PDA

View Full Version : Minding in rented accomodation

poggle
30-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey, (sorry if this is in the wrong place i'm new)

I'm moving into a nice big three bedroom flat and am looking into registering as a childminder. My new landlords are happy to give me permission to run a business from their property but are curious about any structural changes that might need to be made to the property or garden.

I'm assuming that everything needs to be made safe much as a nursery or pre school? So there wont be any huge sturctual changes (or any?) to be made. The house has central heating and double glazing.

As there is only one door we would need another exit of some kind? Would an emergancy ladder from a hardwear store be sufficiant?..... help.....

Shar
31-10-2009, 07:15 AM
I don't think a DIY ladder would be a good idea on your fire risk assessment!! As long as you can explain how you would evacuate in the event of a fire (throw a matress out the window and jump/lower yourself & kids down using sheets as a rope) you will be fine. It's no different to being upstairs in a house.

Merry-Minder
01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I would agree with above - Ofsted told me to remember that this is my home and there is only so much you can do to make it safe, as long as you have a good risk assesment for the things you cant change then you are good to go.