PDA

View Full Version : Inspector said: "You need to have English as 1st language to get outstanding in EYFS"

nonna
21-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I have had an inspector recently and she told me I cannot get outstanding in "The quality of the provision in the EYFS", as English is not my 1st language. Is this true?:(

I already have level 3 qualification in home-based childcare bussiness, comprehensive written paperwork, observation, planning and risk assessment all done in English.

I also deliver my childminding bussines in English.

Do you know someone whose English in not the first language and got outstanding according to the EYFS?

Twinkles
21-10-2009, 05:54 PM
This smacks of discrimination to me :angry: I'm sure she can't be right.

I don't know the answer to your question but thought I'd bump your thread for the clever people to see. :thumbsup:

Kelly
21-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I can see a huge great COMPLAINT going on here, surely she can't say that, it is discriminatory. I would be complaining, as long as your English is sufficient to deliver the EYFS what difference would it make?

ORKSIE
21-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I agree with Twinks this surely cannot be right, and if it is it is very wrong IMO:(

ORKSIE
21-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree with Twinks this surely cannot be right, and if it is it is very wrong IMO:(

And kelly, We posted at the same time:D

sarah707
21-10-2009, 06:03 PM
That is discriminatory and wrong. The inspector needs challenging.

If we can help with wording or anything, let us know.

:D

nannymcflea
21-10-2009, 06:04 PM
If you are delivering the EYFS then it shouldn't matter that English isn't your first language, I think it's fab that kids are getting another language at such a young age,keep it up and keep us posted on how things progress.:thumbsup:

MarpleJollytots
21-10-2009, 06:11 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you record her name ???? See what Pauline thinks,PM her or something.Im gob smacked :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That is just bang out of order. Please dont let it get you down and keep us informed as to how it goes. U must do something tho xxxxxxxxx Feel really bad for you !! :

Pipsqueak
21-10-2009, 06:12 PM
That is outrageous:eek:

I cannot see that it is right or accurate and it (to me) smacks of discrimination .

I hope you got the inspectors name and I second what Sarah says - if you want any help with a letter of complaint - we are your guys. They (the inspector) should NOT be allowed to get away with that!

little miss chatterbox
21-10-2009, 06:15 PM
surely that goes against us being inclusive and anti discriminatory!

That's totally outrageous and needs appealing/complaining about! it is very very wrong

Twinkle
21-10-2009, 06:15 PM
OfSTED should practise what it preaches!! Inclusion, diversity etc etc

I'm offended for you :angry: don't let them get away with it!! :angry:

Chanelle
21-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I agree with everyone on here! That is bang out of order! There is no way she can say that and get away with being so blatantly discriminative! You should definatelly put in a complaint to Ofsted and tell them her name. They are hot on inclusion so how can they go against their beleiefs when it comes to the Childminder!!

Let us know what happens hunny! We are all behind you on this!!

wendywu
21-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I would ask for a copy of Ofsteds Inclusion Policy.

I cannot believe that any one who works for Ofsted would be so stupid to make a statement like that:eek:

Perhaps she wants to retire and her DH will not let her, so she is trying to get the sack :laughing:

Alz
21-10-2009, 07:07 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Like everyone else above says, I think you need to persue this one....!

LittleAcorns
21-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I strongly disagree that english should be your first language!! I would definately be challenging her comment!!

Jules12Wed
21-10-2009, 08:12 PM
We have childminder in my area <name removed> I think she is Turkish but English definitely is not her first language and she has just been given outstanding

nonna
21-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for your support. I really needed that support.
I have emailed the Ofsted a long complaint e-mail.
I asked for their anti-descrimination policy and a figure on the number of outstanding childminders whose English is not the first language as compared to MTE. I also asked for the Ofsted official policy on this regard.
So far they did not reply to my complaint. The just said will try to process my request under the freedom of information act; which may take some time.
I will keep you updated once I get a reply to my complaint.
I will definitely need your kind help as I know this is not an easy battle to fight.

I was video recording an activity of a child who was present during the inspection. That video recording was not about this specific issue but it clearly contradicts some finding in the inspection report ans shows clearly how the inspector distorted the facts and misrepresented my answers to her questions. I mentioned that in my complaint and said I can provide this video as evidence if reqested. I already have written parental permission to video record their child during activities. Do you think I have done the correct thing? Do you think I need to seek legal advice?

Mollymop
21-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree with the others, I think you should complain hun, she obviously doesn't know her job!!:mad:

Heaven Scent
21-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Here Here to all that has gone before - I think there is something about plans for all minder having to have english skills to a certain standard. I'm sorry but as it didn't apply to me I didn't take too much notice of it - so much else to think about - it was something that I put on the back burner until I caught up with all the other things I needed to do or know about - I thought it was something that needed looking into does anyone else here know what I'm referring to - I'm not getting it confused with the requirement for all minders to have childcare qual's to level 3 by the magical moving dates they keep coming up with - there is definately something.

sarah707
21-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Do you think I have done the correct thing? Do you think I need to seek legal advice?

I think you need to wait and see what Ofsted come back with first.

They have a complaints procedure in place and should reply within a certain time frame.

i doubt very much if they keep records of childminders and their first languages so that might be a hold up if they haven't replied.

HOWEVER even forgetting that, you have the right to a reply and they must tell you what their inclusion policy is.

I'd be back onto them tomorrow reminding them you have yet to receive a reply and restating your main points (without the bit about other childminders as that would probably be a confidentiality issue).

Are Bromley helping you? They have quite a strong childminding network and presence I believe.

Hth :D

miffy
21-10-2009, 08:57 PM
I just wanted to wish you good luck with this - if you don't get a quick reply threaten to take it to your MP and the press, that should hurry things along :)

It's disgusting that this should ever have been said to you!

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
21-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Dear All,
Thanks a lot for your support. I really needed that support.
I have emailed the Ofsted a long complaint e-mail.
I asked for their anti-descrimination policy and a figure on the number of outstanding childminders whose English is not the first language as compared to MTE. I also asked for the Ofsted official policy on this regard.
So far they did not reply to my complaint. The just said will try to process my request under the freedom of information act; which may take some time.
I will keep you updated once I get a reply to my complaint.
I will definitely need your kind help as I know this is not an easy battle to fight.

I was video recording an activity of a child who was present during the inspection. That video recording was not about this specific issue but it clearly contradicts some finding in the inspection report ans shows clearly how the inspector distorted the facts and misrepresented my answers to her questions. I mentioned that in my complaint and said I can provide this video as evidence if reqested. I already have written parental permission to video record their child during activities. Do you think I have done the correct thing? Do you think I need to seek legal advice?

so was this actually said during your graded inspection? have you not had the result back from it yet?
are you absolutely sure you have not misunderstood what the inspector has said or even misheard - I am sorry to ask but I am so shocked by this.
For the inspector to have said this, as everyone says, borders on the discriminatory and that is risking her (his?) job.

zillervalley
21-10-2009, 09:23 PM
no no no she cant say that, complaint needs to be put in

ziller

Tired
22-10-2009, 05:38 AM
good luck with your complaint. If this inspector said this she really should be disciplined.

Imagine a school telling a child they could not get the best grade in a test because they don't have English as their first language......Ofsted would be all over the school within seconds! They cant have double standards like that, its completely unacceptable.

huggableshelly
22-10-2009, 07:09 AM
WOW!

i thought my inspector was bad but yours seems worse (or the same one possibly).

i hope you are ok and good luck with the appeal.

MarpleJollytots
22-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Try typing in NO OUTSTANDING IF ENGLISH ISNT YOUR FIRST LANGUAGE ACCORDING TO OFSTEAD into Google ................

nonna
24-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Dear All,
I have sent the complaint to Ofsted on Monday. I asked for their anti-descrinimation policy and asked them not to publish the report online until the complaint is dealt with. One of the reasons I asked for this are some inaccurate statements in the report about my setting. For example, the report says that my own kids teach other childern Arabic; which is both untrue and irrelevant. My kids' first language is English and they are too young to teach anyone any language. During the inspection, the inspector wanted to say explicitely that I speak Arabic and explained and made clear to her I do not want this to be metioned; as I do not want to be prejudged by parent before they see me and my setting. I have explained this in my complaint and over the phone with Ofsted. Today, I found that the inspection report was published on the Ofsted website as is and without coming back to me with the result of my complaint. This way they are trying to enforce a statusque and they will say "sorry. Once the report is published we cannot remove from it but we can paraphrase".
I have already had parents being put off just because I waer headscarf. Also, I am the only Arab and Muslim childminder in my area. If they state my language in the report they are breaching by privacy as it would be easy linking me to the report; as the postcode is mentioned in Ofsted website, the report states information about my language and my family, and my name is available on my website. This can allow non registered childminders in the same postcode to misuse my details ; as they know me, and now they can easily identify my Ofsted number. Also, this will allow anyone to use my number to claim tax credit or childcare vouchers.
Now that the report was published as is and without informing me with the outcome of my complaint, I feel there is intended ill-will on the part of Ofsted and I am seriously considering seeking legal advice.
What do you think?

Twinkle
25-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Have you been in touch with the NCMA, could they give you any advice?

ORKSIE
25-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Nonna, this is terrible NCMA i believe is your first port of call.
I am so sorry to hear you have been put this.
Good luck X

liza
26-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Dear All,
I have sent the complaint to Ofsted on Monday. I asked for their anti-descrinimation policy and asked them not to publish the report online until the complaint is dealt with. One of the reasons I asked for this are some inaccurate statements in the report about my setting. For example, the report says that my own kids teach other childern Arabic; which is both untrue and irrelevant. My kids' first language is English and they are too young to teach anyone any language. During the inspection, the inspector wanted to say explicitely that I speak Arabic and explained and made clear to her I do not want this to be metioned; as I do not want to be prejudged by parent before they see me and my setting. I have explained this in my complaint and over the phone with Ofsted. Today, I found that the inspection report was published on the Ofsted website as is and without coming back to me with the result of my complaint. This way they are trying to enforce a statusque and they will say "sorry. Once the report is published we cannot remove from it but we can paraphrase".
I have already had parents being put off just because I waer headscarf. Also, I am the only Arab and Muslim childminder in my area. If they state my language in the report they are breaching by privacy as it would be easy linking me to the report; as the postcode is mentioned in Ofsted website, the report states information about my language and my family, and my name is available on my website. This can allow non registered childminders in the same postcode to misuse my details ; as they know me, and now they can easily identify my Ofsted number. Also, this will allow anyone to use my number to claim tax credit or childcare vouchers.
Now that the report was published as is and without informing me with the outcome of my complaint, I feel there is intended ill-will on the part of Ofsted and I am seriously considering seeking legal advice.
What do you think?

Hope NCMA can help you
But if it's any help. I disagreed with the wording on my report. It was published on the internet whilst I was trying to sort it out with my inspector, but they did 'replace' the report with the correct one a day later. So they can 'replace' reports if they want to! Unsure if they can delete whilst you agree / follow up the report though?

Liz