PDA

View Full Version : my first observation - seems to easy to be right though...

Tinglesnark
17-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Hiya, i did my first written obs on the boys this morning and i wondered if you could point out to me where i have gone wrong, what i can do to improve it and if it is in fact correct in the first place haha! seems like it was too easy and i never trust myself when i find things easy because it usually means that ive done it wrong haha! :rolleyes:

observation 1

charlie has a small policeman figure that he holds constantly and he calls this figure 'blueman'. charlie and oliver are sitting on the floor together amid some toys.

charlie - makes 'blueman' and 'orangeman' fly and makes 'swooshing' noises to signify in flight noises. he calls to oliver 'watch me ollie! i make blueman fly! he fly away from orangeman!'

oliver - watches charlie with eyes wide open. he claps his hands, kicks his legs and squeals.

Charlie - gets up and moves over to my boots and puts his hands inside. he then walks on all fours 'look ollie! i an elephant!' he makes noises to signify an elephant and nudges ollie with his arm that he is using as the elephants trunk. he moves away.

oliver - claps his hands and squeals at charlie. he then crawls after charlie and tries to touch the boots that charlie is wearing on his hands and sits back.

charlie- says loudly 'no ollie! don't touch!' removes the boots and moves to the plastic work bench. he puts the work bench in the doorway and then becomes over excited and screams.

oliver - crawls to the bench and removes a shelf, he starts to cry.

charlie -hands the separated tray to oliver and then they chatter together and settle down to inspect the pieces of bench.

planning

here i was a bit stumped but i have put;

Charlie - discuss elephants colour and sound, make elephant picture, look at elephants in books, visit the zoo. look at superhero comics, make picture of superheroes, discuss what superheroes do, engage in role play for both.

oliver - make a puppet show, sensory box, coloured rice/lentils in a bottle, chunky jigsaw puzzles

and there i come unstuck because i have no idea how to link any of that to EYFS yet! :rolleyes: :blush: :panic:

is that far too involved? is it too confused? have i got it totally wrong?
:thumbsup: :D

Tinglesnark
17-11-2009, 12:09 PM
oooer mrs 13 views but no replies...must be bad then :laughing:

little miss chatterbox
17-11-2009, 12:19 PM
sorry I meant to reply and got distracted!

I'm not the worlds qualified at obs so I have no idea if mine are right so don't take what I'm saying as gospel!

I think it's very very good! It's too the point sometimes mine go on for pages and I'm sure I'm doing too much!

Only thing is, I don't think we can name other children in obs, I usually put their initial or "other child"

I would do two seperate obs for them both one looking at Charlie's perspective and one looking at Oliver's perspective.

I'm not good with the eyfs links I'll look them up and get back to you on that!

Next steps/planning - that seems great to me!

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and give you their expertise but I would say, very well done!!!!

Tinglesnark
17-11-2009, 12:26 PM
ahhh i see, yes of course thats breaking confidentiality isnt it? (it is my own children but for the purpose of the exercise ill change that :D )
ok makes sense that they both need a separate obs but what happens when they are doing something together? would i just split what i have written in to child 1 and child 2?
thanks for that!
x

little miss chatterbox
17-11-2009, 12:39 PM
ok so if it's your own children it doesn't matter but like you say it's good practice to get into the habit of doing it by using initials! I name the child who's obs it is. So if it's charlie's ob I would say Charlie said........ to O (or child 2 whatever you use!)

if they're doing something together I would do the two seperate ones as you need to focus on the eyfs links, development and next steps for the individual child.

For example in Charlie's obs I would write it exactly how you have as it seems to focus more on charlie presumably as he's talking more! but leave out the bits where you have put "oliver - ........."

I would also put about charlie noticing oliver was crying and gave him what he wanted. That's a big plus point for me because what he did was really kind!

as for oliver's obs I would write something along the lines of

Oliver was playing with C and watching C.............
he watches c with eyes wide open. he claps his hands, kicks his legs and squeals.

C moves away and mimiks an elephant oliver claps his hands and squeals at ce. he then crawls after c and tries to touch the boots that charlie is wearing on his hands and sits back.

C tells Oliver not to touch and moves away to another toy.

Oliver follows C to the other toy and starts to cry. C notices he is upset and gives him a shelf off the work bench that he is playing with they chatter together and settle down to inspect the pieces of bench.

Does that help and make sense? So you have two obs from the two boys different perspectives.

Just one point, you do know we don't have to do obs and planning on our own children don't you?

Ripeberry
17-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Ssshh! Let her have a practice..does no harm :)

Tinglesnark
17-11-2009, 12:55 PM
ok so if it's your own children it doesn't matter but like you say it's good practice to get into the habit of doing it by using initials! I name the child who's obs it is. So if it's charlie's ob I would say Charlie said........ to O (or child 2 whatever you use!)

if they're doing something together I would do the two seperate ones as you need to focus on the eyfs links, development and next steps for the individual child.

For example in Charlie's obs I would write it exactly how you have as it seems to focus more on charlie presumably as he's talking more! but leave out the bits where you have put "oliver - ........."

I would also put about charlie noticing oliver was crying and gave him what he wanted. That's a big plus point for me because what he did was really kind!

as for oliver's obs I would write something along the lines of

Oliver was playing with C and watching C.............
he watches c with eyes wide open. he claps his hands, kicks his legs and squeals.

C moves away and mimiks an elephant oliver claps his hands and squeals at ce. he then crawls after c and tries to touch the boots that charlie is wearing on his hands and sits back.

C tells Oliver not to touch and moves away to another toy.

Oliver follows C to the other toy and starts to cry. C notices he is upset and gives him a shelf off the work bench that he is playing with they chatter together and settle down to inspect the pieces of bench.

Does that help and make sense? So you have two obs from the two boys different perspectives.

Just one point, you do know we don't have to do obs and planning on our own children don't you?

ahhh yes i see! thank you that makes perfect sense! i see your point about needing them separate so that i can link the individually ... oh that is fab thank you!
haha yes i know that we dont do our own but as ripeberry said, i am just practising while i have no mindees rather than waste the time and then have a meltdown when i have to do it all for real :D :thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
17-11-2009, 12:58 PM
oh and yes, it was kind of charlie to do that! it is a first! haha! at 2.5 he isnt a lover of sharing but were getting there haha!

little miss chatterbox
17-11-2009, 12:58 PM
that's ok I was sure that's what you were doing but I didn't want you to be doing them regularly when you didn't have to!!!!

well i think you did a very good job!

Tinglesnark
17-11-2009, 01:00 PM
that's ok I was sure that's what you were doing but I didn't want you to be doing them regularly when you didn't have to!!!!

well i think you did a very good job!

oh thanks! :D thanks for your help, ill get cracking now! feel more positive than i did last week, i was a bit fed up not having any enquiries and felt a bit like not bothering at all but then thought about it and decided to learn how to do everything while i have the time - make the most of it ifykwim?
x

francinejayne
09-12-2009, 10:10 PM
oh thanks! :D thanks for your help, ill get cracking now! feel more positive than i did last week, i was a bit fed up not having any enquiries and felt a bit like not bothering at all but then thought about it and decided to learn how to do everything while i have the time - make the most of it ifykwim?
x

I'm not yet registered (had my ofsted visit so now waiting for CRBs) but I've decided to have a go on my 19 month old just for practice too. Think your obs was really good, not sure mine will be as good as that?!

The Juggler
31-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Hiya, i did my first written obs on the boys this morning and i wondered if you could point out to me where i have gone wrong, what i can do to improve it and if it is in fact correct in the first place haha! seems like it was too easy and i never trust myself when i find things easy because it usually means that ive done it wrong haha! :rolleyes:

observation 1

charlie has a small policeman figure that he holds constantly and he calls this figure 'blueman'. charlie and oliver are sitting on the floor together amid some toys.

charlie - makes 'blueman' and 'orangeman' fly and makes 'swooshing' noises to signify in flight noises. he calls to oliver 'watch me ollie! i make blueman fly! he fly away from orangeman!'

oliver - watches charlie with eyes wide open. he claps his hands, kicks his legs and squeals.

Charlie - gets up and moves over to my boots and puts his hands inside. he then walks on all fours 'look ollie! i an elephant!' he makes noises to signify an elephant and nudges ollie with his arm that he is using as the elephants trunk. he moves away.

oliver - claps his hands and squeals at charlie. he then crawls after charlie and tries to touch the boots that charlie is wearing on his hands and sits back.

charlie- says loudly 'no ollie! don't touch!' removes the boots and moves to the plastic work bench. he puts the work bench in the doorway and then becomes over excited and screams.

oliver - crawls to the bench and removes a shelf, he starts to cry.

charlie -hands the separated tray to oliver and then they chatter together and settle down to inspect the pieces of bench.

planning

here i was a bit stumped but i have put;

Charlie - discuss elephants colour and sound, make elephant picture, look at elephants in books, visit the zoo. look at superhero comics, make picture of superheroes, discuss what superheroes do, engage in role play for both.

oliver - make a puppet show, sensory box, coloured rice/lentils in a bottle, chunky jigsaw puzzles

and there i come unstuck because i have no idea how to link any of that to EYFS yet! :rolleyes: :blush: :panic:

is that far too involved? is it too confused? have i got it totally wrong?
:thumbsup: :D

kristen this is fab observation. what I would also do is do a short evaluation section to show why you have planned links to EYFS and therefore why you hve planned what you planned. I just use titles or short letters in brackets to indicate where it links

so, i.e.

KUW
x showed he knows x colour names so planning x will help concrete and extend his colour knowledge and vocabulary.

x shows and interest in elephants. zoo/elephant activities will extend his knowledge into where they come from, how they live and introduce other zoo animals, showing an interest in the world around him.

CREATIVE/PSED

His play shows imagination, using his own interests to pretend he is an elephant. he is keen to involve other children in his play showing he wants to be social in his play and/or is proud of what he is doing. He also shows he can create his own imaginative storylines with the flying policeman.

PLANNING

CREATIVE

Superhero activites will extend his creative imaginative play and will allow him to explore different creative medium to represent animals/superheroes

PHYSICAL

The puzzles and sensory creative play will support development of his physical skills.

hope that helps.
X

louise-marie
07-07-2010, 09:51 PM
its a good idea to become familair with the EFYS stages of devlopment so that you can see which areas your observation links into.
The more you pratice the easier it will become to see what the next steps should be, the efys also gives tips to planning and resources.