start until the new year now :(

x