PDA

View Full Version : Am I being reasonable?

millie80
28-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I mind my next door neighbours child 5 days a week and they are given a 50p per hour discount. There have been quite a few occasions that they do not pay on the day specified and yesterday was another one of those days - dad said the mam would come over later in the day to pay but ive not heard anything from them. I know its only 1 day late but being next door how could they not say anything to me especially when ive told them in the past to at least tell me if they are going to be late. i was going to give it untill 6pm and then drop the bill with a £12 late payment fee listed in accordance with the contract. so far ive always let them off the charge but i am going to get a late payment from one of my bills now as i couldnt get the money into my account on time (they pay by cash as i dont like giving my bank details out). its just so annoying as i always make a point of asking parents what pay day would be best for them as theres no point requesting a payment when they havent been payed, what would you do? sorry if ive babbled a bit

buildingblocks
28-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Hard one this one as it is you neighbour but you have to be business like and start as you mean to go on.

I do not give discounts at all but as you do I would say to them that unless they are going to pay you on time then you will not be able to give them the discount.

Yes charge them the late payment fee (again if you haven't in the past they might argue over this but you have to stay strong). In future charge them every time they are late. One of the reasons they pay you late is possibly because you haven't implemented it before even though your contracts states it.

It may sound harsh so forgive me there is no point having it in your contracts and not following it through.

Marie-louise
29-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi, I think your being reasonable, I had a parent who was the same, they went on holiday twice without paying me and there live opposite my house so no excuses. I wrote a letter to the parent and got her to read it in front of me so I knew she,d read it saying in future I needed payment upfront and the hours needed two weeks in advance so I could plan my week (it was shift work). In the end I never renewed their contract and gave 6weeks notice for her to make other arrangements, at the end of the day it is your livleyhood and you need to make it work for you. The more favours you give the more they will expect. Good luck, hope you get it sorted x