PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas please?

Cazz
30-10-2009, 11:39 PM
I've got my first mindees on Monday as I'm new to all of this I would really appreciate some suggestions for an activity relating to Guy Fawkes.

I need something appropriate for a 3 year old, a 5 year old and a 22 month old (my dd). As I'll also be looking after their 6 mth old sister it needs to be something I can easily leave if the baby needs me to attend to her.

I've bought some black paper and was going to get some chalk to do bonfire pictures but that seems a little boring on it's own so I'd really appreciate some other suggestions.

By the way, it's an inset day around here on Monday which is why I'll have the 5 year old (and don't want him to get bored!). My own 11 year olds and my 12 year old nephew will also be here - which may or may not be a good thing :rolleyes:

Willowdancer
30-10-2009, 11:55 PM
This is the only thing I've planned to do so far: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/smart/makes/steps/make_series13_plate.shtml

We're going to use black paper plates and do the swirls with glitter glue pens so when you spin them they look a bit like catherine wheels :)

You could also try this: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/chocolate_sparklers.htm - quick and easy to get done.

Or make rockets from toilet rolls and something like crepe paper or the curly ribbon you get for wrapping presents hanging out of one end to make the "whoosh!"

Madminder
31-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Try this one:

Cut the black paper to fit inside a pringles tube without overlapping too much.

Put a selection of neon coloured paints into shallow containers along with a spoon (can use fingers but much more messy!) in each, and a container of clean water too.

Put the black paper into the tubes, drop a large marble into a paint container, use the spoon to cover it with paint and then drop it into the tube. Put the lid on and then shake, rattle and rolls the tube. When done, tip the marble into the water and remove the paper, it looks like fireworks!

You can add marbles one at a time, one following another or add several marbles with different colours at the same time, depending on how long you want the activity to take.

It is great fun, especially if you have a tube for each child and they are all shaking at the same time, put some music on and really have fun with it. Obviously you need to watch the children with the marbles, but as you will have your own older children there too it shouldn't be a problem as I find that the older ones get more panicy than I do about the LOs and potentially dangerous situations! You could probably use the twiglet and cheeselet tubes that are around at this time of year too. You can rinse them out carefully and use them again several times for this activity.

Have fun, I am sure you will be fine.

Trouble
31-10-2009, 12:25 AM
black paper and chalks to create fireworks

kitchen roll tubs to a point a blunt stick stuck at 1 end painted add glitter for a rocket

Angela234
31-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Fav with my lot is black card drizzle glue over it then sprinkle glitter

Get them to paint a bonfire pic have one for them to copy if you like them red yellow orange paints

We also do the above with tissue paper

katickles
31-10-2009, 08:21 AM
what about getting red, orange & yellow tissue paper. Get the children to tear it into strips & make bonfire pics

Cazz
01-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks everyone for your great suggestions.

I've already got the black paper so I'll definetly do something with that - maybe the scrunched up tissue paper for a bonfire and then chalks for fireworks?

The one with the marbles and Pringles tube sounds great fun but even I couldn't eat that many tubes of Pringles before Monday :laughing: I'm going to make a note of it for next year though :thumbsup:

Could also do the rocket from a kitchen roll tube as well.

Thanks again - you're all wonderful :clapping:

miss mopple
01-11-2009, 08:23 AM
we are doing tissue paper bonfires and collecting twigs to stick to the paper.

stuff old clothes with newspaper and make a guy

miffy
01-11-2009, 09:32 PM
This is the only thing I've planned to do so far: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/smart/makes/steps/make_series13_plate.shtml

We're going to use black paper plates and do the swirls with glitter glue pens so when you spin them they look a bit like catherine wheels :)

Going to give this one a try. Thank you

Miffy xx

Pudding Girl
01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
tomorrow we are doing fireworks paintings on black backing, bright neon paints, dipping in a leaf of a savoy cabbage ( the poppy one) bubble side down and that makes a lovely firework effect.

We have the tuff spot filled with leaves we collected on Friday for them to investigate, colour and size and shape sort, pile up into a "bonfire" and cut up with scissors.

The 6mo could be given a clean washed cabbage leaf to mouth on and investigate :) esp if it's cold out of the fridge, it's fab for hot sore gums too :thumbsup:

christine e
01-11-2009, 09:50 PM

You could also try this: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/chocolate_sparklers.htm - quick and easy to get done.

Or make rockets from toilet rolls and something like crepe paper or the curly ribbon you get for wrapping presents hanging out of one end to make the "whoosh!"

I've got suome black paper plates so will have a go at this

Thanks

Cx

Madminder
02-11-2009, 01:04 PM
The one with the marbles and Pringles tube sounds great fun but even I couldn't eat that many tubes of Pringles before Monday :laughing: I'm going to make a note of it for next year though :thumbsup:

:laughing: I had that problem too but put the word out and now I always have plenty from parents and friends! You don't need to wait till next year though, do it with any colour paper and ordinary paints, it's like marbles in the tray painting but much more fun and less messy, we do it all year round.