PDA

View Full Version : Have I done the right thing arhh!

shelly03
04-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi just got a call out of the blue. A lady wanting full time care for a baby 11months from March. Obviously that is 5 months away and I said I would be happy to have him if I still have a place But unfortunately I cant keep it open for 5 months. I took all her details and suggested that we meet in January and then I will Keep a place open for her till March if she still wants me. Arhh:panic: I really wasnt expecting her call and was taken a back. It is my first enquiry and hopefully i havent put her off.

Have I done the right thing?

Do you think I should have snapped her hands off and waited 5 months.

Chatterbox Childcare
04-11-2009, 01:35 PM
If I had the space and wanted the work I would have seen the parent and then taken a non refundable deposit.

I think come January she will have found someone.

Why not call her back and ask her for a casual chat and coffee and then see how things go.

shelly03
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
If I had the space and wanted the work I would have seen the parent and then taken a non refundable deposit.

Why not call her back and ask her for a casual chat and coffee and then see how things go.What kind of deposit for 5 months would you take, Sorry dont want exact figures but one weeks pay or 2 etc. Just a rough guide. I am new to all this and seriously regretting putting the phone down.

Zoemum2four
04-11-2009, 02:20 PM
What kind of deposit for 5 months would you take, Sorry dont want exact figures but one weeks pay or 2 etc. Just a rough guide. I am new to all this and seriously regretting putting the phone down.

When i first started out, my first enquiry was abit the same as urs but twins, I asked the parent for half the first mths fee and that was none refundable if they didnt take the space up......They were happy with that as it reassured them that they then had their childcare sorted.......

Blackhorse
04-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I know how you feel...

it all depends on how much demand is in your are at the moment..if there is lots of demand you might be full by the time March comes...
how many under 5 spaces do you have?? I mean do you have your own kids as well or can you take on 3 kids??

I would phone her back and say that you would like to meet up with her so that you could find out if she is happy with the place you offer... (and you are happy with her)...then you could offer to keep the place for her for a deposit..I think half months fee sounds good.

even if you dont want to do this..if she has met you then you will be more than just a name in her mind so if it comes to january she will have you in the front of her mind...iyswim

miffy
04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd ring her back if you're having second thoughts - it's amazing how quickly the months flash past and it gives you plenty of time to do settling in visits.

If you think of taking a deposit I would take the first month's fees as deposit - I'd allow this to be offset against fees when they take up the place but it would be non-refundable if they didn't.

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
04-11-2009, 02:41 PM
What kind of deposit for 5 months would you take, Sorry dont want exact figures but one weeks pay or 2 etc. Just a rough guide. I am new to all this and seriously regretting putting the phone down.

I would take something substantial and then she won't change her mind. full time would be one weeks wages (£180.00) and it is non refundable and would be given as a credit against her first month.

shelly03
04-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Why not call her back and ask her for a casual chat and coffee and then see how things go.

I phoned her back she is coming on Thursday next week. Im a little nervous My OH thinks that if I tell her she has to pay a deposit it will put her off. If I charged her a full month it will be quite a lot of money. I know I have to get professional but it does seem a little daunting. Im sure I will get the hang of this.