PDA

View Full Version : Paints

hello kitty
11-11-2009, 02:17 PM
How do we stand regarding children using paints which are usually marked for over 3's.

The trampoline in the garden is for over 6's otherwise our insurance is invalid so following on from that train of thought what would happen if a 2 year old had been painting and had put either the brush (as can happen) into her mouth or her fingers and then fell ill for example. Would a risk assessment cover us as we had thought about it and were being vigilant or would we be liable for letting a 2 year old use paint meant for 3+ years?

Check out your paints, most are for over 3's only!

Mollymop
11-11-2009, 04:20 PM
I think they are for over 3's due to small parts choking hazards - which would come from the bottle (bottle lids, etc) rather than the child digesting the paint I would have thought.

As long as the bottle/container is kept out of the way and child only has paint and brush I am sure that is ok

sarah707
11-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Hmmm I can see what you are saying and tbh I haven't thought of it that way.

I have risk assessments and the children are constantly supervised.

I don't let them use paints until they have stopped putting things in their mouths either.

I'm not sure what else to suggest tbh, it's a judgement call depending on the child I think :D

Chatterbox Childcare
11-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't think that there is anything poisonous in paint. You could say the same about everything, play dough, glue etc.. unless it was super glue and then it would be quiet :laughing: :laughing: