PDA

View Full Version : what to do...

Donkey
26-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I am 2 KU's from finishing my NVQ level 3.

I was all set to take it easy for a few months and apply to uni for the foundation degree in September. My network co-ordinator came out to do my appraisal (evidence for my NVQ) and said that they were going to do a big push on letting people know about the new pathways and ways of doing a degree and if she were me she would get on it now (to make sure I get the money thats in the pot)

we get married next year, luckily I have a wedding planner, I have/will be accredited to offer nursery places. am almost full, what to do!!

uni will only be 1 afternoon a week, and fingers crossed mum will be able to look after my little girl. and it will help with my long term plan, I love childminding but am already getting sick of hoarding and the endless cleaning (have been minding 1 year) I want to be able to move and get dd into a decent school (all dependent on what other half decides to do as he changes his bloomin mind if you have read my precious posts)
and am thinking...
foundation degree, then top up to the full ba hons (depending on what happens with eyps that too) then round it off with a PGCE then stick myself in a nice (fingers crossed) foundation unit and do what I do now but get my house, evenings and weekends back! oh and double my salary!
I can but dream!

jumpinjen
26-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Studying whilst minding is really hard.... I am doing a montessori early years teaching course via distance learning but attend contact hours every week on my afternoon off (and pay for childare for my two children to go there) and then study in the evening s and weekends. there is a harsh schedule of fourteen assignments with one handed in every four-five weeks and it is just unrelenting! I have very little time for anything I want to do between studying and childminding paperwork/planning in the evenings and although it will be worth it in the end I was unprepared for how hard it would be.... 18 months of theory and then i will do teaching practice and a portfolio to be completed for that!

having said that I am thoroughly enjoying the new information and the greater understanding of children and how they thrive, and I intend to do EYPS in a few years but consider where you will fit it all in!!!

Jenni :)

Pipsqueak
26-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I know exactly how you feel - I done loads of training development over 3 years and I vowed I would take a break - then I ended up on the FD (now on my 2nd year) lol

Part of me says go for it while the funding is there but another part of me says - do what is right for you and if you need a break then do it or you wll feel pressured and burnt out. Part of professional development is recognising your own needs and limitatons

Donkey
26-10-2009, 10:47 PM
thing is, I thrive on stress, pressure and deadlines, always have!!

I wasn't just satisfied doing my nvq as my assessor didnt want to work at my pace (I wanted to work faster) so I did ncfe courses to keep me busy, I got a new assessor who did want to work at my pace and I have banged in the last 5 units in a few months (the ncfe courses came in handy to apl) lol

but if I want to do my long term goal I need to get on with it asap otherwise dd will get older and then we have the whole school issue to contend with
I am not sending my daughter to a failing school!!! and despite special measures, partnerships with another school and lea gubbins is still failing miserably!!

so think will get on the phone tmrw!

eeek!

miffy
27-10-2009, 07:58 AM
It's a tricky one but sometimes if you take a break then it's hard to go back into it.

If you really want this then I'd say carry on now. Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx

The Juggler
27-10-2009, 08:19 AM
thing is, I thrive on stress, pressure and deadlines, always have!!

I wasn't just satisfied doing my nvq as my assessor didnt want to work at my pace (I wanted to work faster) so I did ncfe courses to keep me busy, I got a new assessor who did want to work at my pace and I have banged in the last 5 units in a few months (the ncfe courses came in handy to apl) lol

but if I want to do my long term goal I need to get on with it asap otherwise dd will get older and then we have the whole school issue to contend with
I am not sending my daughter to a failing school!!! and despite special measures, partnerships with another school and lea gubbins is still failing miserably!!

so think will get on the phone tmrw!

eeek!

When is the wedding! How exciting. I think if it's at uni it won't start until next September anyhow. She probably means make sure you get the interview/place and funding secured now so you don't have to pay. Then you can sit tight until next September so you will still (hopefully) have nice break from study to concentrate on your wedding.

I did my interview in the Feb and started in September so I had a lovely year off after my level 3 before starting.

Good luck. It is unrelenting study but the FD at college (rather than OU) is usually one or two assignments at most per module and around 2 modules per term (so approx 3 per term).

Donkey
27-10-2009, 12:41 PM
nope they have different start dates throughout the year, so could possibly be starting after xmas!

i am getting married in august 2010!

The Juggler
28-10-2009, 11:31 AM
nope they have different start dates throughout the year, so could possibly be starting after xmas!

i am getting married in august 2010!

why not see if you can secure a place for next September and the funding? good luck with wedding.
x