PDA

View Full Version : Help!

taiwallis
01-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I had to call my parents one day at lunchtime as i came down with a terrible sickness bug. I called the parents at about 11.30 and they came and picked up at 12.30, some a little sooner. I only have charged my clients for the few hours the children were with me - not for the time i was sick. HOwever, i have one client who is demanding that i pay her work fees (which she has had deducted, for leaving work to pick up the children), and also her creche fees as she decided to go back to work and put her children in another form of care?
Am i wrong or should i do as she says?

oakie dokie
01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
hi, you do not have to pay her wages she lost nor do you have to pay her creche fees, that was her chioce, you do not have any of this in your contract, so NO you do not pay, she is being most unreasonable.

hazelx

crazybones
01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I would say no too. My sickness policy states that if I become unwell or any of my children become unwell and I am unable to continue minding they must come and collect their children immediately. No mention of being liable for any fees she may incur. It is her problem and you are not charging her for while you are unable to work. Most work places allow parents some family leave or whatever it is called for situations like this and the fact that she decided to pay a creche is her problem.

Annie x

tulip0803
01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree most definately no. This is her child and she would have moaned if he had become ill because of you. You are not charging her for the time the child was not with you so she can use that to pay for a creche, which was her decision anyway. Our contracts do not state that we are liable for any losses incurred if we are unable to have the children. You are not responsible for any of this - you were ill.

You are taking unpaid sick leave from your own business I am sure that she would expect to be able to take time off work without her employer demanding she pays for a temp.

Some parents are unbelieveable.

Juliaxx

sarah707
01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
I would take this to your insurance company - she is wrong but you might well need their backing to fight it... make a note of all conversations, write down everything that has happened and transcribe texts etc.

Ring insurance on Monday with all the facts and get it straight with them first.

Hope this helps :D

taiwallis
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks for this advice. I knew in my heart i was right but just needed to hear some support. She is saying that if i don't cover those costs and take 'responsibility for my actions' that she will take her children elsewhere. I guess its not the type of client i would want to keep anyway.
x

Heaven Scent
01-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Thats fine let her take them where ever she wants she won't get any different cover no matter what. If you are a member of the NCMA then you can seek advice from their legal dept and they will support you should things get nasty.

Celine:angry:

sarah707
01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I guess its not the type of client i would want to keep anyway.
x

Absolutely! Don't let it get to you... xx :D

Heaven Scent
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Thats fine let her take them where ever she wants she won't get any different cover no matter what. If you are a member of the NCMA then you can seek advice from their legal dept and they will support you should things get nasty.

Celine:angry:

Mollymop
01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
It's her child, it's her responsibility to pick the child up when you are ill. It can't be helped, you are not invincible, we all get ill sometimes! What is is asking seems ridiculous to me. I hope you get it sorted out ok.

Tatia
01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Would she charge the school if her child were in Reception and she had to leave work because the boiler in the school broke or something? I think not. How utterly ridiculous.

taiwallis
03-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Had a letter waiting on my doorstep first thing this am. The lady has decided to give me 4 weeks notice without consultatoin or trying to work this out. She has said that she was taken aback by my referral to my 'contractual obligations' and to the fact that i told her other parents have never asked for compensation for their work fees and alternative childcare fees. She says it 'actually smacks of a failure to take responsibility'. She also said she is not self centered and money doesn't control her - i think she is saying that it does me. She is also saying that sometimes she is 5 minutes early to pick up her kids and she doesnt ask for the money back! i now have to deal with the fact that the 4 weeks notice she has given me includes 2 weeks of me being 'on holiday' so therefore it is actually 6 weeks she needs to give (obvioulsy not pay for). I am not sure she will like that.
x
ps. sometimes wish i wasn't doing this.

angeldelight
03-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I have never heard anything like this Im only just catching up

Think she has a damn cheek to be honest

Sorry she wants to give notice now but do you really want a parent like this?

You are going to be well shut of her if you ask me

And what about asking if you were ok etc - no concern for you what so ever just all about herself

You are well rid of her

Hope you are ok

Angel xx

Banana
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Firstly.. she doesnt have to have the 6 week notice. Tell her you will accept the 4 weeks notice including your holiday if she would rather find someone else. Let her pay for 4 weeks and then ****** off! What a stupid unreasonable woman!!

Good luck with this one! She sounds lovely :eek:

Dont worry about it! Her demands were unreasonable and I dont know of any childminder who would give her money for loss of earnings, thats just not how it works

x

Pipsqueak
03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I have pm'd you regarding a return letter!

taiwallis
03-03-2008, 12:01 PM
re: 6 weeks notice. These children are for after school care - 4 - 6pm. I took them on for 1/2 term as a favour - 8am - 6pm as she hadn't arranged an alternative, she asked for it on the friday before half term, and luckily because of ages etc i was able to take them. So therefore it is not inthe contract. So they wouldn't be coming in the easter holiday when i am away - so therefore i would only get 2 weeks pay. I thought you were not allowed to include holiday - so therefore everyone gets their 4 weeks of money/care? Or are you suggesting that she can disappear when she likes but she must pay 4 weeks anyway. Also i ahve just noted (stupid i know) that i let her pay the last 2 months at the end of the month as her government money hadn't come through. i had contracted it as in advance but just noticed she has amended the contract. I did it, signed it sent it to her (stupid i know) as she was on holiday, she signed and brought it back but never said and i stupidly didn't check. - so it has both on the contract - in advnace and arrears.

wendywu
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
She sounds a nasty piece of work, dont worry all this will catch up with her any way.

Tell her you want the money for the notice in advance or you will not take the children. But if you have no contract you could stop having them NOW and drop her in it. This leaves such a nasty taste in the mouth. I suggest you tell all the minders in the area so they can avoid her.:panic:

taiwallis
03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
i do have a contract for after school 4 - 6pm. I am not sure legally i am in a position to turn around now and ask for it in advance, if i have accepted her paying it in arrears for the last 2 months? I am worried tho, that she may not pay at the end of the notice period - i have had someone do that to me before and it takes FOREVER through the courts.

yummymummy
03-03-2008, 02:44 PM
You poor poor thing, It is unbelievable that this woman is doing this to you. Does she think that as she pays you that she has absolutely no obligation to her own children at all?
You have been more than fair by not charging her for hours not used. She is trying it on, she will always be like this, she is one of those nasty people we sometimes meet in childminding (well all walks of life actually) who thinks the world owes her a favour and when things don't go her way just turns plain nasty.
Try to speak to her to get fees agreed and when due etc etc and then get rid of her ASAP!!!!! :angry:

ruby
03-03-2008, 06:20 PM
i just can't believe some parents. i have never heard of this before.
i agree with wendy wu ask her to pay you in advance and if she won't don't have them.
i am afraid that i think she will not pay you at the end of the 4wks notice
i hope i am wrong.
i think you will be better of without her

cathy

HilaryT
03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
What a sorry tale - what an awful woman. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth and is very upsetting, but I agree with everyone else that you are well rid of this lady. Let's hope you find someone to replace her who is charming and gracious and a good payer!

Hilary

taiwallis
03-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all the support. Now, the kids came today. She has not given me the cheque for the outstanding from last month - she wouldn't even come to the door to get the kids. I have given the letter via the children. If she doesn't come back to me tomorrow i will ask for outstanding money and months notice in advnace to be paid by the end of the week. If she doesnt, then how does it stand. Some of you say, don't take the children, but the legal team reckon she has until the end of the notice period to pay. Then take her to court if she doesn't. How do i stand if i don't take kids - can't she then sue me for loss of earnings????

Rubybubbles
03-03-2008, 07:13 PM
oh good grief

I would never in a million years be expected to pay for other costs, if I'm ill:eek: how strange is she

Bit confused though, if you have her kids 4-6pm why would she need to pick up early? Or was this during half term (trying to take it all in:laughing: )

Good luck and agree best rid:thumbsup:

taiwallis
03-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Sorry, yes not totally clear. She has the children contractually coming to me between 4 - 6pm. She then asked friday night before half term if there was any way i could have her kids during half term - i thought she meant just a couple of days. She ended up wanting 8am - 6pm Mon - Friday. It was a tall order to ask at such short notice but i was able to do it, EXCEPT when i started throwing up.
I failed to mention that not only is she saying i need to cover the fees of her loss of income due to having to pick the kids up, but also for her to take them home and change them and ALSO to take them to lunch as well as the costs of the lunch and then on top of that the creche fees.
Whoopeee doo - if i don't say that i might cry!

Twinkles
03-03-2008, 07:23 PM
She's a silly c#w, she's just trying it on. She doesn't have a leg to stand on and any childminder would just laugh in her face at such nonsense.
Bl##dy woman :angry:

Tatia
04-03-2008, 08:17 AM
She must be insane! Who on earth would ever... just don't even know what to say. Charging you for her time to change and feed them?! :angry:

I guess just from now on, in every interview for prospective parents that you do, make sure to point out that you are not responsible for lost wages if you become ill! Better yet, write a policy and have them sign it.

I'd almost like to see her take you to court cos she'd be tossed out on her ear!

Polly2
04-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi
Poor you she sounds absolutely horible. There is no way she can say you are responsible and owe her money.

I also can't believe how nasty her letter was.

Get rid of her asap. Glad you got legal advice.

Big hugs to you, this must be awful xxxxxxx

wendywu
04-03-2008, 09:35 AM
I assume that she has not paid for the few hours you did have the children on the day she was sick. If she owes you money then you do not have to have the children. If she is demanding money off YOU then i think you have every right to terminate the contract. Write her a letter using the words extortion, bullying and intimidate. :angry:

taiwallis
04-03-2008, 11:03 AM
HI wendy,
No she still owes the money. She never paid it - and her children are still coming to me unpaid, until 14th April. That is end of notice period as i am away for 2 weeks. I am really taking a gamble. I wrote a really nice letter explaining that i wasnt at fault but that i would look into it if she were not to be silly and pull the childrne out. REgretting this now, as originally i thought perhaps i was at fault, but since listening to you guys i realise how i am so not! Legal team said that she doesn't have to pay me until end of the notice period and then if she doesnt i go through them - i had to do this with a client last september and although she accepted liability, the courts still i quandering about how much she should pay me a month. i don't want this one to end up like that - i guess i am not a very good judge of character, or are there really that many mean people out there. I could toss the kids out on their ear, but i do like them and they have had a pretty rough background, not there fault. They will be devastated when they find out, as they are really comfy here. Its all a big risk!

wendywu
04-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Tai

Have you told the legal that she owes you money already owed. If she gets at all nasty with you report it to the police just to have it on record. No one has to put up with feeling threatened in their own home.:panic:

taiwallis
04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
hi! actually just got off the phone from them! They have said i can ask for the money up front, and the money she deducted but legally she does not have to pay until end of notice period. If i was to stop taking the children then she could sue me for breach of contract. So i have to keep going! x

taiwallis
04-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Ok - next step of saga. I have just raced back from school run, to find an answer machine message telling me that 'this is a courtesy call, to let you know the children are staying iwth their grandma today'. Do i read any more into it?
Message left 5 mins before they were due. i guess i wait until tomorrow.x

Kelly
04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
probably shouldn't, but I wouldn't be able to!!! what a horrible parent to have to work with I feel for you, I thought a couple of mine pushed the limits but this takes the biscuit!!!

Good luck with this Tai

Kelly

wendywu
04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
So does this mean that people can not pay you and you still have to take their children?

You could always get the doctor to sign you off with stress!! but then you would let other parents down. I hate the thought of this horrid women getting away with this.:angry:

taiwallis
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
apparently so. i have to work the notice period or else i am in breach of contract and she could sue me for loss of income and more. so not going down that street. so just have to sit and ride it out now, then claim through ncma legal team if she doesnt pay - then if she claims poverty the court COULD make her pay less than what she owes - its the way it works and i don't think very fair!

wendywu
06-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Any news Tia, how has the mum been with you.
Is she now asking for you to pay for having the childrens clothes washed and ironed as they get dirty at your house, or perhaps you should pay for their haircuts because it does grow when you are looking after them you know.:laughing:

Hope this has not been getting you down too much.:)

taiwallis
06-03-2008, 09:44 AM
:clapping: oooh -you made me laugh!!!!! :jump for joy: the kids turned up last night and they were fine - she turned up adn picked them up - i had to talk to her as 1 child is teaming in nits - she says nothing she can do about it as she can't have any more treatments - no money from last week - no mention of my nice letter i wrote so going to give her till friday and then give her outstanding invoice for monies owed last week and notice period, and just see what happens. there is nothing worse dreading the parents coming!!! role on holiday! thanks for asking tho!!

angeldelight
06-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Good luck hope you do get it sorted

Angel xx

Tatia
06-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Nothing she can do about nits?! Ummm, how abut some conditioner on the hair and a sit down with the nit comb? It's better than nothing!

wendywu
06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Try a swimming cap!:laughing:

Rubybubbles
06-03-2008, 06:28 PM
oh good grief, she is very lucky your having them until 14th april!

i REALLY HOPE U GET YOUR MONEY HUN,ANd (whoops not shouting hit caps sorry!) for now on charge in advance, late payment fee, no payment no childcare you know the drill if not, we'll help you;)

miffy
06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry I'm just catching up with this but could hardly believe what i've read

What a vile woman - just hang on in there cos I think she'll pay up but is just making you wait for it.

Don't let her bully you and make sure you add any extras on like the late payment fees

I can't believe this was your reward for trying to help her out

Chin up we are all here for you

Miffy xx

Lou
06-03-2008, 07:25 PM
So sorry only just catching up with this now.

What an absolute WITCH this woman is, i am actually in shock reading this.

As she owes you from last month can you not refuse to take the children until she has at least settled that??

And im sorry but nothing she can do about nits?????????????????
sit down and comb them out you lazy :censored:

wendywu
06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes tia give her all our numbers as future minders to replace you, we will soon put her right and some.:angry:

taiwallis
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
That would be quite funny! Ok - so now its Friday. I gave her my lovely letter on Monday. They didn't show Tuesday, but have come all the other nights. She has mentioned NOTHING about the letter nor the outstanding money from last month. I HATE confrontations, not my strong point, as i turn to a bag of jelly. So do i leave it tonight and send her a bill recorded delivery so i am covering my tracks or give her an invoice for the outstanding money by hand tonight. Do i also give her the bill for the notice period, or wait until April for that?
xx

LittleMissSparkles
07-03-2008, 11:22 AM
That would be quite funny! Ok - so now its Friday. I gave her my lovely letter on Monday. They didn't show Tuesday, but have come all the other nights. She has mentioned NOTHING about the letter nor the outstanding money from last month. I HATE confrontations, not my strong point, as i turn to a bag of jelly. So do i leave it tonight and send her a bill recorded delivery so i am covering my tracks or give her an invoice for the outstanding money by hand tonight. Do i also give her the bill for the notice period, or wait until April for that?
xx

If it was me I would give it to her in her hand tonight and then she cannot say she has not received it, I would bill her for the money owed and her notice period so she has the full figures of what she owes you xxx good luck xxx

taiwallis
07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Had the letter ready, hiding in the utility room. Wanted to see if she said anything tonight. If she hadn't i would have given it to her, but she has said could we have a discussion on Monday. I think she may have changed her mind and wants me to continue with the care of the children. I don't know that, i am presuming. The letter i gave her at the beginning of the week was really nice, just saying that for the sake of the continuity of care for the children could we not work something out. Perhaps she has come around. She was very pleasant tonight. She couldn't discuss tonight as she was entertaining until 2 am and so said her head was like mush. The kids had another outstanding evening here, they really love it and my kids are very attached. So i guess lets wait and see......

jmoff
07-03-2008, 06:40 PM
how awful for you!! hope she pays!

What a nasty woman

bekki0405
07-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Was looking for some advice on something, but after I read this saga, I have forgotten what I came here for!!!!!!
Anyway, as with all these good people, I agree that it is almost unbelievable, and I have never heard anything like it in my life.
However, it sounds like, if your guess is right, that she may be reconsidering her position. I have to ask this.....would this be because she has realised the error of her ways, or more likely has not found anyone else who can have her children at such short notice. More importantly, after this terrible situation, and the bitter after taste that this must have left, do you really want to continue looking after her children, even if they do get on well with your children. Surely you will always be worried about a similar incident, and I know I would not feel comfortable continuing to care for children under this threat. There are plenty of reasonable parents out there, who do not expect you to pay for their lunch at The Ivy!!