PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please!

Ramona
30-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site but desperate for some information and advice. I am currently in the process of registering as a childminder. My youngest child is at full time school and I felt ready to go back to work and this met all the criteria to still be at home with my children and earn some money - probably the same reasons as most of the childminders on here!

I have completed my course, completed first aid, had first inspection and submitted my medical forms and this is where the potential problem has started. I had twin girls in 2002 and one of them was born with all sorts of abnormalities. She has since grown into a fantastic kid and copes with everything really well. I was diagnosed with PND 5 months after they were born and prior to going on to anti depressants had an episode where I got so angry I felt like biting one of the girls, but had enough self restraint to not do it to them and bit myself instead. It was the first and only episode of that and after I got medication, I was absolutely fine , picked myself up and carried on being a good mum. I came off the tablets for a while and then had my son and felt that overwhelming low again so went back on them and have been on them since - he is now 41/2. I have never since that time ever felt like harming my children or myself and at that period of time, was so low and grieving over the child I felt I had missed out on (not that I think any of that now or have done for a long time).

At the time of seeing my Dr first time around I was offered a counselling session which I didn't find particularly helpful, however they wrote a brief report and at the time felt the risk of me self harming or harming others was slightly above very low risk. This is now haunting me 71/2 years later :( as this was put into my medical form for Ofsted. They wrote back to my Dr asking for more information which I had fully expected.

However, I have just spoken to my Dr and he seems to think that my chances of Ofsted registering me are practically zero (not sure if this is because I am still on the anti-d's). He has said he can't lie about what happened in the past (which I completely understand and agree with), but this was in the past - 71/2 years ago! I am really upset about this and know I may be jumping the gun in thinking the worst, but I so want to do this and know I would be a good minder - I love children and volunteer regularly at my children's school in the Early years unit. I would never think of harming another child (and certainly not myself anymore either!).

I totally understand that they have to be so careful, but I feel like something that was a one off episode is potentially going to ruin my chances of working with children. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this and is there anything I can do to back up my case?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! Ramona

TheBTeam
30-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Sorry I have no idea how to help, but didn't want to read and run, hopefully someone wiser will be along very shortly. Good luck

Pipsqueak
30-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Hopefully to put your mind at rest I had PND after 2nd son and I too admitted to feelings of self-harm. This all went on my report to Ofsted, they chatted to me about it and they were satisfied that it was (then) 5 years ago. What laughingly did hold up my certificate though was a case of abnormal cervical cells:rolleyes: I had to fight tooth and nail for my certificate.

Right it is NOT down to your doctor to say what or if Ofsted may register you or not, he is overstepping the mark. Contrary to what he (she?) thinks he is not God and not all seeing and doing.

Once Ofsted have received your application they may want to talk to you further.

If you are worried, ring and talk to Ofsted about your concerns - they are not monsters (its only when you are a fully fledged minder and want a straight answer from them lol).

caz3007
30-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I had depression in the past and although I wasnt on Anti-D's at registration, I had had a pretty bad time in the past.

I put a covering letter in with my docs certificate explaining that I was fine now and why the problems had occured and I had no problem, not even a follow up re my cert.

I wouldnt worry at this stage and like someone else said, they may contact you for a chat. It doesnt mean that you cant childmind

LittleMissSparkles
30-11-2009, 09:01 PM
agree with Pip x

Your GP doesnt know if Ofsted will say yes or no to be honest as Pip has said he shouldnt have said that to you for a start. The decison is not down to him.

I had an issue prior to registering which I wont go into but by being honest and open and telling Ofsted the full story they can then make a judgement on your individual circumstances.

I hope the outcome is the one you want Ramona, good luck xxx

Ramona
01-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi all,

Thanks so much for your replies. It has definitely put my mind at ease. I think I will put a letter in with the report the Dr sends back explaining the circumstances at the time and that I have not had any feelings such as those since then and hopefully that may help. I would be so disappointed not to be able to do this, so hopefully all will be ok.

Thank you for being so reassuring - I am sure I will be using this forum a lot more in the coming months!!

Ramona x

guest3
02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi Ramona,
I too have had depression on and off over the past 16 years and was worried that it would affect my registration. I have had counselling on more than one accasion and am permanently on anti- depressants. These do however control my depression and, after a bit of a delay, Ofsted doctors said I was ok to be registered.
I hope you have a similar outcome

Wendy x

Trouble
02-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Alot of people have or still have depression and are now registered i would wait and see:D :thumbsup:

buildingblocks
03-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Firstly (((((hugs)))))

Try not to worry Ofsted are not the ogres they seem to be - well not all the time lol. This will be a worrying time for you until you find out one way or another but try not to worry too much. I have not been in your position with PND but I had to put something similar down on my initial forms.

When I first met my husband and moved in with him I was spending hours at night in tears for no reason, throwing things at him and heaven knows what else I have no idea why on earth he stayed with me.

I was told by the doctor that I had depression and was referred to a psychiatrist. I was not on anti depressants and mine was all down to the pill and the breakdown of my previous marriage (three nurses I knew all said it was the pill which I told the doctor but he said no it was depression).

My usual doctor was lovely and told me exactly what she was going to put on the form if asked by Osted I also have Menieres Disease which could have proved a problem for me as well. It was worrying waiting to find out if it would make any difference to my application. So long as you have been honest which you have hopefully things will be fine for you.

I was more worried about the fact that I had been sacked by a nursery (for no reason I hasten to add) and it took me over a year to send my forms in because of this (even thought the guy in charge assured me it would be fine).

Good luck and try not to let yourself worry too much about it until you hear from Ofsted what the outcome is. Easier said than done I know