PDA

View Full Version : Need some info please

craigyboy21
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Hello everyone

My niece has just came to live with my wife and i to look after our 4 month old daughter whilst we have to work :(

If my niece registered as a childminder would this make any difference to our situation? We pay her £400 pcm and we pay for all her meals and generally look after her but we would love to afford to pay her more.

Is it true that if she becomes registered we can claim back some of the money that we pay her and then we could use this to top up her wages.

She is great with our little one and we are afraid that because she is not earning much money she will have to stop looking after our daughter and get a better paid job.

Many thanks for any help.

Minstrel
09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Being a registered childminder unfortunately not as easy as it sounds. You are not allowed to register just to look after family members so she would have to be available to accept enquiries from others. Although it would be her discretion if she signed those up.

You have to complete and ICP course, first aid , health check, ofsted inspections, CRB checks for her and all those in the household. Keep all relevent paperwork, observations, attendence, risk assessments, contracts, etc etc. Changes may have to be made to your house,

Why not reg her as a nanny???

craigyboy21
10-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for your reply and please forgive my ignorance but what difference would it make registering her as a nanny?

singlewiththree
11-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks for your reply and please forgive my ignorance but what difference would it make registering her as a nanny?

As a nanny she does not have to be registered with ofsted, its a lot less work for her she just turns up at your house and cares for your daughter. She can opt to join the voluntary register which will enable you to claim tax credits/company vouchers if you are eligible. For you it means you employ her and have to pay her NI.

Minstrel
13-11-2009, 04:41 PM
As a nanny she does not have to be registered with ofsted, its a lot less work for her she just turns up at your house and cares for your daughter. She can opt to join the voluntary register which will enable you to claim tax credits/company vouchers if you are eligible. For you it means you employ her and have to pay her NI.

Yes this is what I meant :thumbsup:

As a CM she would need to keep accounts, register with food hygiene.... it goes on and on.

As a nanny she is simply your employee who does as you ask but if she registers on the voluntary register you get the benefits of tax credit help/ childcare vouchers.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Blaze
13-11-2009, 04:57 PM
As already advised the best option for your situation would be for your neice to register with OFSTED on the voluntary register so that you can claim financial assistance via tax credits childcare element.

Useful info here:

http://www.nannyjob.co.uk/information/pages/parents.aspx