PDA

View Full Version : Presents for parents

FizzysFriends
07-11-2009, 03:47 PM
What are your mindees making for their parents with you this year?

Im in need of some inspiration.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I am doing a calendar for the mindee I didn't do last year and start on that next week as 12 months takes ages!

The others I think will be a photo frame that they will decorate and then put a photo in (these are cheap cheap in Ikea)

patevans
07-11-2009, 04:10 PM
What are your mindees making for their parents with you this year?

Im in need of some inspiration.

me too, love doing all the other crafty bits but struggle when it comes to parents gifts!

FizzysFriends
07-11-2009, 04:13 PM
me too, love doing all the other crafty bits but struggle when it comes to parents gifts!

I asked the kids and one asked me to take her to Boots and buy dad a new shaver (she obviously wasn't listening to the 'make' part of the sentance).

All the other don't want to do anything :(

I need something to inspire me so I can inspire them.

mrs c
07-11-2009, 07:32 PM
The present my parents liked best last year was their child's hand cut out from modelling clay. As it dried I curled the fingers up slightly and placed a tea light in the palm. We left ours plain but this would also be nice decorated. Another good one we did was to get the end of a tree branch - one with plenty of offshoots and wrap silver foil around each one. Secure the branch in a container. Make decorations/paint baubles with the child to hang from each branch - looks really pretty.

littletreasures
07-11-2009, 07:37 PM
I've bought some A4 canvases and am going to get the kids to do a painting.

Ages range from 2 up to 10. They are all looking forward to doing it.

Pudding Girl
07-11-2009, 08:33 PM
packs of 2 canvases in £shop, about A5 sized, painting those in patterns in their parents fave colours, and the smaller ones doing handprints or finger painting on them (does anyone know if poster paint is ok or do we need acrylic?)

Candles - baker ross do sheets of wax that are hand moudable.

Calendars - need to get a move on with these - 12 pics x 8 kids eeek! GOING TO EACH MONTHS A VARIATION ON A THEME OF HANDPRINTS LOL need some help though please!!

oops caps:

Jan: Snowmen
Feb: hearts
March: daffodils
April: easter bunny
May:
June: Sunshine
July:
August:
Sept: hedgehogs
Oct: ghosts
Nov: Fireworks
Dec: Xmas trees

miffy
07-11-2009, 09:38 PM
p

Calendars - need to get a move on with these - 12 pics x 8 kids eeek! GOING TO EACH MONTHS A VARIATION ON A THEME OF HANDPRINTS LOL need some help though please!!

oops caps:

Jan: Snowmen
Feb: hearts
March: daffodils
April: easter bunny
May:
June: Sunshine
July:
August:
Sept: hedgehogs
Oct: ghosts
Nov: Fireworks
Dec: Xmas trees

There are some ideas here (scroll down)

http://www.dltk-kids.com/type/handprint.htm

Miffy xx

sophiestars
07-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I bought some lovely and quite cheap little cardboard boxes with lids from my local craft bank which the children will paint and decorate then we will line them with tissue paper and I am going to buy the christmas chocolate silicone molds from Lakeland and make then choccies to go in the boxes. If i don't eat them first ha!!

Chatterbox Childcare
07-11-2009, 10:32 PM
here are the ones I used last year (thanks to a previous thread) and the other form are freehand.

If you want the actual pictures complete to view and the front page please pm me your email as they are too large to post on the thread

It's a small world
07-11-2009, 11:12 PM
The present my parents liked best last year was their child's hand cut out from modelling clay. As it dried I curled the fingers up slightly and placed a tea light in the palm

like this idea...might pinch it

Blaze
07-11-2009, 11:55 PM
I do calenders for Christmas - but at other times of the year my most popular present has been fingerprunt keyrings.:thumbsup:

singingcactus
08-11-2009, 10:40 AM
We make each family a yule log every year. I do some other christmas type activities witht he kids and they take home whatever finished product they have, but I don't make them a specific gift other than the yule log.

singlewiththree
08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
We are doing the calendar themes and as I have 2 siblings from each family have given them 6 months each and also intergrated some pages with just photos on.

Kirstylob
13-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I love the idea of the handprint in clay made into a tea light holder. I was struggling for what to make for parents, but I think this may be it!! Thanks.

Lct76
13-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Like the hand print clay idea - might work for a Diwali activity :-) thanks. We usually make a Christmas decoration, this year we are going to make mini Christmas cakes and decorate!

PixiePetal
14-10-2012, 12:09 AM
We are doing the calendar themes and as I have 2 siblings from each family have given them 6 months each and also intergrated some pages with just photos on.

I have 2 sets of siblings so will be doing the same. Also make something edible on the last week - cookies or something to put in cellophane bagss and tie with ribbon and a tag. (prob get eaten in the car on their way home though! :rolleyes:)

Mouse
14-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Last year we did canvas paintings, which the parents loved.

The children paint on the canvasses however they want to - some with brushes, some just using their hands to move paint around. When they're dry the children stick on buttons, feathers, foam shapes etc in colours similar to the paints they've used. They look really good. The children I had last year were all 2 and under, so it needed to be something they could pretty much do themselves.

This year I have ordered blank clocks from the Crafty Crocodile website. The children will decorate them in a similar way.

winstonian
14-10-2012, 02:34 PM
We decorated white paper gift bags and filled them with:
mini Christmas cakes, made and decorated by the children, each with a "lucky" 5p in
painted canvas or handprint on canvas for babies
penguin calenders
ceramic bauble from Crafty Crocs painted
Christmas tree photo frame
and hand made cards :)
(I really like Christmas).
We made our own advent calenders too with a picture behind each window and a photo of the child dressed up behind door 25 - that was a huge job, think we had about 11 children but have even more and smaller ones this year so wont be able to do that again

jadavi
14-10-2012, 03:16 PM
This year I bought wooden egg cups and tealight holders and coasters from school surplus to decorate.
I also got glittery bags to make and put sweets in.
Always raved over by parents xx

k1rstie
14-10-2012, 03:21 PM
we have made gluey handprints onto black paper, and then put glitter on top. This was then cut out and laminated, and a hanging loop of ribbon added - looks really nice.

shrinkle handprints or footprints are always popular

kirstie

mrs robbie williams
15-10-2012, 06:08 AM
well ive got babies oldest is 2 so am going to 99p shop where ive seen blank canvases and do their foot prints with paint (got the idea from here xx) and will do a card with a photo of them inside xx