PDA

View Full Version : Road Safety Week activities??

harrysgirl
18-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi
I'm looking for inspiration for next week's planning for Road Safety Week.
I ordered the free resource pack months ago but have not heard anything so now not sure what to do with a 3,2 and 15 month old to develop awareness.
We usually discuss road safety on our routine outings but Im after some activity ideas to expand on this.
Would appreciate any suggestions?? Thanks

venus89
18-11-2009, 10:46 AM
The resource pack was basically just a poster so I'll be discussing that with them, going for walks and looking for zebra crossings, green men etc and talking about what that means. My mindees are 6 months, 18 months and two are nearly 2 so that's really all I'll do on that front. Lots of play with the car mat and cars plus toy people. painting with toy cars.... that's as far as I've got so far.....

LisaMcNally09
18-11-2009, 10:54 AM
What about making traffic lights so they know what the colours mean? Get paper plates and tissue paper of the appropriate colours. Tear the tissue paper into little strips and screw up into balls. Then glue these balls of say green tissue paper to cover the paper plate!

Also what about musical statues? It gets them thinknig about what 'stop' means.

hth

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
18-11-2009, 11:16 AM
hi ive just been on the road safety website and if you click the link about a beep beep day they have a few things you can print off of free

biscuit recipe
coloring in poster
alphabet posters

hope this helps

PaulaR
18-11-2009, 06:22 PM
do you have access to as toy library? Ours have a zebra crossing and pelican lights. We did it today and it was fun

harrysgirl
19-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Fab ideas...!! :thumbsup:
Thank you so much for your help - we're going to be busy!!

Chimps Childminding
19-11-2009, 07:54 PM
last year we made traffic light biscuits. Plain biscuits, packet of smarties (or two) and a tube of icing. Got the children to sort out the colours, count how many we needed and put them into groups of the 3 colours we needed for the traffic lights. They just put 3 blobs of icing on a biscuit and added the red, orange and green smarties in the right order! simple but effective!:clapping:

PaulaR
20-11-2009, 08:36 AM
i really like the biscuit idea, I'm going to pinch that one if you don't mind