PDA

View Full Version : Current Fees for teenage babysitters

Heaven Scent
24-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Ok, My son turns 14 tomorrow and the mum of one of my mindees who I have looked after since I first started out and he was just 4mths old keeps asking when my N will be old enough to babysit - now he is she can't wait to have him -he is totally lovely with the children and C totally loves him now what I need to know is a fare rate of pay for a child of 14 to earn for babysitting - I haven't needed a sitter for years and the last lot I had were all quite old so I have no bench mark anymore - what do some of you pay or what have some of your own teenagers been paid recently for babysitting???

The mum has asked me to find out - I don't want to say too much so she will continue to ask him and I don't want to say too little so he will value his little job!!! Also what is the current trend for getting teenagers home from babysitting jobs??? They live about 15 mins walk from us!!! & its about £3.00 in a taxi before midnight.

LittleMissSparkles
24-11-2009, 03:53 PM
havent a clue babe sorry just wanted to wish your ds lots of luck in his new venture xxx

PixiePetal
24-11-2009, 03:54 PM
My DD is 15, I said she can do it soon and about £5/hr is the rate.

I would expect them to give her a lift home or use my local taxis and pay for that on top of babysitting.

mama2three
24-11-2009, 04:28 PM
sorry to play devils advocate here. are you sure youre happy with him babysitting? as the mum of 16 and 14 year old boys I do think its a huge amount of responsibility. Im sure hes great with the mindee , i know my boys are , and mature and responsible. But could he cope in an emergency? At the very least Id get him some first aid training.
I know most of us probably babysat from about 14 and had no problems. But (I admit to being a bit overprotective) , how could he cope if lo choked , there was a fire , whatever.
My eldest is only now allowed to look after his little brother (3) since he turned 16.
but i think about £15 a night plus a taxi home is a fair amount to pay.

ajs
24-11-2009, 04:43 PM
my son started babysitting from about 14, with some mindees of mine i am sure it will be fine for him to do it
my girls charge £3.50 an hour and expect to be either brought home or have the taxi paid for by the parents
i suppose it depends on the charges in your area, it may be worth asking other parents in your area what they pay.

good luck to him though it's great the parents want him

huggableshelly
24-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I pay my neighbour £4.00 an hour she is now 17 and only has them during the day if I'm on a course, she also has them in her home so her Mom is there to help.

I based the fee on what I charge an hour but knowing i'm not using her for evening sitting.

tammerisk
24-11-2009, 05:04 PM
i use to pay my nieboughs girl 10 pound to babysit but it was only ever so we could go bingo which is about 3 hours and we were always back by about ten. if it was later than that say till about half eleven or mid night i woudl pay about 15 pounds and i would always make sure they got home either by bringing them myself (walking if it not far) or by paying a taxi for them

funtoplay
24-11-2009, 05:17 PM
HI,

I pay mine £5/Hr plus taxis home.

Julia

youarewhatyoueat
24-11-2009, 05:36 PM
My daughter age 14 babysits for £5 per hour, I take and fetch her and she is close enough that I could be there in 15 mins if need be, there is also a friend of mine in the house opposite that she could go to in an emergency.
Only you can decide if you trust him, but I generally stay for 10/15 mins to make sure she is happy etc.

sarah707
24-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Dd charged £4 an hour last year and £5 now she's 16 :D

Heaven Scent
24-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Niall is a very sensible and sensitive boy - I have brought my two up to be very independant. Niall is a boy scout and has recently joined the air cadets. He had done various first badges with the scouts and was chosen in school last year to do a 1 day first aid course and has a certificate.

I am not far from him and would stay off the booze for the first few times he would be there. We have quite a few friends who live in the Development where mindees family live so someone could be at hand very quickly and stay there until either the parents or I could get there. I am also going to get them to introduce him to their friends and neighbours so he has even more points of contact. I have also suggested that they use him for early doors/short outings first so he can settle in slowly.

Also I did tonnes of babysitting when I was 14 I also used to travel from school by train to a house miles from my home to babysit for a lady and had to walk for a couple of miles to her house and I'd do the same thing the next morning - she was supposed to pick me up and drop me off at the station but she suffered with her nerves and was a bit of a premadona so often didn't - and that was years and years before mobile phones. I was 15 at the time.