PDA

View Full Version : Sleep room

shelly03
27-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi I was just wondering does anybody have a sleep room. My course tutor didnt recommend it as you should have children all on the same level (my sleep room would be upstairs) in case of a fire. However when the lady from Ofsted came for my pre reg visit, She couldnt believe that I had a spare bedroom (which is decorated with farmyard animals and has a toddler bed, with a safety rail and a few soft toys in it) and was not planning on using it. I told her my reasons but she looked puzzled, anyhow I didnt register the room but now I am regreting it as It is a lovely room and would look good to parents. My tutor has made me think that it is a hazard in case of a fire. Any suggestions, What do you think? Has anybody got a sleep room upstairs?:panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
27-10-2009, 03:42 PM
I have a 4 level home and the children sleep everywhere. As long as you have a plan of action does it matter where they all are.

helenlc
27-10-2009, 03:46 PM
The children in my care sleep in my daughters room which is upstairs.

As Debbie said, as long as you have an emergency plan that covers what you would do for those in bed, then you are ok.

Goatgirl
27-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Shelley,
i have a room upstairs which I was going to use for overnights and sleeping during the day; ofsted registered the whole house, no problem at all.
Turns out I haven't used it as most of my mindees are school age, the little ones havent had naps, haha and I have only had one request for overnight care which was for occasional saturday nights which is the only night I get to see my boyfriend :laughing:
So I'm turning it back into my computer/study room as we speak!
It does seem a shame not to have a lovely toddler room registered, as you say. I should think as long as you have considered carefully how you would cope in an emergency evacuation situation it would be fine. You can ask your local fire safety officer to come out and advise you, which they'll happily do; and for free. Might be worth ringing them and see what they say...? Don't know what happens with ofsted, whether they'd need to come out again or if you can add the room on by paperwork... I know once you're registered you can move house and carry on working without necessarily having another premises inspection :) good luck!

best wishes,
Wendy :)

mama2three
27-10-2009, 04:31 PM
my mindee naps upstairs during the day. I also have a bedroom downstairs which is where i was considering doing overnight care .but mrs O pointed out the risks of being on a different level in case of fire - but the risks come if you are sleeping on different levels , so a fire is well underway when you are woken and you have less chance of getting to the lo and getting them out. Maybe this is what your tutor meant , or was getting confused by?

Emmylou75
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi my mindees sleep upstairs in a spare room, inspector who did my pre reg visit was fine with it and didnt even look upstairs but she knew from my application that I'd applied to register upstairs & had obviously read my emergency escape plan. If anything she was pleased that the mindees would have somewhere quiet and safe to sleep in.

Hope this helps
Emma xx