PDA

View Full Version : Filling sons place

Nat78
09-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I have just put a variation in to allow me to fill my sons place. He has previously counted in my numbers but now attends private nursery full time for pre school year, mon-fri, 8am till 6:30 pm which is outside my hours. If he is off sick or needs picking up he will be my partners responsibility (also self employed so can collect at short notice). What are the chances of Ofsted letting me fill his place with a new mindee?

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't think that you will get it to be honest as you will still be deemed as the primary carer

Hope I can be proved wrong

What happens in the holidays?

Nat78
09-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Full time private nursery, only close one week at xmas as do I. Will make sure I close same week as them so will never be in my care while I have minded children, awful as that sounds. He loves nursery so I don't feel too guilty bout it!
Will have to wait and see. will let you know

Pudding Girl
09-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Can't see that happening and if it did it'd be a first I'd like to bet.

Nat78
09-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Thought it may be a long shot but worth a try to get some extra money!

louisepretty
10-11-2009, 07:17 PM
My children are 10 and 8 and they're still on my certificate so can only mind 4 myself!

Luckily I work with another minder who has no children so she can have the full 6 but never thought to get my certificate changed. Had my inspection today too and could have asked for it to be done - doh!

Minstrel
10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
My children are 10 and 8 and they're still on my certificate so can only mind 4 myself!

Luckily I work with another minder who has no children so she can have the full 6 but never thought to get my certificate changed. Had my inspection today too and could have asked for it to be done - doh!

I'm surprised your inspector didnt pick up on this. A friend of mine did and got an action to have it updated! :eek:

louisepretty
10-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm surprised your inspector didnt pick up on this. A friend of mine did and got an action to have it updated! :eek:

But surely they can't make you mind 6! My certificate just says I can mind 4 children - I never mind more than 4 on my own so how can that be an action?

louisepretty
10-11-2009, 07:44 PM
And how did you get the ticker in your signature as I've tried to put one in mine and it won't let me?

Losing weight with Slimming World and wanted to share :laughing:

Minstrel
10-11-2009, 07:50 PM
But surely they can't make you mind 6! My certificate just says I can mind 4 children - I never mind more than 4 on my own so how can that be an action?

I guess yours was actually different to hers. She had a child that went from under 5 to over.

Your right though- they cant make you mind more- I have no idea why she got the action but i have seen her report. Something about keeping OFSTED informed about relevent changes.

The ticker i got from Lillyput site and just copy and pasted it into my sig.

You may have to be minimum of Amber membership to have one though. :thumbsup:

louisepretty
10-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I guess yours was actually different to hers. She had a child that went from under 5 to over.

Your right though- they cant make you mind more- I have no idea why she got the action but i have seen her report. Something about keeping OFSTED informed about relevent changes.

The ticker i got from Lillyput site and just copy and pasted it into my sig.

You may have to be minimum of Amber membership to have one though. :thumbsup:

I started minding 6 years ago when my children were 4 and 2 so in the last 6 years they have gone from under 5 to over 5 and over 5 to over 8. I've had 3 inspections and no-body has ever said anything. Do we have to inform Ofsted that our children are getting older on their birthdays? I accept that moving house or changing telephone number - yes. And I know that they have to be CRB checked when they're 16 but thought that was it. Surely the world has gone mad!!!!!

Minstrel
10-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I started minding 6 years ago when my children were 4 and 2 so in the last 6 years they have gone from under 5 to over 5 and over 5 to over 8. I've had 3 inspections and no-body has ever said anything. Do we have to inform Ofsted that our children are getting older on their birthdays? I accept that moving house or changing telephone number - yes. And I know that they have to be CRB checked when they're 16 but thought that was it. Surely the world has gone mad!!!!!

Sorry dont shoot me!

I havent even had my own first inspection yet- just explaining what happened to my friend.

Problem with OFSTED is that every inspectoe is different and we are constantly trying to second guess them.

I wish they brought out a VERY clear rule book.

I know a great person who could write it and explain it in plain English! ;)

sarah

Pudding Girl
10-11-2009, 08:18 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :clapping:

louisepretty
10-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Sorry dont shoot me!

I havent even had my own first inspection yet- just explaining what happened to my friend.

Problem with OFSTED is that every inspectoe is different and we are constantly trying to second guess them.

I wish they brought out a VERY clear rule book.

I know a great person who could write it and explain it in plain English! ;)

sarah
Not shooting anybody and sorry if it came over that way :blush: :blush: :blush:

There must have been more to your friends situation. Maybe when her child turned 5 she started minding another younger one before her certificate got changed or something. While her ratios would have been correct, technically she would have been breaking the conditions of registration.

Like I said I am registered for 4 and I mind 4 even though my own children are 8 and 10 and I could, technically, mind 6. I've never asked Ofsted to change my certificate and as far as I know they can't insist on you being registered for more children than you want to be. I've had 2 inspections with 2 different inspectors and neither have asked me to change my conditions of registration based on my children's ages.

Incidentally a friend of mine is a childminder and has no children of her own and she can only mind 5 because of the size of her house!

Once again humblest apologies to you and to OP for ever so slightly hijacking this thread :o

Minstrel
10-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Not shooting anybody and sorry if it came over that way :blush: :blush: :blush:

There must have been more to your friends situation. Maybe when her child turned 5 she started minding another younger one before her certificate got changed or something. While her ratios would have been correct, technically she would have been breaking the conditions of registration.

Like I said I am registered for 4 and I mind 4 even though my own children are 8 and 10 and I could, technically, mind 6. I've never asked Ofsted to change my certificate and as far as I know they can't insist on you being registered for more children than you want to be. I've had 2 inspections with 2 different inspectors and neither have asked me to change my conditions of registration based on my children's ages.

Incidentally a friend of mine is a childminder and has no children of her own and she can only mind 5 because of the size of her house!

Once again humblest apologies to you and to OP for ever so slightly hijacking this thread :o

Oh, no apology necessary! It was said in jest. Pitfalls of a forum!

louisepretty
11-11-2009, 02:38 PM
You're never going to believe it - the inspector rang me this morning and said that she forgot to ask me yesterday if I wanted to vary the conditions on my certificate as my children are now both over 8!!!!!!!

She was very apologetic for not doing it yesterday and there was definately no mention of an action. She said it was absolutely fine to keep 4 on my certificate but I might as well have 6 seen as my boys are growing up!

It's almost like she was reading this thread (insert Twilight Zone music here)!

TheBTeam
11-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I would be very surprised if you could increase your numbers because of your son, i say this as dh and i are both registered childminders and we work together at home, our daughter who is 7 counts in both of our numbers, so we are not even able to allocate her to one of us, both of us are allowed 2 between 5-8.

Chatterbox Childcare
11-11-2009, 05:18 PM
It is our responsbility to keep records straight so you should have had your certificate changed. Even though it will say 6 doesn't mean that you have too. What happened if your assistant is sick, would you still have the 6?

I mind up to 12 at any one time on my own so I find it helpful to have the full quote of 6 under 8 on my certificate.