PDA

View Full Version : Which way is best??

suzyblue
04-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi all,
My daughter has just been given assistant status!!! :laughing: Im now wondering if I should ask to increase my numbers in general (by 1 under 5, at any time when working with an assistant) or ask for a more detailed (and restricting) variation? eg. Giving details of hours/days when I would currently need an extra space. I would then have to change this with each replacement child but would this be more likely to be passed. I would prefer a general i extra child variation as this would cover all eventualities......

LittleMissSparkles
04-11-2009, 11:02 AM
sorry i wont bemuch help as dont have an assistant but didnt want to read and run , good luck working together xxxx

louisepretty
07-11-2009, 08:39 PM
I work with another registered childminder but she started out as an assistant and then registered in her own name after a year.

While she was an assistant my certificate was changed to say that when I was working with an assistant I could mind x children but when working alone could mind y.

There was no mention of days and times so we were never restricted on that and when children's day/times changed we never had to tell Ofsted.

Make sure you keep a record of the days and hours you work and she works with your attendance register as Ofsted will need to see a record of who is looking after the children and when. Also you need to get permission from parents if you ever intend leaving her unsupervised. I had a permission form which the parents signed and stated how long they were happy for their children to be left with the assistant. Some said all day, some said 4 hours, some said 30 minutes! They're all different but you need to have this to show Ofsted. Also if she will ever be left she needs to have current First Aid Certificate and she can't be left with 5-8 year olds even with parental permission!

When you apply just list all the positives and benefits for the children that working with an assistant will bring - like being able to do a school run without taking them all out in the rain, or waking babies when they are sleeping to do a school run. And list all her qualifications - first aid, NVQ, child protection etc etc.

So sorry if I'm telling you to suck eggs and I stand corrected if any of the above information is incorrect but it is what I work to at the moment! Now may assistant is registered I don't have to worry about most of it now anyway.

It was actually suggested to me at my inspection that I increase my numbers so I never had to apply for a variation. The inspector looked at the space, saw how well we worked together and said - have more children. I thought "great, that'll help pay her wages!"

Good Luck - you'll be fine :)

miffy
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi all,
My daughter has just been given assistant status!!! :laughing: Im now wondering if I should ask to increase my numbers in general (by 1 under 5, at any time when working with an assistant) or ask for a more detailed (and restricting) variation? eg. Giving details of hours/days when I would currently need an extra space. I would then have to change this with each replacement child but would this be more likely to be passed. I would prefer a general i extra child variation as this would cover all eventualities......

Sorry, no idea but didn't want to read and run...............

Good luck

Miffy xx

sarah707
08-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Have you seen the new information from Ofsted about assistants?

It is available to download from a pinned thread in the assistants part of the forum...

At the top of where I am moving this thread :D

Nat78
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I have a registered assistant but waiting for children to start before I oficially employ her. I just applied for variation and told I could increase my numbers while she was there and revert to old numbers when working alone. No restrictions on times, just remember to recoed all times children and assistant attends so you cover yourself if checked