PDA

View Full Version : Arrgh, in a pickle with car being serviced!

Ripeberry
04-11-2009, 05:26 PM
My husband booked my car in for a service this Friday and at first I thought, Oh that's OK because I would take MY girls up to school using HIS car as it's not involving childminding.
But then, my mindee's mum yesterday asks me if I can have J early on Friday and like a fool I say yes.
Now I'm in a pickle as my husband will be leaving for work early in the morning taking MY car and I'll basically be stuck at home, needing to get my girls to school with a car that I can't use for business use, although I'm a named driver :mad:
I rang the insurance company and the current underwritter won't cover me and the renewal is due at the end of this month, it would cost a fortune to change over and there would be a automatic £50 canx charge on top!
Although the school is only 1 mile away, it is on country roads with no paths and lots of lorries going up and down so TOO dangerous to walk.
I think the only option is to find a neighbour to take MY girls to school.
Thank goodness, mindee goes home before 3pm on Fridays, at least then I'll be able to use my husband's car :thumbsup:
How does everyone else manage? What do you do if your car is off the road and it is impossible to do your job without it? :huh:

FizzysFriends
04-11-2009, 05:29 PM
I use my moms car as she rarely goes anywhere on her own.

Ripeberry
04-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Fizzy, so she drives you around? That would be great, your own chauffeur, but if you had a claim what would you put down as the reason for the journey? Is your mum insured for business use? Insurance companies are very good at putting two and two together.

Alibali
04-11-2009, 06:04 PM
We have a multi car policy, so I can use dh's car for business use too. Could you get a taxi for the one day?

FizzysFriends
04-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Fizzy, so she drives you around? That would be great, your own chauffeur, but if you had a claim what would you put down as the reason for the journey? Is your mum insured for business use? Insurance companies are very good at putting two and two together.

No I drive the car. I can't see a reason I shouldn't drive it. Im named on the insurance and she has business cover as my dad has a company and moms car is used as the spare if cars/vans are off the road.

TheBTeam
04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
We are fortunate in that we only have to have one car on the road to do our job, and we have two 7 seaters, both for both of us to drive and both with business use!

Like the idea of a taxi, but you would not end up earning for that couple of hours! Would mum of mindee be prepared to contribute some or all!

nikim
04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
have i missed something? would you not be insured on your own insurance , assuming you are fully comp you should be fully insured to drive any car,

Ripeberry
04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm fully comp on his car insurance but it's just for SD&P and commuting to and from work. Husband said tonight, just use the car and if anything happens it was SD&P use to get OUR girls to school.
But its just the business use that is confusing me. They keep saying it's a requirement of our registration (if we drive), but most insurance companies will NOT cover the spouse to have business use (class 1) if the main policy holder does not require it as it makes it very expensive.
We are going to check out other policies at renewal though as although I'm covered by my insurance for a replacement care for accident or theft, it's not possible for breakdown.
It would just be sods law for anything to happen :angry:

Daftbat
04-11-2009, 09:00 PM
We only have one car and so i book mine in for servicing etc on saturdays normally. I am lucky though that school is only 1/3rd of a mile away.

Can you use the bus for school or is it worth a one off taxi cost?

Ripeberry
04-11-2009, 09:05 PM
There are no buses! Taxi's are like gold dust in the mornings (all being used to ferry kids to and from school). Wish my husband would not arrange these things without checking with me first, but the car needs sorting as it's been making a funny noise for ages and it will break down soon if it's not looked at.

TheBTeam
04-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Thats odd that they charge so much for business use, both of our insurance companies on both cars, where we are both self employed childminders have class 1 business use free on both cars, so we can swap and drive whichever car.

Our old company only charged £14 extra,

Zoomie
04-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm fully comp on his car insurance but it's just for SD&P and commuting to and from work. Husband said tonight, just use the car and if anything happens it was SD&P use to get OUR girls to school.
But its just the business use that is confusing me. They keep saying it's a requirement of our registration (if we drive), but most insurance companies will NOT cover the spouse to have business use (class 1) if the main policy holder does not require it as it makes it very expensive.
We are going to check out other policies at renewal though as although I'm covered by my insurance for a replacement care for accident or theft, it's not possible for breakdown.
It would just be sods law for anything to happen :angry:

In all honesty why not just cover your DH and you for business use .... its immaterial if he actually needs it or not.

Our car is insured for business use, and DH is the policy holder, whilst I am a named driver. Didn't cost a penny extra.

I will be repeating this on DHs other car, when it comes up for renewal next year.

Ripeberry
05-11-2009, 10:20 AM
That's what we are going to do when the insurance renewal quote comes through, because although he needs his car for work, I need it during the day, so if mine was off the road I would just take him to work, take the car home and then when mindees have been collected, go and get him!
Thanks for all your replies :)