PDA

View Full Version : Variation 4 under 5's

Louise_Oaktree
19-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Sorry for posting this as I know there are loads of previous threads but I have searched them and can't really find an answer to my question!

My son is 4yrs old and attends pre-school 9-3pm
I look after 11 month old Mon-Wed 8-4pm
15 month old Mon-Fri 8-4pm

I also have 2 after school (sometimes 3) Mon-Fri 3.15-6pm

I am considering terminating all my after school children based on the fact my son will not be going to the same school in September 2010. I am also finding it difficult to do the School Run without my car (I had a sibling start Sept 09 which means I can't fit all mindees in the car so we have to walk). Some parents are concerned about their children enduring the School run in bad weather. Problem is I will lose £100 a week and can't really afford to as I only have 2 full time places.

I want to ask for a variation to allow me to have an extra under 5 for 2 days which will mean I have 3 under 5 3 days a week and 4 under 5's 2 days a week but no over 5's.

To me it makes perfect sense, my own son is 4 and will be a pre-school during the day but of course your own children are not included in registered numbers. Also I will have no children after school and 2 of the 3 leaving at 4pm :thumbsup: so I know it will make my life sooooo much easier, but I can't help but think that Ofsted will refuse because it is for a new child. Also I am really worried about having a "mini-inspection" just for this.

Any thoughts?

PaulaR
19-11-2009, 07:32 PM
they usually only do a variation if the 4th space belongs to a child or sibling that you already have in your care

Louise_Oaktree
19-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I realise this but cannot understand why - surely they must realise that caring for 4 under 5 is much easier than caring for 6 under 8's or more? I would easily swap my schoolies for another little one :rolleyes:

Chatterbox Childcare
19-11-2009, 11:38 PM
I think you are asking for trouble and you may get an inspection or at the least an inspector come asking questions.

It is not standard to have 4 under 5's or we would all have it and I have never known of anyone to get it just because they want another child but you could always be the exception to the rule and be the first one.

Why not write and ask, explain why and if they say yes then give notice and if they say no then you haven't lost anything but a bit of time

Good luck - I think you will need it!

Louise_Oaktree
20-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I think you are asking for trouble and you may get an inspection or at the least an inspector come asking questions.

It is not standard to have 4 under 5's or we would all have it and I have never known of anyone to get it just because they want another child but you could always be the exception to the rule and be the first one.

Why not write and ask, explain why and if they say yes then give notice and if they say no then you haven't lost anything but a bit of time

Good luck - I think you will need it!

I realise this but I don't believe that caring for 6 children in total is any easier than caring for 4 under 5. I know it's just the way the rules are but it seems a little unfair, especially for those with older little ones who can self-feed and are walking etc

I have decided not to bother with the variation because I have just had confirmation from my Niece that she wants me to have her baby 2 days a week which fits in well with my 2 spare days so I have no need for the extra income and hassle it will cause. Also with variations taking so long I don't think the parents are willing to wait up to 12 weeks especially with the likelihood that it wouldn't be approved.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.