PDA

View Full Version : got paid , after 7 weeks!!

mama2three
27-10-2009, 08:25 AM
well i finally got paid for september , and its nearly november. Mums college are so slow in processing everything - and will only pay in arrears as they cant say if she actually attended etc til afterwards. How on earth do they expect people to manage providing food , resources etc with no money! In retrospect should i have got a deposit off mum ,although i dont think she could have afforded to pay it as shes ( obviously) a student. More worrying was that she couldnt put forms in for childcare until the course actually started , and so I was having the kids before i had anything in writing from college showing they actually would pay - though mum had been told verbally but that doesnt safeguard me!
What do you all do in similar situations?

Pipsqueak
27-10-2009, 08:31 AM
well done you for hanging on in there - bet mum really appreciates it!

I have one parent at uni - they haven't been paid yet but they have given me 4 weeks money in advance.

Princess Sara
27-10-2009, 10:56 AM
I've also only just been paid from the college that one of my mums attends. Same situation as you, but I rang up and spoke to the lady at the college that deals with it all and it put my mind at ease. If she hadn't then I would have been asking for a deposit off the mum.

Goatgirl
27-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi,
Glad you got your money - better late than never!

I recently got stung and it has really put me off taking on student finance-funded families.
The parent kept changing the start date, only turned up here twice in a fortnight, though I waited in every day for her to turn up and kept insisting she still needed me etc.... eventually the college rang me to say they couldn't pay me for the fortnight I invoiced them as the parent hadn't been attending :eek:

I probably would do it again, but would only be able to take on those parents who could pay me a (huge) deposit in advance of the money coming through... a real shame.:(

Hopefully for you it will get better through the year? fingers crossed :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy

Bananabrain
27-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Been there,done that!!!
The whole thing is really pants and to be honest I would think twice before taking on a student's children again.
You are absolutely right; how are we expected to provide for children with no pay for weeks on end?And more to the point;why should we?
System really needs looking at.