PDA

View Full Version : tealight made from gingerbread and candy

Blackhorse
08-11-2009, 09:03 AM
DD and I made this with gingerbread and candy

if anyone is interested how it is done let me know and I put a description into here...

It doesnt let me add any pics this morning so here is the link to my baking forum where I have added 3 pictures of the tealight

http://www.thea.at/forum/showpost.php?p=85586&postcount=1

Chatterbox Childcare
08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Looks great - I do the same thing with stained glass window biscuits in the shaoe of christmas trees and stars

miss mopple
08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Oh wow thats fab. Does it make the house smell nice when the candles lit?

Yes please to the recipe, my kids will love it :clapping:

TheBTeam
08-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Lovely, i would love the recipe, great idea for the leftover pumpkin tea lights please!

madasahatter
08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
How do you stop the sweets from sticking to your baking tray? I have tried to make this type of biscuit several times, using new non stick trays, old trays well greased, trays lined with greaseproof, one of those silicon sheets and they have always stuck, so ended up with lots of broken biscuits.

Blackhorse
08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
the first time I tried to make it they all broke as the sweets were stuck to the greased tray

this time I used baking paper and it just slid of no problem at all

I think there is a difference between greasproof and baking paper as well...not sure if that might be the problem.

harrysgirl
09-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Ahh, that's pretty.
I've never made 'stained-glass' biscuits before but would like to give them a try - what sweets to your recommend & any tips other than the baking paper?
Thanks

johanna77
09-11-2009, 02:44 PM
What a lovely idea for Christmas, I would love to give this a try.
If I could have the recipe that would be great, Thanks, in advance
Jo.:)

miffy
12-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Looks great - I do the same thing with stained glass window biscuits in the shaoe of christmas trees and stars

What sweets do you use for them Debbie?

Miffy xx

Pudding Girl
12-11-2009, 06:19 PM
what a great idea! I wonder if you can get gingerbread scented tealights anywhere to make it even more xmassy?

Blackhorse
13-11-2009, 08:17 PM
you can make it with light or dark gingerbread..
( I used light as I only had the ingredients for the light version)

dark:
410g self raising flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
125g firm unsalted butter
125g dark muscovado sugar
125g black treacle / molasses
1 egg, lightly beaten

light:
350g all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp groung ginger
100g firm unsalted butter
185g light muscovado sugar
3 tbsp golden/corn syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten

preheat oven to 200C/400F/ Gas mark 6

put the flour baking powder and ginger in a food processor. cut butter in small pieces and add to processor. Mix until resembles breadcrumbs
add sugar syrup and egg. and blend to a dough.
wrap and chill for 30 mins...
(this is the instruction for the light one but you do the same with the dark one..even if slightly different ingredients)

now you can make whatever you like with the gingerbread...

to make the tealights..you cut out 3 rectangles 12x 8 cms and then you cut out 6 windows in each.. (I didnt have a square cutter for this so just used a knife...)

you put them on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and put into the oven for 5 minutes..then take out and let cool slightly

in the meantime crush boiled sweets ( I had some left over from halloween mixed bags I bought in tesco)...and fill them into the windows...you will need to fit in quite a bit of the sweets as otherwise the window will have holes...

pop them back into the oven for another 5 minutes. Then take out of the oven if all the candy has melted.
if there are holes in the widows you can use a tooth pick or similar thing to smear the candy into the corners holes..you need to do this quickly though as it hardens very very quickly.
let dry completely on the baking paper...once cooled take off.

it can then be glued together with egg whites and sugar. (royal icing_
to make this mix, which is also used to decoate the window you use 1 egg white and approx 200g icing sugar
whisk the egg white in a bowl and gradually whisk in enough icing sugar to make a softly peaking icing.
this can be coloured with food coloring as well if required.. (I added some orange)

pipe this mix around the windows for the snow effect and let dry for about 30 minutes...
then you use it to glue the 3 sides together. I then used some wire to hold it all together until it was dried..I left it to dry over night..

have fun

Trouble
13-11-2009, 08:20 PM
love them:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

avril
13-11-2009, 08:22 PM
What sweets do you use for them Debbie?

Miffy xx

I made them once with cheap boiled sweets and didn't work!:rolleyes: Another childminder I know recommended foxes fruits, I'll be trying these this time ;)

angeldelight
13-11-2009, 08:42 PM
They look lovely

Angel xx