PDA

View Full Version : Am new, lost and very confused! Sorry!

PinkFairy24
05-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Hello there! Thanks for letting me post here.

I'm Claire and I completed a level one diploma course in home based childcare online a year ago as I am in full time work (adult nursing) but planning on having kids and becoming a childminder. I am now married, six months pregnant and looking into continuing with registering!

I did a two day first aid course last month but am now not sure where to go?

I did contact the local council about six months ago about childminding and went to a meeting which was really negative. It was going on about how few jobs there are and trying to put people off. It didn't mention anything about how to apply to be a childminder or about the EYFS. I only knew that I had to do the level one diploma and a first aid course because I read it online with the NEC.

Now I feel like I have done everything backwards!! :panic: Am not sure if the courses I have done will expire before I can register?

I am due in February next year and wanted to be ready to start childminding a year later after I am all settled with little one! I am planning on taking a year off on maternity leave but then going back for two months to pay back my maternity pay. Was just trying for once to be organised and get everything done, but thinking that there may be a time that I need to register and I have missed it?

I know that I need a CRB check as does my husband as we live together. I do have one from my job but know that I will need to have another one and the house needs to be checked.

Am also lost on all the observations and paper work I will need to do? Will I get more training on this as I'm really stuck. :idea:

Thanks for reading this, I know that I am asking a lot when I have just descended on you, am just not sure where else to go. :blush:

Love Claire X x X

Chatterbox Childcare
05-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Go back to the Family Information Service/Early Years Department and ask how to get registered. You will need an EY2 form for starters and if you don't get anywhere, contact Ofsted for one. 08456 40 40 40

Minstrel
05-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Sounds as though you know most of where and how you are going about things. Great idea to get organised so early as these things can take sooooo long! My own reg from start to finish took 13 months.

I think the best thing would be to go back to the council and ask to be put in touch with the Early Years team. They will know exactly what the processes are in your area as unfortunately the seem to differ slightly all over the UK. They may insist you do the ICP (DHC UNIT 1 ) through them as i have read on the forum from at least one person that did theres through a private company and was still made to re do it.

The first aid will be fine (as long as its pediatric 12hr course).

Good luck and keep us informed! :thumbsup:

Daddy Day Care
05-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Cant really add to what debbie or minstrell has said just wnated to welcome you to the forum

Gareth
xx

pinklady
09-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Cant really add to what debbie or minstrell has said just wnated to welcome you to the forum

Gareth
xx

Me too! :D

Playmate
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Just wanted to welcome you to the forum, I think the others have advised you well. I came into this profession from nursing 16 years ago when my eldest was a year old. I did both for many years just to keep my UKCC pin, but 8 years ago decided it had to be one or the other. Chose to be a CM and haven't looked back since. Don't listen to negative people, there is enough possitive one's on this forum so stick with us and good luck :D