PDA

View Full Version : first aid

Trouble
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
i have just been on a first aid course and things have changes in 2 years since i did the last one, has anyone else done one recently and thought the same?:idea:

Rubybubbles
02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
do you mean things haven't changed??

I've got mine in April, 2 lovely long boring (but essential I know) days to look forward too:laughing:

flora
02-03-2008, 10:51 PM
I re did mine in may last year and yes in three years quite a few things had changed.
Its all to do with the "resuss" council they decided that there is enough air in you as it were, so compressions are far more important. Essentially not much else changed??
The guy we had was a bit crap, but he was away for the second week and guy number two was much better and so you remebered more.

charleyfarley
02-03-2008, 10:52 PM
It was the cpr that had changed when I did mine

Really think they should tell us when these things change in between our courses

It's the only course I'd preferto do every year even though I hate doing it

Carol xx

Trouble
02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
they have changed i did mine last week miles away i got home at 11 oclock for 4 nights on the trott completely :censored:

up to the age of 12 months you give 5 breathes the 30compressions and to 2 breathes

then from 12 months on 30:2 not 5 breathes 30:2

does that make sense?

flora
02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
It was the cpr that had changed when I did mine

Really think they should tell us when these things change in between our courses

It's the only course I'd preferto do every year even though I hate doing it

Carol xx

You will still be doing "good" by doing it the old way, but they decided that people get worn out quicker doing cpr on their own when doing compressions and rescue breaths. They found out ( don't know how) that you are ok to just to do compressions first and to a differnt ratio, in the majority of cases.:thumbsup:

Trouble
02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
i think they should inform everyone at the same time and not wait until courses came up, maybe letters sent out. we did learn about epipens which i would have to use but he covered it in more detail which was good for me!!!!!
not as scared now but would just do it anyway.:eek:

Spangles
02-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I keep meaning to re-read my first aid booklet I was given as I can't remember much about CPR or anything else for that matter!

You have reminded me to take a look at it so thank you.

Trouble
02-03-2008, 11:18 PM
i think their should be a top up yearly to keep up to date also i clean and checked dates in my first aid box tonight its that long since i used it, id forgotton what was in their!!!!!!!!

littlestar
03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
yeah i just did mine and it totally diff doubled since last time i did it:panic:

sarah707
03-03-2008, 07:50 AM
It makes me wonder how anyone was saved in years gone by if it's all so different now!?! :panic:

Amanda
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
just finished a first aid course in jan with an NVQ First Aif Assessor.

the main difference was when you do CPR.

You check casualty's breathing first - if breathing is abnormal you start breaths and compressions straightaway - you no longer waste time taking a pulse.

It was decided in Brussels that you can't do any harm by giving compressions (10 yrs ago we were told we could stop the heart!!!!). It was though a lot of first aiders stand back because they are afraid of doing more harm than good. It is hoped with these new guidelines more people will be saved.

I think things are due to change again in the next two years so will need to keep up to date

Amanda

Hollybelle
04-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Doing mine this Sunday :panic:
Think someone will need to give me the rescue breaths:D

nics
05-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Can anyone recommend who to do my first aid course with?

I was supposed to go on a course back in Sept with Enhance but they lost my booking form and then said I wasnt booked on and had no places left when I rang to confirm my place.

They re booked me on the same course for January and I was told it was in the same place but when I turned up they weren't running a course for those dates.

My bursary expires at the end of March, but I know I can get a replacement, and I have been registered since the end of Jan so I need to find a company that isn't going to mess me around.

deeb66
05-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Can anyone recommend who to do my first aid course with?

I always use St Johns Ambulance

nics
05-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks Dee. Hopefully I wont have any more problems :)