PDA

View Full Version : Help with observation wording.

Monkey1
04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
I went on the first part of the training last night and wanted to implement it straight away as i'm not due an inspection till Nov.

I set up a printing with toilet rolls activity as our shape of the week is circles.
R aged 4 randomly printed all over his first piece. He asked for another piece and joined several circles together. "look Paula, i have made a catterpilla"
(making connections) He used the edge of the tube to make eyes and 'ears'
He then abandoned the tube and printed using his fingers to make legs.
He dipped his fingers into the paint and then started mixing them together on the paper." look i have mixed them all together and turned it brown!
I have some fab photos to go with it but just a bit unsure how to word it. Has anyone got any pointers to get me off to a good start? Any suggestions most welcome and appreciated.

oakie dokie
04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
oh monkey i wish i had, I'm the same not very good with words, my obs don't look or sound very professional :panic: sorry cannot help

hazelx

Tatia
04-03-2008, 11:03 AM
How about wording it just like that? You've done a great job saying exactly what child did and what you saw him do. No need for fancyschmancy language. You've given a word picture just by explaining step by syep what happened.

I think it's that easy!:clapping:

Lou
04-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Yes i would just write it like you have done, and add what areas of development it links to and what yo will do next. x

sarah707
04-03-2008, 11:12 AM
I set up a printing with toilet rolls activity as our shape of the week is circles.
Good start... adult led activity box ticked
R aged 4 randomly printed all over his first piece. He asked for another piece and joined several circles together. "look Paula, i have made a catterpilla"
(making connections)
CD making connections like you say. Depending on his age you could comment on how he counted the circles PSR&N using numbers
He used the edge of the tube to make eyes and 'ears'
He then abandoned the tube and printed using his fingers to make legs.
Link to CD - using imagination and KUW - knowing what a caterpillar looks like
He dipped his fingers into the paint and then started mixing them together on the paper." look i have mixed them all together and turned it brown!
CD again - he's learning about colour mixing
I have some fab photos to go with it but just a bit unsure how to word it. Has anyone got any pointers to get me off to a good start? Any suggestions most welcome and appreciated.

Next steps... more colour mixing (CD) or reading hungry caterpillar later (CLL) or maybe counting body parts when it's dry (PSR&N) - if he didn't do that when he made it

What fun you've been having! :D

Monkey1
04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Fantastic advice, thankyou!
Will sit down and read your books now i have printed them Sarah, thank you ! x

Tatia
04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Next steps: you could also make a crafty caterpillar using shapes or bits, just to feed his excitement and achievement over his caterpillar creation.

bubbly
04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Sarah, you're brilliant :)

You always make it seem easy when the rest of us are baffled. What would we do without you? You're always willing to help and I just wanted to say how much you're appreciated here.

miffy
04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Brilliant Monkey

next steps - look for circles in everyday life eg wheels, oranges etc

Miffy xx