PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with a couple of things? Im in a pickle!

sfox2003
18-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi

Im almost at the end - just awaiting crb checks. They are telling me that next week is counted as the first week as they should be sent through this week. And so from next week it could be 8 weeks until I get my registration certificate - which is great & probably around what I expected UNTIL I got a call from someone this morning, shes in a sticky situation. Her childminder is pregnant & just told her she is re-locating and so she needs a place ASAP. She needs it to start from the beginning of Jan, however I wont have my certificate until mid jan probably.

Shes phoning me back later because she just phoned to see if I had a vacancy and was at work. I said yes in a bit of a dither because I was nervous. So Ive not had time to explain my position ie pre-reg, and I hadnt realised that I wouldnt quite have my certificate through by then.

So obviously I have to be honest - I will be explaining the full situation later when she rings. However is there any way around it? I dont think there is Im just desperate and could do with the money. Its a full time place which would be perfect.

Also numbers - can I take this little boy? Hes 22 months. I have a 7 month old starting in March & a baby of my own who will be 12 month by then.

I think 3 under 2 would certainly keep me on my feet. I wouldnt be taking any other before/after school children. I would just keep my focus on these tiny ones until I became established.

Another thing I have at the back of my mind is suspicion - why does she need this place so soon - or is it not that soon for Jan? Would you do any background check on this pregnant-relocating childminder- if so how would I do that?

Thanks for your help guys.

Sarah

Minstrel
18-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Ok deep breathe!

Yes you do have to be honest with her about your pre-reg status? (Although this should really be on your advert as it is illegal to advertise as an OFSTED reg minder if you are not so maybe think about getting it changed). This lady obviously needs to get moving in her search so it wouldnt be fair to keep her hanging on.

Anyway it is poss that you will have your cert in time for start date. Or she could get family help till you do. Def able to have all three in terms of numbers - good luck!

Lastly not sure what is suspicious about the situation?????? what exaclty do you mean?

And why are you wanting to do a background check on another childminder?? its not really anything to do with you what the childminder situation is- just that this mother has asked to use your services.

hope you get reg'd soon!

sfox2003
18-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Ha ha - Im all of a tiz arent I?? :)

Im not advertising yet. Ive been spreading the word at school amongst the mums, lots of them have my contact details so one of those has probably passed it on. Im only assuming this lady thinks Im already registered, it may be that she knows Im not quite there yet.

The background checks - not on the childminder at all, more on the mindee, I was thinking if she needs childcare in such a hurry, has she broke her contract with her childminder ie not paid maybe??? It was just a thought.

Thank you for your advice - thats a good idea I could see if she has any family to help her out in the couple of weeks where we could be waiting. Theres a big shortage of childminders around here, so Im not sure she can find many with a vacancy full time.

Will see how it goes.
Sarah

mama2three
18-11-2009, 02:18 PM
If all other things are ok , shes happy with you and what you will offer etc , and you dont want to lose the contract and she doesnt want to lose you -- then you could offer to mind at her home until the reg. comes through. Not all parents would be happy with that , but she might if she has no family close etc.

Minstrel
18-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Well its excellent that you name is getting out and about- this can often be half the struggle when starting out.

When she calls back ask for some exact details about start date etc and then armed with that info i would get on the CRB people and harrass them to get your checks done asap.

Not sure what checks you could actually do with regards to the parent because the minder will have confientiality to bear in mind. I guess we all take a leap of faith when taking on new children and parents just as they do with regard to looking after their children. However, to minimise this make sure you ask for payment in advance and even consider taking a deposit to be held until end of contract.

GOOD LUCK X

sfox2003
18-11-2009, 10:14 PM
All seems well, I had a long chat with the lady again this evening. She said she has 3 childminders in mind I am one of them.

She said she can actually wait until Feb, but preffered to move him after christmas, but said she could wait & so its not as bad as first thought.

Her reason for leaving her current childminder seems genuine because she said her CM would meet with me nearer the time at toddler groups to help him to settle with me.

The whole family are coming tomorrow night. She said of the 3 childminders they are favouring me because theyve seen my website & have seen the pics of the house and all about me & said our families seem very similar and she likes that.

So fingers crossed. Just one thing she would like me to be avaliable for an extra hour a day to cover days when they are running late (because they work far away). Im thinking I will need to charge her for that extra hour a day because my daily rate is £25.00 & I feel 11 hours for £25.00 isnt enough. So £28.00 seems fairer. Do you all think thats reasonable - I have no idea what shes paying at the moment.

Thanks
Sarah

charliegee
20-11-2009, 12:30 AM
All seems well, I had a long chat with the lady again this evening. She said she has 3 childminders in mind I am one of them.

She said she can actually wait until Feb, but preffered to move him after christmas, but said she could wait & so its not as bad as first thought.

Her reason for leaving her current childminder seems genuine because she said her CM would meet with me nearer the time at toddler groups to help him to settle with me.

The whole family are coming tomorrow night. She said of the 3 childminders they are favouring me because theyve seen my website & have seen the pics of the house and all about me & said our families seem very similar and she likes that.

So fingers crossed. Just one thing she would like me to be avaliable for an extra hour a day to cover days when they are running late (because they work far away). Im thinking I will need to charge her for that extra hour a day because my daily rate is £25.00 & I feel 11 hours for £25.00 isnt enough. So £28.00 seems fairer. Do you all think thats reasonable - I have no idea what shes paying at the moment.

Thanks
Sarah

ahh I think that all sounds very positive! - good to meet the old childminder and help a smooth settling in.

I have you told her that you are charging a day rate? if not just go on an hourly rate and then there is no alkwardness of charging the extra hour as it will be included in the total for the day IYSWIM?

- Or alternatively some people don't include meals etc in the daily rate so that would help - ie to charge for meals the LO eats with you

Sounds like you are very organised to me - hope all comes through quickly for you!
x