PDA

View Full Version : Halloween cake surprise for mindees

Blackhorse
29-10-2009, 10:35 PM
well not so much a surprise as they helped me bake the 2 cakes required for this design....but they dont know it will look like this now that it has all been asembled

we baked 2 cakes..one with a blue and green striped pattern the other with a red and orange striped pattern.
I have then cut each cake in half and filled it with yellow coloured strawberry jam...so all in all 4 layers of cake...

then I decorated it with glow in the dark skeletons, drew a chocolate spiders web...there's a bat and I have a spider...but when I took the pic the web wasnt dry yet...so the spider gets to sit in the cake tomorrow...:D

I hope they will like it!

miffy
29-10-2009, 10:38 PM
That looks fab - pity you're such a way away from me, I could just eat a slice :laughing:

Miffy xx

stressed
29-10-2009, 10:38 PM
That looks fab, love it!:thumbsup:

Blackhorse
29-10-2009, 10:40 PM
haha I should say the cake comes with a warning though...

dd had a bit of the blue green one yesterday as I had to cut the top of to make it flat...and you should have seen the nappy she had today...LOL :laughing:

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
29-10-2009, 10:41 PM
love it!
how did u do the different colours?

PixiePetal
29-10-2009, 10:44 PM
haha I should say the cake comes with a warning though...

dd had a bit of the blue green one yesterday as I had to cut the top of to make it flat...and you should have seen the nappy she had today...LOL :laughing:

:laughing: I remember when I was a nanny, I put colouring into lemonade - green/purple. Looked great but there were side effects! :laughing:

Blackhorse
29-10-2009, 10:46 PM
love it!
how did u do the different colours?

when you are finished making the cake mix..(really whatever cake you fancy as long as it is a light colour) you divide it into two bowls and add food coloring of your liking...or you could leave one plain and use cocoa powder in the other....

then you prepare your cake tin and what you do is you use a soup spoon for each bowl (so you dont mix colours) and you just pile 2 spoon fulls of one colour into the centre of the cake tin. Then right on top 2 of the other colour. You continue until both cake mixtures have been used up...gravity takes care of the spreading out...you just need to keep the spoon fulls on top of each other.
Hope this makes sense....but it is really simple!

once you cut slices the cake should be stripey. the pic I added is one cut horizontally and looks therefore different.

In austria these cakes are known as zebra cakes...baked with a light and a cocoa cake batter...:D

this is my first attempt at it so tomorrow when I cut the cake I hope we get some stripes...I can take another pic of it tomorrow.

Blackhorse
29-10-2009, 10:47 PM
:laughing: I remember when I was a nanny, I put colouring into lemonade - green/purple. Looked great but there were side effects! :laughing:

LOL
It is like eating too much beetroot!! haha:jump for joy:

PixiePetal
29-10-2009, 10:50 PM
when you are finished making the cake mix..(really whatever cake you fancy as long as it is a light colour) you divide it into two bowls and add food coloring of your liking...or you could leave one plain and use cocoa powder in the other....

then you prepare your cake tin and what you do is you use a soup spoon for each bowl (so you dont mix colours) and you just pile 2 spoon fulls of one colour into the centre of the cake tin. Then right on top 2 of the other colour. You continue until both cake mixtures have been used up...gravity takes care of the spreading out...you just need to keep the spoon fulls on top of each other.

once you cut slices the cake should be stripey. the pic I added is one cut horizontally and looks therefore different.

In austria these cakes are known as zebra cakes...baked with a light and a cocoa cake batter...:D

this is my first attempt at it so tomorrow when I cut the cake I hope we get some stripes...I can take another pic of it tomorrow.

Thanks, will give it a go tomorrow when I make DS birthday cake. :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
29-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks, will give it a go tomorrow when I make DS birthday cake. :thumbsup:

I am sure he will like it!

angeldelight
30-10-2009, 07:01 AM
oooooooh they look very yummy

Enjoy

Angel xx

Willowdancer
30-10-2009, 11:11 AM
That looks fab! My mind is now racing with variations on the theme... :laughing:

Blackhorse
30-10-2009, 06:11 PM
so here the inside....

little miss chatterbox
30-10-2009, 06:16 PM
oh wow!!!! That's fab well done you!

I'm about to attempt a pumpkin cake for my daughters birthday party tomorrow and mini ghost cakes for the evening family party! will post some pics when they're done!!!!!!

patevans
30-10-2009, 06:18 PM
so here the inside....

Thats fab :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
30-10-2009, 06:21 PM
and another

Alibali
30-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Wow! We made a cake today too, but I don't think I'll post a pic now I've seen that:blush:

PixiePetal
30-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Well I made a choc/vanilla zebra cake today for DS party tomorrow. No idea what it's like inside but we will find out at tea tomorrow. :D

Will cover in choc fudge icing and a put some spiders on it. :thumbsup:

Need another cake next week so might try different colours then. So pleased you gave the idea Blackhorse :thumbsup:

Carol
30-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Thats spooky fabulous............

Well done

thanks for sharing

Carol xxx

zillervalley
30-10-2009, 09:47 PM
thats fantastic

hope you have plenty of wipes ha

Madminder
30-10-2009, 11:15 PM

Oh, yes, one year I put black food colouring into milk! Never did that again, poor kids had black gums and tongues for days! :eek:

Love the cake btw, will have to try that next time too, thanks for the idea.

patevans
31-10-2009, 07:58 PM

Gonna sound like a plonker now but whats a soup spoon :blush:

Blackhorse
31-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Louise2613...

a soup spoon is seemingly yet another one of my ''own creation'' english words / phrases

In austria, where I come from we sometimes call a tablespoon a soup spoon as you eat soup with it..(as well as other things...)

and sometimes I just translate these things from german into english without realising it...

i have also create a picture machine this way...(a camera...LOL)
usually much to the amusement of people I talk to....

so sorry for the confusion...what I meant was a nice big tablespoon!!:blush:

patevans
01-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Louise2613...

a soup spoon is seemingly yet another one of my ''own creation'' english words / phrases

In austria, where I come from we sometimes call a tablespoon a soup spoon as you eat soup with it..(as well as other things...)

and sometimes I just translate these things from german into english without realising it...

i have also create a picture machine this way...(a camera...LOL)
usually much to the amusement of people I talk to....

so sorry for the confusion...what I meant was a nice big tablespoon!!:blush:

No problem :D

I tried to make the cake but it didnt work, dont know what I did wrong :blush: