PDA

View Full Version : Double pushchair nightmare

mpoppins
24-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Ah, having a nightmare. Just got hold of a double buggy after a big search for a reasonably priced one, it's a Maclaren twin traveller. I took it for a test drive today and it's so awkward to push. It's heavy and really hard to get up curbs. I am now aching like mad.
Just wondering if anybody has found this problem and if they can recommend a better buggy. Has anybody got the out and about nippa, I've heard they are easy to push. I know a double buggy isn't going to be as easy a single but surely it shoudn't feel like I've just been to the gym?!!!!
:idea: Marie

Tiger Lilly
24-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry help, but i have the same one (havent used it yet), but i have a baby starting on thursday, so i will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Work out here we come..LOL.x

jumpinjen
24-11-2009, 10:09 PM
They do take some physcial adjustment!! and they all have their pros and cons.... the ones you can fit in your boot are a pig to push, the snazzy ones you can push with your little finger are the size of the titanic and don't fit anywhere, you get the picture, i hate my double buggy too, and often opt for back carrier rucksack and single for the school run!

jenni x

sweets
24-11-2009, 10:27 PM
jane powertwin in my opinion is the best double buggy ever! its light, easy to get up kerbs, both children have a good view and folds up small.

the only big disadvantage is th price! i got mine from ebay for £200 but its money well spent. i know it sounds a lot for a second hand buggy but if its helps your physical health its well worth it. i have pushed lots of single buggies that are heavier than it!

PixiePetal
24-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Maclarens can't be beaten for folding in a boot but all minders I know get 'double buggy back' with them - even me! :rolleyes:

Nipper is great to push - almost does it by itself :) But yes, big too :(

I have a bulky Jane twin two which now I have moved house and need to catch the bus, is too big and I will need a phil and teds. I can't win - tried them all in the last 15 years, they all have pros and cons.

CAZMCA
25-11-2009, 12:25 AM
i have the phil and teds and it is fabulous! i have had 17 buggies and this is by far the best! my 4 yr old still fits in it, we use it for her if we are on days out and she gets tired, the clip off seat is such a good idea and it is so easy to push!:clapping:

daisyboo1980
25-11-2009, 07:28 AM
i have the phil and teds and it is fabulous! i have had 17 buggies and this is by far the best! my 4 yr old still fits in it, we use it for her if we are on days out and she gets tired, the clip off seat is such a good idea and it is so easy to push!:clapping:

i agree i went through 4 double buggies and my phil and ted is the best plus it fits in the boot with all seats up

Pudding Girl
25-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Phil * Teds and Nippers get my vote :thumbsup:

HomefromHome
25-11-2009, 08:27 AM
i have this buggy and never found it a prob! i had a tandem before which was a nighmare! with the maclaren, you need to use your foot on the frame at the back the help up curbs. fraid it's a case of getting used to it:blush: just imagine how fit you'll be!! oh and make sure your front wheels are unlocked from swivel!:)

balloon
25-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Pardon me for asking, hope its not rude but was it new?

If not check the elbow joints and the back wheels. Uneven wear on the back wheels makes it harder to push and once the elbow joints are loose you may as well chuck it in the skip... (They should be really tight when the buggy is put up).

I have a phil and teds sport which is brill and an easy push but can become unbalanced going up and down steps (for example to shops) when the children are heavier.

A mountain buggy double urban - again a one handed push, fantastic for the children but a largish fold (Not as bad as most side by side all terrains though)

An ABC Everest double/triple which is heavier to push but fab when you need to transport 3 and deffo the best of all the triples I tried.

A maclaren twin triumph - great for when they were little but not so good now they're bigger as it's heavy to push and they put their feet on the wheels making it harder!

Hope that helps :)

Tinglesnark
25-11-2009, 08:47 AM
i have seen a buggy advertised in who minds and ive seen others using it and it is a city jogger with a 3rd seat attached to it - its what i want to get cos i have a tandem (icandy pear) for my own 2 and its killing me to push it round unless i get a good momentum but then its almost impossible to stop :eek:
not a practical buggy by any stretch of the imagination! shame cos ive always loved it :rolleyes:
have a google for a T3 jogger - its my dream to get one haha!

PixiePetal
25-11-2009, 08:54 AM
i have seen a buggy advertised in who minds and ive seen others using it and it is a city jogger with a 3rd seat attached to it - its what i want to get cos i have a tandem (icandy pear) for my own 2 and its killing me to push it round unless i get a good momentum but then its almost impossible to stop :eek:
not a practical buggy by any stretch of the imagination! shame cos ive always loved it :rolleyes:
have a google for a T3 jogger - its my dream to get one haha!

Is the icandy pear a buggy I could get on a bus? and are the seats big enough for 2.5 yr olds as they look quite small when I have looked at it on PC?

Tinglesnark
25-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Is the icandy pear a buggy I could get on a bus? and are the seats big enough for 2.5 yr olds as they look quite small when I have looked at it on PC?

no you would never get it on a bus with 2 children on it, as i said its all i can do to push it! i was talking about looking at the T3 jogger, that is my dream buggy :D
the icandy has plenty of body room but ive found my 2.5yr old is far too tall for it to have the hood up comfortably hth

cabby
25-11-2009, 09:23 AM
i have the T3 jogger and it really is fab:clapping:

ive had a lot of double and triples and this one really is the best of both worlds!!!!

mpoppins
25-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
25-11-2009, 12:21 PM
no you would never get it on a bus with 2 children on it, as i said its all i can do to push it! i was talking about looking at the T3 jogger, that is my dream buggy :D
the icandy has plenty of body room but ive found my 2.5yr old is far too tall for it to have the hood up comfortably hth

thanks, will stick with the P&T idea then :thumbsup:

lnmrobbo
25-11-2009, 12:24 PM
jane powertwin in my opinion is the best double buggy ever! its light, easy to get up kerbs, both children have a good view and folds up small.

the only big disadvantage is th price! i got mine from ebay for £200 but its money well spent. i know it sounds a lot for a second hand buggy but if its helps your physical health its well worth it. i have pushed lots of single buggies that are heavier than it!

I have to agree with Sweets.
i have 5 of my own children, been through a lot of pushchairs!
By far the Jane Powertwin is the best. I was the same and got mine 2nd hand, locally and only paid £80. It was still in immaculate condition and carried my youngest 2 comfortably (there is 11 months between them).
it was also soooo easy to push and manouvere, Ive never found anything that compares to it!

Lisa.

It's a small world
25-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I havew a koochi and it fits into my zafira with all seats up.plus its seats go totally flat if out and about and lo/babies need sleeps.

mamasheshe
25-11-2009, 04:05 PM
i'm hoping to get an out and about or a mountain terrain as this is what i can get through my door! i don't drive so don't need to worry about getting it into back of a car thank god!

francinejayne
05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
does anyone know if you can fit a board for a toddler to stand on at the back of a side by side double buggy?