PDA

View Full Version : Caring for babies - inspection advice

sarah707
09-11-2009, 08:23 PM
The following information is taken from an Ofsted document.

It is written for Ofsted inspectors and says what they might be looking for when they inspect you.

The information sheet mentioned at the end is also noted in the Guidance to the Eyfs document - you should aim to have a copy in your files.

I hope you find it useful :D

Inspecting childcare for young babies

We have received good practice advice to take into account when inspecting childcare for young babies.

Cot death is the biggest killer of babies over a month old and takes 300 lives a year in the UK, so it is vital that all childcare providers know the facts for keeping babies safe and adhere to the following guidelines:

- Place the baby on its back to sleep in a cot or room with adult supervision

- Do not let anyone smoke in the same room as the baby

- Do not let the baby get too hot. Use sheets and blankets - never a duvet and do not place the cot next to a heater, radiator or in direct sunshine

- Keep the baby's head uncovered

- Place the baby in the cot with its feet toward the foot of the cot

- Make sure the blankets are tucked in firmly up to the shoulders to prevent the baby from slipping down under the bedding

- If the baby is unwell, seek prompt advice.

This, and further safe infant care guidance, can be found in the latest Department of Health leaflet Reduce the risk of cot death: An easy guide (2007 edition) or by contacting the Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths (FSID) helpline on 020 7233 2090.

miffy
09-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Thank you for that, Sarah.

Miffy xx

It's a small world
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks Sarah

Think I would do this anyway but good to have a reminder... have a 9mth old starting next week too..

thanks again

angeldelight
10-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Thank you Sarah

Angel xx

Minstrel
10-11-2009, 10:22 AM
I have information in a babies routine sheet that she sleeps on her front. I thought once they are old enough to move and turn themselves out of difficulty it was ok? Mindee is 13 months and been walking since 9months.

francinejayne
15-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I have information in a babies routine sheet that she sleeps on her front. I thought once they are old enough to move and turn themselves out of difficulty it was ok? Mindee is 13 months and been walking since 9months.

yes once a baby is old enough to turn on their front, and if that becomes their preferred sleeping position then it is fine to leave them.

estrelas
17-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for this xx