PDA

View Full Version : 3 x under 5's

mpoppins
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi allo.
Just got my certificate yesterday :clapping:
I have a 15 month old of my own plus an 18 month old who will come 3 days. Just wondering if many minders have 3 children under 18months as these are the main enquireys I am getting at the moment. I am considering only working 3 days a week but to do this I would need to have 3 children really.
How do you manage toddler groups, activities, etc? Does planning ever go to plan?
Thanks a lot
Marie

candy cat
12-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I am in the same situation and think i will have to get tripple buggy..safest way i think. cx

Merry-Minder
12-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I would hate a triple buggy - doubles are bad enough. I Think it depends how many days, and how the times cross with the school run.
If I had three that needed to go in a pushchair, if it wasnt every day and only part time hours then I would take 3 but stay at home and make use of my garden for outdoor time - its a fair size and filled with all sorts of equipment.

mpoppins
12-11-2009, 08:43 PM
I am hoping to do just 3 days and not take any after schoolers until my son is older. I was thinking of a double and a back carrier (yeah not great I know!).
Thanks everyone:)

Miriam
12-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I look after three under fives - a 15 month old 4 days a week, an 11 month old 3 days and a 2.5 year old 2 days. With the 15 month and 11 month old they come together two days a week and it is like having twins! One can walk, the other can crawl, obviously neither can feed themselves, also got cot in spare room and in my daughters room. It is fine but hard work, problems like having to get them in the car together when we want to go out - have to load them into the buggy to take about 20 steps outside to where the car is parked at the kerb!!! There have been lots of little things that I hadnt thought about when I agreed to have both of them. I am not for one minute saying I regret it because I really enjoy looking after both of them - they are lovely children with lovely parents but try to think about the practicalities of it all.

Good luck!

youarewhatyoueat
13-11-2009, 08:24 AM
I look after 3 under 2's, 2 19 month olds and 1 16 month old and its fine.
We go to a toddler group every morning, I only work 3 full days. I drive and now they are older they walk in.
I also have a triple buggy, one with a seat in front, and we often go for walks around our village. I do have travel cots but one doesn't sleep with me just the odd nap in the car, the other 2 often sleep in the double buggy in the hallway, it has worked well up till now. I'm just about to invest in some sleeping mats as they are getting a bit big.
I got them into the same routine early on, they all have lunch and sleep at the same time. One gets dropped off after the school run and also gets picked up before so I only need the double buggy on the school run.
I started off with 2 at 9 months old and then the other came when they were about 13 months.
Its hard work but makes the pay worthwhile. It works out at £12 per hr when they are all here over the 3 days.I wouldn't want to do it for 5 days.

angiemog
14-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi,
I have just started having 3 under 17 months. I have 8 month old, 12 month old and 16 month old. It's early days for me. I have thought about a triple buggy and I'm still undecided. I do have a school run to do for a 5 year old. I park outside the gates and put youngest 2 in double buggy and the 16 month old on reins. At the moment I'm not confident enough to go to toddler groups with 3 so young. I use my garden and my husband is around 50% of the time so we can go to parks/walks. At home I find it ok. I know my house is safe and the older 2 are content to play alone when I need to spend more time with baby. I to asked the sam qu on here when I was making my decision. I have found it 'relatively' easy with the combination. Make sure you do settling in sessions if possible when you have the other little ones. Just so you know what a possible day could be like. xxx

Gizmo
14-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I have 3 under 5's full time and its very tiring, 1 is 9mths and the other 2 are 2 the 2 year olds walk with wrist straps over the handles of the pram and the lo is in the pram this works out great, I find getting in and out of the car more of a problem as one of the 2 year olds likes to wander if not on the strap and always have to get her sorted first the other one is my own dd and she wouldnt move so can trust her to stand while I run about mad. The toddler groups I go to are all cms so you do get a chance to relax a bit more and all the other cms are always on hand to help if you need it :clapping:

mpoppins
15-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your different views, much appreciated:jump for joy:

TheBTeam
15-11-2009, 09:10 PM
my dh and i had 9months, 18,19,20 months, 24 and 30 months last year, we managed unexpectedly well, but i think in some ways two with 6 is easier than 1 with 3, although we both do separate before and after school runs going to one school which is a drive away and one which is a walk away.

I think the less you think about it being a problem the less it will be, mind over matter, if you think you can cope and you will get out and about, then with the aid of careful parking, pushchairs and reins you will be fine getting out and about, an 18 month old may well be able to walk a few hundred yards well on reins (unless it is the little lad we had who was over 2 when he walked).