PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Planning ???????

LittleStar's
28-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Ok! Im just sitting down doing my first ever long term plan, Not really sure on how to do it though.

I want to keep it really simple, so is it enough to make a grid with 3 colums accross and 12 rows down.

I was going to list the months in the first column , in the second I would name the theme , a few activities and any festivals that we could celebrate, then im not really sure what to put in the third something to do with the EYFS any suggestions???

Is this enough for a group Long term plan or have I got it all wrong???

Also if I do that would I also have to do a long term plan for each individual child?????

Thanks

Jenna x x x x

sarah707
28-10-2009, 09:18 PM
2 columns are enough for long term...

January .... Australia Day / Chinese New Year / Winter

February - Valentines Day / something about the weather perhaps

March - dunno when Easter is, you'll need to check / John's birthday

Long term planning is about festivals, celebrations, things that happen each month...

Short term planning takes care of the rest.

It's about seeing what the children are interested in and planning from there.

So in April, for example, you will have planned for a festival or birthday or wedding coming up etc... but the children are outside watching the worms in the garden and asking questions about worm casts... so you plan to follow their interest.

It's all much more immediate nowadays. You can't plan for next year yet as you don't know what they will want to do.

Does that make sense? :D

LittleStar's
28-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Ok, So the long term plan is really simple!!
I just have 2 columns, list the months and festivals and celebrations!!!

I havnt done short term planning yet! That will be tomorow's post :laughing:

Thankyou for your reply x x x

sarah707
28-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Ok, So the long term plan is really simple!!
I just have 2 columns, list the months and festivals and celebrations!!!
x

Yes that's right! :D

When you come to do the festivals / celebrations / birthdays etc you will do your planning to suit the interests and abilities of the children as well.

So you might intend to make models of Sydney Opera House... you've all looked at the building on the internet, you have postcards of it and the children are really inspired.

John likes modelling in playdough, Jane prefers Lego and Janet is a bit of a fiend with damp sand... you are meeting all their needs while helping them to learn about the world around them.

Hth :D

LittleStar's
28-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Aw that's Ace thanks,

I think I'm finally getting a small understanding of the planning world!!!

Thanks for your help x x x

Tink
01-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi guys, where can i get some ideas for my long term planning?
I've only got 2 children at the moment so im keeping it simple, just stuck for ideas:)

I'm also doing monthly planning sheets and what do you suggest for other planning as i have one child Mon/Tue and another Mon/Fri one week and Mon/Wed/Thur/Fri another?

Thanks guys hope you can give me some ideas:clapping:

sarah707
01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi guys, where can i get some ideas for my long term planning?
I've only got 2 children at the moment so im keeping it simple, just stuck for ideas:)

I'm also doing monthly planning sheets and what do you suggest for other planning as i have one child Mon/Tue and another Mon/Fri one week and Mon/Wed/Thur/Fri another?

Thanks guys hope you can give me some ideas:clapping:

My individual planning is for each child.

My group planning is a range of ideas for using with the group of children over the week...

That way it doesn't matter who comes on what days or for what hours, they all get a go at contributing to and joining in with something :D