PDA

View Full Version : Not sure about hours!!

Alak123
03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone

I need a bit of advice on this one.

I look after 1 mindee 8 hours x 3 days a week.

Parent has now asked me if I will do two full days and two half days.

The half days would be 12 - 4pm.

I am not really keen I like my three full days and it leaves me with two full days to have other mindees(if/when they come along).

My head is spinning on what to do, I love the wee lad I look after and currently is my only source of income so I don't want parent to take him from my care.

Do you think I am being unreasonable, I am not sure what to do and parent needs an answer this week.
:panic:

Love Alak x

Trouble
03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
say you will do it for now but if another child comes along wanting those hours then youll have to change back!!

LittleMissSparkles
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
did they say why they wanted to change them ???

xxx

Alak123
03-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Parent at college and timetable chop and changes with different classes or something like that every term.

However it was agreed at the start they would be full days.

Cheers Alak x

Rubybubbles
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
if agreed at start full days then I would charge full days, but understand about college chopping and changing. I would charge a retainer as the hours are likely to change again:rolleyes:

LittleMissSparkles
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
tough one, I have just lost one of my mindees today as her mum was at college too, started been monday till 7 then cut to half 5 then handed in notice, only had her a about 3/4 months if that really xxx very hard as you never know whats round the corner xxx

sarah707
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
It's hard but I would probably take child for longer for the short term - you never know what is round the corner in this job and by turning him away without anyone to replace, you could find yourself in a muddle.

I always think about continuity of care for the child as well - the parents may be a nightmare with hours all over the place etc but I do try and put the child first.

Good luck with talking to the parent whatever you decide! :D

miffy
03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
It's a tough one

I understand that you prefer the full days I would too but as you have no other mindees could you afford to lose the income if you say you don't want to change your hours and the parents look for someone else?

Is this likely to be for one term only? Then will hours change again?

Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx

Banana
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
If I had no other mindees I would be agreeing to it. But thats just because I couldnt be without the money. If you can afford to hold out then its up to you :)

xx

Alak123
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I was going to thank you all last night for advice, it was great help in making my mind up.

However I had a distraught neighbour came to the door and asked if I would take his two kids as his wife had taken very ill. I do know them but not very well.

The boys were fine 4yrs and 10mth, talk about emergency cover pheww, they did not get picked up untill midnight!!!

Quite tired today I have to say.

Back to parent hour prob, after reading threads I decided that I could not afford to give mindee up, but not one to give up easily I stood my ground in the morning about full day agreement and also I may have to charge full day fee.

So later in day she got back to me and said that she was pushing to get three full days again.

Not sure if I will get them but it makes you wander why the fuss was made in the first place and if it was really necessary for her to ask me, Im sure she was just changing my days and hrs so she can do her own thing, which is fine as long as I am getting paid, but she knew that I would struggle to fill the extras spaces.:panic:

Cheers
Alak xx

deeb66
09-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Only just catching up with this one

I hope that all goes well and the parent manages to sort out her timetable!

miffy
09-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I hope it works out for you Alak

Miffy xx