PDA

View Full Version : need to pick your brains, what to do next?

jaja
29-10-2009, 10:13 PM
i have completed the diploma in home based childcare and feel that i need to get my teeth into some thing else.....

I dont really want to do a degree as i am dislexic (sp?) and think i would find this hard going but i want to do something but not sure what, i saw a psycolohy (sp?) level 4 but not sure what to do.... and could i get funding from anywhere?

any ideas please to help me xxxxxxxxxxxxx

youarewhatyoueat
30-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Have a look on the OU website there is also a funding calculator which will tell you if you can get funding. There is always the level 4 ccld which if youre quick there is still a small amount of funding left with train to gain but its running out apparently.
I quite fancy doing the short starter courses with the ou to get a taste of the courses. You should get extra support and time if you have dislexia, a friend of mine was diagnosed a few years ago age 30 and got extra time for the exams.She also has had great support for doing the foundation degree.

Donkey
30-10-2009, 12:52 PM
as a childminder it will be difficult to do the nvq level 4 as its about managing mainly. yes you manage the setting and the children but unless you work with an assisstant you will not be able to demonstrate how you manage staff.

most universities have support for students with identified needs and can even access additional funding to purchase equipment for you (such as a dictaphone) to help with your degree.

why not give them a call???

i personally think that nvq level 4 is not much use!!

The Juggler
31-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I would try the FD too, jaja. You can stop after one year if you don't think it's for you and as long as you complete the assignments with a passmark, you still get your Level 4 certificate for taking the year and you cover a range of topics including management.

I think on the management side of things, you need to look at how you influence others, rather than direct management. Several of my peers I did the FD with (most past 40) were diagnosed with dyslexia for the first time during year one of the FD and received lots of help and support so don't let it stop you from doing a degree if that's what you want. They are all now on the third year with me!

I am looking into dyslexia help for my ds and someone I spoke to at the Dyslexia society told me she got into it to help her own ds years ago and he went on to become a lawyer. Uni's and colleges have the funding there to support you moreso than schools do I believe.

David Sheppard
31-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I would try the FD too, jaja. You can stop after one year if you don't think it's for you and as long as you complete the assignments with a passmark, you still get your Level 4 certificate for taking the year and you cover a range of topics including management.

I think on the management side of things, you need to look at how you influence others, rather than direct management. Several of my peers I did the FD with (most past 40) were diagnosed with dyslexia for the first time during year one of the FD and received lots of help and support so don't let it stop you from doing a degree if that's what you want. They are all now on the third year with me!

I am looking into dyslexia help for my ds and someone I spoke to at the Dyslexia society told me she got into it to help her own ds years ago and he went on to become a lawyer. Uni's and colleges have the funding there to support you moreso than schools do I believe.

Fully agree. Both of my daughters have overcome dyslexia with the fantastic support offered. Don't worry about your spelling, that's what spell checkers are for - and we all need them! Many of the people I have spoken to have found the first year of the FD far less challenging than they imagined after coping with the DHC.

Just go for it - you have everything to gain and almost nothing to loose. And, very well done on your DHC success. :clapping:

Regards,

David

Blaze
31-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm tagging on extra units to my DHC to gain a level 3 playwork qualification (via CWDC) - then starting the FD next October. I fully agree with what everyone else has said - I really don't think your dyslexia would hold you back with the FD.:)