PDA

View Full Version : Deposit whilst on maternity leave

bekki0405
02-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi, I'm new to this website, but after reading though the forum, it seems a good place to ask my question.
I am expecting a baby in June and will be taking about 3 mths out after the baby is born. I have informed all my parents, and have been asked by some of them to have their children when I come back. The problem is, I feel I should charge a deposit or something, as with the best will in the world, the parents could plan for me to have their children, and then decide on alternative arrangements, such as giving up work. I don't want to bank on these parents waiting for me, only to be left with spaces come Sept when I come back.
Any ideas on what I should charge? And should I take this off their first months fees when I return. Thanks in anticipation

Rubybubbles
02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I have no idea on this sorry hun, in the lounge area of the forum there's a section for pg peeps maybe they can help

When I was pg, I didn't charge but it was 4 yrs ago now;)

But if you charge a deposit then yes it would come of the first months fees

yummymummy
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
What I would do Bekki is to take a months fees to hold the place in good faith until the date you return. This would be refundable if for some reason you could not care for their child but would be non refundable if they decided not to return to you. If the contract went ahead it would be a pre payment as such for their first month.
I have done this before when a parent wanted me to hold a place quite a long way off and drew up a little agreement stating the terms and we both signed it.
hope this helps :D

bekki0405
05-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. Both good ideas, which I shall use!

deeb66
09-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't mean to upset the apple cart but....

I wouldn't charge the parent anything at all.......after all it is you that is having to take the time off.

Whilst you are on maternity leave they will have to find alternative childcare and change arrangements.

If they had wanted the 3 month break then I could understand charging them something but it seems a little unfair that they should have to pay in these circumstances.

I understand you are worried that they won't come back but i really think that is a chance you are going to have to take.

crazybones
09-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I didnt charge for my maternity leave. I just prayed they would all come back and they did :D . As Dee says it was me who was not working - my choice not theirs.

Annie x

miffy
09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Sorry to say but I agree with Dee

Miffy xx