PDA

View Full Version : Worried my Garden will put people off!

shelly03
08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I have a potential mindee coming round this week and im worried my garden will put them off. I had to screen off an area at the bottom. Ofsted have inspected it and said it is fine, but i hate my garden and OH isnt very green fingered nor am I. I have plenty of equipment, jungle climber, see saw, swing, slide, small trampoline and wendy house. However the grass is long (not too long) and i cant cut it due to weather. I also feel that my flagged area is so old it looks scruffy could do with a power spray. I have a huge tree at the bottom of the garden and it sheds leafs at this time of year by the bucket load OH has raked most of them today. "I am ashamed of my back garden" lol, but in the summer its fine. Do you think I am just worried because im nervous, Is anybodys garden nice at this time of year? What do you think parents will think?:panic:

Pudding Girl
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
most gardens are a mess this time of year, mine certainly is slimy and messy and leafy and muddy - don't give it a second thought :)

babs
08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
i have 40 foot trees at the bottem of my garden so at the moment i have a leaf garden which the kids love to run around in kickin the leaves everywhere... so dont feel ashamed its autum and leaves fall. if i had to clean them up i would be doin it every hour so i just get the kids to help in week and they love it gets them up close and personal with nature too.... I hate bugs so kids get to place leaves in a bag while i hold at arms lengh and drop run off when they find a creepy crawly :p

singingcactus
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
:laughing: Mine is an eyesore too. The kids love being out there and it shows. The cherry tree is doing it's best to destroy my yard, with wasps and cherry pips in the summer and slimy leaves and mould in the autumn.
But, like I said, the kids love being out there. We are out there much of every day. I have loads of pics in a wall hanger on my patio window showing the kids having fun all through the year, with all the many many things we do out there. I always let any interviewing kids out there too, cos I know even though it looks a sight, it is part of what sells my service. Kids love to be outdoors, just show the new parents lots of pics of the kids having fun and don't worry about the mess.

TheBTeam
08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I dont think this will be the major thing on the minds of prospective parents to be honest.

Good luck with the visit.

Twinkles
08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
The only time my garden is as nice as my neighbours is when it snows !!

I like snow :laughing:

Hebs
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
The only time my garden is as nice as my neighbours is when it snows !!

I like snow :laughing:

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

love it,

mine boring, had it turfed this summer so kids weren't allowed on it, but next summer i will have toys for them to play outside :clapping:

AnnieM
09-11-2009, 08:15 AM
My garden was a total mess until this year, in fact when Mrs O came last year, we agreed between us to take off access to it on my certificate until it had been done. It was finished this summer, but it is not how I would have liked it really, my problem is we have a garage at the back of the house and it is not in a straight line to the gate IYSWIM, so we have had the whole drive and back gravelled and then a huge fenced decked area which is straight off the house, we do not use this garage everyday it houses OH's kit car so only comes out occasionally but we needed the access to it, we have big wooden gates across the drive at the back and the front is turfed but is set higher than the drive so has a 18" drop off it which I cannot use with the children (Mrs O said so). I have tried to make up for the lack of grass by having lots of nice plants in pots on the deck and the childrens toys will be on there when I get some. (hoping for the grant to help out here!)

I think your garden sounds absolutely fine and couldn't possibly be worse than mine, it was an absolute mess before it was done, but I still managed to get mindees, in fact since we have had it done I haven't had an enquiry, but I don't think it has anything to do with the garden. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with your potential mindee. :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Think you are just nervous - you can use parks local to you too

Good luck with the mindee

BubbleBobble
09-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh dear, now you're worrying me! My garden is akin to a jungle in parts, which is probably why my cat (and others) loves it so much. My neighbours often knock their balls into our garden and when they come in to get them back, they are wide eyed as they have come from a pristine ordered garden to the complete opposite! It's not that I don't do anything in my garden, it's just there's lots of trees and shrubs, it was already like it when I moved in and I've just maintained it best I could. Kids think it's fantastic for hide and seek but dread to think what Ofsted will make of it. ha ha.

Straws
09-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Mines also a mess hubby removed log rolls and dug out a bay last week then just left it, saying the weather has broke...... he could have just left it till spring men:mad:

Straws xx

cowboy
09-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I think I'd be a bit worried about a childminder with an immaculate garden- worried that the kids wouldn't be allowed to play out there much for fear of ruining the lawn!
I definately think a bit messy garden would be good for business- Yours sounds great with lots of stuff!

Paula :)

HomefromHome
09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
sounds exactly like mine!!!
dont worry bout it - you can always say it gets used as a bug finding expedition, who can find the tallest grass, colour hunt (leaves) etc - perfect i'd say!!!

pinklady
09-11-2009, 10:23 PM
My garden is horrible too thanks to a massive oak tree nothing seems to grow including grass and yes I have many, many leaves :mad:

My garden does have swings, slides, climbing frame, bikes, trikes, sand/water table and much much more and I think that's what really matters. It's also a good size in comparison to a lot of gardens in my area.

Your garden sounds very similar to mine and I think the important point is the fact that you have a garden to offer and that can only be a good thing. Tell potential parents that you will have daily risk assessments and checks to ensure the garden is safe for mindees and that the garden is theirs to enjoy. I tell myself I'd rather have a slightly shabby chic garden :blush: then at least I don't have to worry when the children trash it. I also use the birds and squirrels that come into my garden as a selling point.

shelly03
10-11-2009, 01:22 PM
THANKS EVERYONE, IM NOT WORRIED AT ALL NOW LOL!:)

Anne66
10-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Don't worry about your garden if you feel that unhappy with it de register it and take advantage of using your local parks and outdoor spaces. To be a childminder doesn't require having a garden and the children will enjoy the variety they can have from local parks and outdoor spaces. gray

Madminder
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I think it's just nerves, I have never even had a parent ask to see my garden in 14 years of minding (it wasn't visible unless you went out the back) and since moving here 3 years ago I have not been able to use the garden for minding at all as it has been impossible to make it safe (on a hill with 6ft unfenced drops!). We just go to the park a lot and other minder's or friend's gardens and this is what I tell parents.