PDA

View Full Version : scared!!

jackie13
31-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi, i am just wondering when and what i should buy before ofsted do the 1st visit?? I know what i need but i'm scared of buying in case i dont get registered. I dont have my own kids so i will have to buy everything and i cant just use for my own kids if it doesnt work out! On the other hand i want to be ready so ofsted will register me as i want to get the ball rolling as fast as poss! I was going to buy: high chair, travel cot, basic buggy, play mat, table and chairs, step stool for bathroom, storage and toys obv! Oh and a gate for bottom of stairs. Is all this necessary for when they come if i want to be registered soonish? Thanks for your help!

naomiesian
01-11-2009, 01:56 PM
hi, first of all dont be scared, I`ve just had my pre-reg visit and worked my self up so much I was ill, after the visit I thought `well that was easy` so now just worring about my proper first inspection in around 6 months time.
The nice lady from ofsted wasn`t interested at all in toys,pushchairs,cots or any other things like that and to be honest I wouldn`t go and spend on things that you may not even need say if you dont have a baby or toddler for the first few weeks, these things can be bought if and when you need them.
My inspector did want to see my stairgates in place, plug sockets covered but other than that she was just interested in my plans, how I would include everyone in daily activities, RISK ASSESSMENTS- she wanted to see completed assessments for my house garden and also she wanted to know outings procedures. The whole visit lasted about 3 hours, I dont think they expect you to have everything ready as they understand this is a new adventure for you but might be handy to pick up a few books and toys from carboot sales or charity shops and remember to keep all receipts so you can claim all your start up costs. Hope that helps a bit! ;) Naomiesian xx

Madminder
01-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't think that you need to buy all these things yet. As others have siad, they are mosltly interested in your paperwork, especially risk assessments at this stage. Get the setting safe, ie stairgates, socket covers, fire blankets etc.

What you could do is some lists of equipment and toys that you would buy for each ages group and include this in your portfolio so they can see you have thoguht about what you will need.

If you go out and buy a cot, buggy and high chair and end up with 3 4 year olds it will have been a waste of money. Get what you need as you need it and as Naomi said, boot fairs are great, and eBay too.

jackie13
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi thanks for your advice, as u may have read on my other post i am thinking i wont carry on with childminding after all! Its all so much worry and i dont think its the right time for me really. Thanks tho this forum has been helpful in making my decision, better now than when iv spent a fortune in time and money!

naomiesian
02-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi again :blush: , I felt like that as well in the early days, worried about the paperwork and planning as well as everything else, Only you can decide if its right for you but think most of the childminders on here had doubts and worries at the start of it all. Good luck in your decision hun. Naomiesian x

helenlc
02-11-2009, 08:18 AM
The other thing that was suggested to me was to do a Wishlist. This is where you can write down the things you want to get like the highchair buggy etc. That way you can show that you KNOW what you need even if you havent got it yet.

You dont want to buy stuff for a young baby/child and then not use it. I didnt have children that required a high chair for about the first 18 months of childminding.