PDA

View Full Version : Enquiry question

chrissie250
22-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone

Can i have your views please on this one!

I have had an enquiry for 2 boys and mum is a trainee nurse, now 1 of the boys goes to school full time and the other 1 is at nursery when mum is at work, she would like me before and after school only no holiday cover as in the holidays they will both go to nursery (it is a normal nursery not a school nursery obviously) bearing in mind she will be paying for nursery and myself term time in holidays would i be right in saying i will charge her her normal weekly fee to keep the place for term time in the holidays as she will be paying for 2 slots and 2 places.
The mum is not prepared to leave the boys just with me as she has been using this nursery for some years now, cause i have already thought of asking her to come just to me!
(I actually think that NHS is paying for her childcare for her)

To cut a long story short do you all think it is worth taking these children on as i know i am going to be earning from them, im thinking i could earn more from a family that need me before and after school and holidays!

Thanks all
Chrissie

Ripeberry
22-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds like she wants term-time only with no retainer. If it's not worth your while then don't take it on and wait for someone who will need holiday care.
I myself don't offer holiday care as I'm not open in the holidays, that is for my familly time. But I will do ad-hoc days for existing mindees, especially in the long summer holidays.

Zoomie
23-11-2009, 04:07 PM
If you add 25% onto your hourly fee, you effectively get yourself a half-fee 'retainer' for the holidays, and parent's shouldn't really feel it, as they get holidays free.

sorry, haven't really explained it well.

Right now, I am just look at anything I can get cos finances aren't too healthy. :blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
23-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I have term time contracts only and well as holiday contracts only but it depends on your finances as to whether you charge a retainer.

Maybe a slightly inflated rate during term time.

buildingblocks
25-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I have had an enquiry for 2 boys and mum is a trainee nurse, now 1 of the boys goes to school full time and the other 1 is at nursery when mum is at work, she would like me before and after school only no holiday cover as in the holidays they will both go to nursery (it is a normal nursery not a school nursery obviously) bearing in mind she will be paying for nursery and myself term time in holidays would i be right in saying i will charge her her normal weekly fee to keep the place for term time in the holidays as she will be paying for 2 slots and 2 places.

Hello :waving:
I agree with what has been said I would charge a slightly higher fee to cover yourself and remember that this then leaves you with their spaces to fill in the holiday as they would be available for someone else then. I charge £4 an hour for before and after school for a minimum of three hours a day. But I think she would probably pay £4.50 an hour for the hours she wants depending on how desperate she is for care. Just remember she needs to pay for the full week as the days will vary from week to week. Either a retainer for the days she doesn't use or full fee as you cannot let the place (In this case I would go for the second option. Remember she needs you as very few people cover this school and because of this I think you may be able to fill the school holiday places that they don't use.

The mum is not prepared to leave the boys just with me as she has been using this nursery for some years now, cause i have already thought of asking her to come just to me! (I actually think that NHS is paying for her childcare for her)

Think part of this is also that she will get funding for the three year old place)

To cut a long story short do you all think it is worth taking these children on as i know i am going to be earning from them, im thinking i could earn more from a family that need me before and after school and holidays!

The other option you have is that you can help her out while you set up and if you find that it isn't working just give her notice. Remember that she needs you more than you need her. But don't do it if you do not feel right about it.

Thanks all
Chrissie

I think there may be a couple of parents at the infants who may require help with just holiday care and if you want if I see them I will pass your number on.

Remember the younger one will be taking up an under 5 space as well so you need to take this into account and I would definitely make sure you charge extra because of this. But depending on what time you take this child to nursery then you still have that space for an under 5 if you want to fill it. You could either drop to nursery before school freeing up the space from after the school run or once you have dropped to school do the nursery run freeing the space up from say 9.30.

Remember you could always do it short term if the parent is desperate and being seen at school will get you known and more enquiries possibly. It depends how urgent your need to start earning is.

You know where I am if you need to talk it through.

buildingblocks
26-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I know of someone at School who is after holiday care only (Priory Lane Juniors is opening some form of out of school care but only till 5pm apparently) so she needs only holiday care not sure what age child is but think last year infants. She is going to give me her number on to pass onto you.

chrissie250
02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
You really are a gem kate, thankyou x

Yes i would consider holiday care only, if you can get the number would be great, thanks again x

Chrissie