PDA

View Full Version : House size again!!

jackie13
19-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi, i'm new on here, i know there is another thread about house size but i feel like my house is even smaller! I have just finished my pre reg course. I live in a terraced house and the only room i will be able to allow children to use is the lounge which is small. There is a downstairs loo off the kitchen which is a bonus and i have a good sized garden but i will need to fence part off at some point cos i have 2 dogs (i know some of u said u dont have to but i would prefer it for my own peace of mind anyway) so garden may not be in use for a while until i can afford to do it. I have thought i will get a large play rug for toys on the floor and a childs table and chairs aswell. I plan to take children out a lot as there is a park, library and childrens centre all in walking distance and play centres and country park 5-10mins drive away.
Sorry I'm going on a bit but does anyone have any idea how many children i would be likely to be registered for? I am a nanny at the mo and have had a 3yr old, 4yr old twins and a 10yr old and me all eating tea in my lounge and it didn't feel too bad space wise!!!
Thanks!! ;)

Pauline
20-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi, i'm new on here, i know there is another thread about house size but i feel like my house is even smaller! I have just finished my pre reg course. I live in a terraced house and the only room i will be able to allow children to use is the lounge which is small. There is a downstairs loo off the kitchen which is a bonus and i have a good sized garden but i will need to fence part off at some point cos i have 2 dogs (i know some of u said u dont have to but i would prefer it for my own peace of mind anyway) so garden may not be in use for a while until i can afford to do it. I have thought i will get a large play rug for toys on the floor and a childs table and chairs aswell. I plan to take children out a lot as there is a park, library and childrens centre all in walking distance and play centres and country park 5-10mins drive away.
Sorry I'm going on a bit but does anyone have any idea how many children i would be likely to be registered for? I am a nanny at the mo and have had a 3yr old, 4yr old twins and a 10yr old and me all eating tea in my lounge and it didn't feel too bad space wise!!!
Thanks!! ;)

I have the space/child ratio on the main website, that might help you to work out how many children you can have:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/childspaceratio.html

:)

jackie13
23-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks, i've had a look at this, is there no rules for over 5s you have before and after school then? I have worked out that i have about 10.5 square metres just in the lounge so i could have 2 under 2's and one 2-5 year old and some before and after schoolers? Also can you include outdoor space? I think i should be ok for what i wanted anyway, probably 4 children at any one time. I should be able to use the space effectively so fingers crossed!!

Pauline
23-10-2009, 02:13 PM
No you can't include outdoor space Jackie.

As regards older children, the ratio mentioned is just for EYFS, I would imagine that for older children they might take into account how long they were with you and the space ratio might be similar to a 5 year old if it were full time.

But as far as I can find there is no child/space ratio on the Childcare Register, unless someone else can find differently?

:)

Mollymop
23-10-2009, 03:29 PM
My inspector told me they are trained to think of a double bedroom - if your lounge and kitchen combined is the size of a double bedroom you should be allowed the full amount of children, which I would think it would be more than the size of a double bedroom so you will be fine.

jackie13
23-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks, i think i should be ok! Trouble is cant really count kitchen because i have 2 dogs so they would have to be separated, although i had thought that older children could use the kitchen table on the laptop or doing homework. Dont know what the rules are re dogs but i know they are safe, kids have practically dragged them around and they dont bother!!

Minstrel
23-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Also kitchen is on the list there for rooms you cant include in your measurements. :(

Mollymop
23-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Also kitchen is on the list there for rooms you cant include in your measurements. :(

This is news to me - Where did you get this info from so I know for future reference? Thanks hun

Pauline
24-10-2009, 09:01 AM
This is news to me - Where did you get this info from so I know for future reference? Thanks hun

She got it from the info on my website:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/childspaceratio.html (http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/../childspaceratio.html)

and I got the info from the EYFS Welfare Requirements :)

Mollymop
24-10-2009, 11:31 AM
ok thanks both!

Minstrel
27-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Oh sorry just seen this. Yes as Pauline said I got it from the welfare requirements and Pauline has it in link above. xxx

Mollymop
27-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks hun xxx

Madminder
27-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Just a word of warning, my inspector told me that this space ratio also does not include furniture, only open floor space that can be used for playing in, so if you have a large coffee table in the middle of the room, hide it upstairs for your inspection and when you get that kids table and chairs try to get folding/stacking ones.

jackie13
27-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Not even the sofa??

Madminder
28-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Not even the sofa??

Apparently not, but then you know how some inspectors interpret the rules in the own personal ways!