PDA

View Full Version : Paper mache

specks4
27-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi All

I want to make some paper mache with my chargers but cant remember howi made it before, can someone please tell me.

I cant use wall paper paste as allergic to it hence making it

sweets
27-10-2009, 01:31 PM
i would use kitchen roll and watered down pva glue,(about half and half).

thats what they used to use on art attack.:)

carebear25
27-10-2009, 01:41 PM
may have 2 try that :)

madasahatter
27-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I usually use several layers of newspaper followed by a couple of layers of tissue paper or kitchen roll and diluted pva glue (1/2 and 1/2). You can make flour and water glue too which is obviously non toxic (mix water into flour until you get a thick creamy consistency).
An easier but very messy way to do paper mache with LO's is to shred newspaper into a bucket or washing up bowl pour over some hot water and leave it to soak in. Give it a good mix and leave it for the newspaper to disintegrate, adding more water if necessary, when it is nice and gloopy drain any excess water and then add a generous amount of PVA, mix and then use your hands to mould it into shape. You can spread it over the outside of a bowl etc to make things.

specks4
27-10-2009, 08:13 PM
many thanks

jumpinjen
27-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi,

My little ones were playing 'cooking' with flour and water in the garden and when it was all thoroughly mixed and gooey i had the brain wave that we could use it to do papier mache with... we ripped up loads of newspaper into strips and then dipped it into the paste and smoothed it over a bowl covered with tin foil. it was lovely, so cool and silky to touch, the kids loved it. We left the bowl to dry then took off the tin foil... the children decided it was a hill and painted it green and then we made tissue paper flowers to go on.... it's still on the table as a centre piece... now has rabbits etc on it too!!

Flour good as no chemicals... unless child has a wheat allergy!!

Jenni x

manjay
27-10-2009, 08:25 PM
We love papier mache here:rolleyes: Every time we move on to a new topic/theme they always manage to come up with something that can be made from it. We use a flour and water mix and have just made heads for our ghosts with papier mache on a balloon. I am getting better at it. My first effort on a balloon was very lop sided:D

julie w
27-10-2009, 08:27 PM
This has just brought back a memory of my friend making a lovely Easter bonnet for her dd school parade. She didnt realise you needed to add glue and just used paper and water. By the end of the day the poor child just had a heap of mushed up paper on her head.:(