PDA

View Full Version : Best boots for waking on snow & ice?

Mouse
01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I've just done the first school run of the winter (are we even in winter yet?) when we've had ice on the ground.

I HATE it! I have this massive fear of falling over and can feel my body tensing up as I'm walking. My boots didn't really help as they have no grip.

Has anyone one got the perfect boots for walking in snow & ice? I want something that is going to let me plod along the slippy pavements without the fear of ending up flat on my backside!

I'm dreading the real bad weather coming and will panic if it's anything like it was last year when the pavements were sheer ice. I didn't do a school run last year, so could stay indoors when it was like that :blush:

All suggestions VERY gratefully received!

Twinkles
01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
I have big leather walking boots. They have a great grip and you can wear thick socks inside.
I use mine every day except in the height of summer. They are expensive to start with if you buy good ones but they last for ages.

Blaze
01-12-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm with Twinkles - walking boots - definately - mine are 10 years old & still going strong!:thumbsup:

Mouse
01-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I didn't even think of walking boots!

Thanks ladies :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I bought caterpillar boots when I was pregnant 2 years ago and feel very safe in them

TheBTeam
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I have a pair of the snow boots from Milletts, that have a lot of grip on the bottom, a warm lining and are padded and waterproof.

sarah707
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I bought a pair of boots from Clarks recently - they are furry and warm and the box says anti slip...

Fingers crossed because I get scared too so I know how you feel :D

buildingblocks
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
I've just done the first school run of the winter (are we even in winter yet?) when we've had ice on the ground.

I HATE it! I have this massive fear of falling over and can feel my body tensing up as I'm walking. My boots didn't really help as they have no grip.

Has anyone one got the perfect boots for walking in snow & ice? I want something that is going to let me plod along the slippy pavements without the fear of ending up flat on my backside!

I'm dreading the real bad weather coming and will panic if it's anything like it was last year when the pavements were sheer ice. I didn't do a school run last year, so could stay indoors when it was like that :blush:

All suggestions VERY gratefully received!

I wear walking shoes (walking boots in snow) and still slip all over the place. My Dad in his 80's would go out with shoes with the smoothest sole on and never slip. He used to say I slipped because I was holding myself wrong and waiting to fall. I am terrified of falling as I have dodgy knees and back and am terrified of damaging them if I fall.

nannymcflea
01-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I wear walking shoes (walking boots in snow) and still slip all over the place. My Dad in his 80's would go out with shoes with the smoothest sole on and never slip. He used to say I slipped because I was holding myself wrong and waiting to fall. I am terrified of falling as I have dodgy knees and back and am terrified of damaging them if I fall.

I slip and slide with walking boots too,it doesn't make a difference with ice.:( My mate says "just walk normal, then you won't slide as much"...guess she's on the same track as your dad!:D

Winnie
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I wear walking boots when its bad and use a stick (pole) ....or take a pushchair to hang onto :thumbsup:

Spangles
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I bought these a couple of years ago but not had to wear them yet!

They walk around on pure ice on the telly and have perfect grip.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.431812

margimum
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I wear FlyFlots (fromIdeal world) and they are so comfy and non slip. Even when walking around on wet marble floor on holiday I felt safe.
Not sure if they make boots as I have hot feet and can only wear backless shoes or sandals.:eek:

Mouse
01-12-2009, 08:21 PM

That's my problem - I'm so tense when I walk on ice that I'm sure it makes it 10 times worse.
I really would prefer to hibernate for the winter & only go out as far as the garden :D

Amaranth
01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I am just the same. I suffer from a weak lower back, so falling would put me out of action for a while :(
I love my gorgeous purple Dr marten boots :thumbsup: they have been great and they are soooo comfy (once you have worn them in.)

sweets
01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I am just the same. I suffer from a weak lower back, so falling would put me out of action for a while :(
I love my gorgeous purple Dr marten boots :thumbsup: they have been great and they are soooo comfy (once you have worn them in.)

i have a pair of brown dr martin ankle boots that i had for 20 years!! when i put them on its like putting a pair of socks on. they are great.

TheBTeam
01-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I definitely agree with those that say the more relaxed you are and the more normal you walk the better, my husband never falls, whereas me who simply can not relax or walk normally on ice/mud/banks etc fall over regularly!

Still can't change it though!