PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Advice & questions

User100
19-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi there

I'm a parent turning to you wonderful childminders for some advice.

My current childminder is excellent and my child is very happy there. We've been through a few changes this year as I was made redundant at the end of last year and luckily got another position quickly. I paid my childminder full pay throughout this time. I have always paid on time (worked out monthly by dd) and if we can pick our child up early we will do which is probably about 50% of the time. I pay full pay if I'm on holiday also. There is the odd rare occurence where we may be late (it's happened once in over a year) My childminder has two weeks annual leave a year unpaid.

She now wants five weeks fully paid annual leave, which is a shame because I don't get five weeks paid holiday a year and cannot pay for her and for someone to look after my son, and unfortunately this has been non negiotiable, but I just am unable to justify this and while I have signed the contract unfortunately this will be a short term option.

So a couple of questions really..... is it the norm to pay full pay 52 weeks a year, as I thought if the childminder requested leave then it was usually unpaid?

What questions do I need to know to find an alternative childminder?

Thanks in advance

singlewiththree
20-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Hello, Every childminder does it differently as we are self employed.

I have holidays in school holiday time and therefore don't charge for my holidays as I'm on term time only contracts with my children.

If I do work in the holidays I have 4 weeks unpaid leave as I am not available to work. Some childminders do 50/50 for all holidays so if you take a holiday you pay half and if the childminder takes a holiday she/he accepts half fee. I really think you need to discuss this with the childminder and see if you can come to an arrangment. I know its hard but I'm sure that your childminder would hate to lose you as you have always paid on time and are a full time parent.

katickles
20-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi

As Singlewiththree mentions, all childminders are self employed & therefore the terms they charge are their choice.

As you have now signed the contract then you would need to give noitce as per contract to leave the childminder, BUT before doing so I would ask her for a meeting to discuss with her the changes.

I am guessingthat she would have at some point informed you of the changes??

Personally I do not charge for holidays that I am taking as as far as I am concerned, my service is unavailable. I do charge full for mindee's holidays as thats not using my available service.

I also know of childminders who charge 1/2 for there holidays & half for mindee's so that income isn't as affected.

I really would ask to speak to your childminder as you could then hopefully maybe reach a comprimise (sp)

:)

wendywu
20-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I dont charge if i am on holiday. I do however charge for Bank Holidays if they are in the contracted time.:)

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
20-10-2009, 08:41 AM
hi,

In my contracts it statesthat i can have 4 weeks holiday a year and charge half my hourly rate. The children can have 4 weeks holiday a year where they pay me my full rate.

This was agreed with the parents when we completed the contracts, as the others have said each childminder does it differently.

estrelas
20-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi

as you can see we are all different, Personally I wouldn't charge if I was unable to work. Simply because the parent would have to pay double childcare and I don't think thats right.

We all work different and I can see the point of view that we do work hard, it is a job that requires extra work after hours and our days can often be very long, other proffessions get paid holidays so maybe we should also.

Maybe some kind of compromise is needed. you are clearly happy with your childminder which is the main thing.
Can you not talk further to her?

Hebs
20-10-2009, 09:22 AM
i take UP to 4 weeks off on full pay :thumbsup:

suzyblue
20-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I have four weeks paid holiday too. This is taken in the school hols so not all parents have to pay (term time only) The weeks are the same every year so that parents can have their hols at the same time. I did read somewhere that 5 weeks was the recommended entitlement but I personally feel that 5 weeks is a bit much but as said, every childminder has their own rules. Someone I know charges holiday pay which is taken during sch holiday time even tho all of her parents are teachers and are contracted to term time only! Talk to your childminder, Im sure she would reconsider if she knew it would cause you financial hardship.

Merry-Minder
20-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I believe everyone shold be entitled to some paid holiday - I personally take three weeks a year, I also ask my parents to pay still for their space when they are away, this means my parent pay excactly the same every month.
I have tried to take a little as possible as I understand that parents have to arrange alternative care.
This is, as the others said, totally at the discretion of each individual childminder - five weeks does seem a lot, especially as you are used to paying none, im sure if you sat down with your minder, if shes fair she will be willing to negotiate.
Hope it works out.x

jelly15
20-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't charge for any time I am not available, sick, bank holidays and I take two weeks off at Xmas and two weeks in the school summer hols. However, if a parent doesn't take their hols at the same time as me then I expect to be paid full fee as it is their choice not to use the time they are contracted to.

The Juggler
20-10-2009, 01:07 PM
everyone does differently but most that I know have paid leave. I have 4 weeks per year but all my families are part time so that is 6 or 7 days at most for most of them. The others are term-time only.

However, it seems extreme to go from unpaid to 5 weeks paid. I think if I was considering starting paid holiday from zero, I would probably go with less holidays. I only got 5 weeks at my last company I worked at and they were generous at the time.

I think you'll find most that charge for holidays take a max of 4 weeks. 5 seems high. You'll also find some that charge half for yours and half for theirs.

It's a shame. Will she not discuss it any further? I know you've signed but if you explain that you cannot afford this as it will cause you to take a weeks unpaid leave even if you match all of her other holiday dates she might not want to lose you.

Good luck.

TheBTeam
20-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi, I have some children that i care for on a full year contract, of these two pay full fee for 2 weeks of my holiday in the summer and 1 week at christmas, one mum who has no alternative childcare pays half fee for the two weeks in the summer only.

I have however recently changed my policy to charge slightly more an hour, but to have no paid holiday, as I am finding parents not wanting to pay any holiday pay or giving notice at optimum times to avoid paying. I therefore have decided that I will feel less guilty taking any holiday if it is unpaid, so I am increasing my rates and taking no paid holiday for all new families. This then gives the parent money to pay another carer and I will not feel guilty for taking a holiday as I do now.

Good luck with your childminder, I am thinking that 5 weeks paid holiday is a lot as it ties all if not more of your holiday to fit in with theirs, but as others have said we are self employed and can set our own terms!

Good luck it would be a shame to have to find another minder, it does seem a sweeping change to a contract with no discussion, which I think from a parental perspective would get my back up a bit!

hayleychildcare
20-10-2009, 01:28 PM
All childminders are different....

I dont expect pay for my holidays, i also dont charge for a mindee's holidays providing i get 2 weeks written notice from parent otherwise i charge full price.

User100
21-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Many thanks for your responses.

Yes, I have tried talking to her about this, but as she said it's non negiotable. I'm not trying to prevent her taking her hols, just that I don't want to pay for them, then pay again for childcare. Also, unfortunately I now feel I'm not getting value for money, as charging expensive rates, I would expect an outstanding offsted report as opposed to good, new-ish toys instead of tired toys etc, right through to silly little things like Shreddies instead of own brand malts.

So if you know anyone in the Coventry area with availability and no more than £4.50 per hour/5k per year, then please let me know.

The Juggler
21-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Many thanks for your responses.

Yes, I have tried talking to her about this, but as she said it's non negiotable. I'm not trying to prevent her taking her hols, just that I don't want to pay for them, then pay again for childcare. Also, unfortunately I now feel I'm not getting value for money, as charging expensive rates, I would expect an outstanding offsted report as opposed to good, new-ish toys instead of tired toys etc, right through to silly little things like Shreddies instead of own brand malts.

So if you know anyone in the Coventry area with availability and no more than £4.50 per hour/5k per year, then please let me know.

I think as a parent I would be doing likewise, given the increase in rates and massive increase in holiday charges. Especially if there is no room for discussion.

However, wouldn't look badly on someone supplying own brands for food - especially when food is included in your rate. I tend to, as they are half the price and exactly the same. I won't buy the cheapie, cheapie versions if they are full of additives/lacking in flavour but when it's the same thing for the same money I do that every time. Even then I'm struggling at the moment supplying meals for free so keep an open mind when you go to see the new childminders.

Good luck. sorry for you and lo that you are having to do this. Have you checked the regional vacancies section on the forum.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I have only just seen this thread and would just like to add that I think that going from nothing to 5 weeks paid holiday is aslightly excessive. I have 2 weeks paid holiday and give plenty of notice so that parents know when it is and they tend to take theirs at the same time.

I would contact your local childrens information service and ask them for a list of childminders in your area.

Something else to consider is that if you are paying £4.50 per hour and full time (10 hours) then the yearly cost would be well over £10000 and not £5000 as you posted. I wondered if the childminder has put in holidays instead of putting your rate up for part time hours?

Good luck with your search.

carol cameron
24-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Over the 12 years I have been childminding I have adjusted my holidays and fees and as it always seemed to be me that took a cut in wages during holiday times! I currently take 4 weeks holiday a year-2 weeks at xmas and 2 weeks at summer. I charge half fee for this.If parents are in receipt of tax credits (and some of mine are) no-one says I would still like to pay you in full and they still get the full amount. For this reason I charge full fee the rest of the year unless I am unable to provide a service when I make no charge at all.In fairness the parent may have to pay someone else that day.
I tell my parents that if they turned up at work and were told "go home we don't need you today" they would still expect their wages to be the same. Also, they usually get full pay when they are on holiday.....................

User100
26-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Many thanks for all your responses. I have luckily got another potential childminder lined up, but it's not been an easy search.

The tesco malts as opposed to Shreddies was only mentioned because of the amount I was paying, not really what I look for.

I use a childminder for 2.5 days per week, which is why 5k instead of 10k as I work part time.

We don't get any tax credits so any financial increase comes straight from my pocket.

Whilst I can fully appreciate why she would like paid holiday, she is self employed and therefore not entitled to paid holiday unless I sign to say I agree. I pay an all inclusive rate and my son has breakfast and tea at home so she doesn't really have much food costs because he doesn't like eating out so to pay the all inclusive rate for the holidays just doesn't seem fair. We all like to be treated fairly, including childminders.

Minstrel
26-10-2009, 08:15 PM
she is self employed and therefore not entitled to paid holiday unless I sign to say I agree. .

But from what I read in your first post, you did sign to say you agreed to it so i think unless your CM is a mindreader, i think its a little unfair to assume she knows you are dissatisfied.

FWIW i do not charge for my hols.

cuffleygirl
27-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I do the same as Jelly.

But for a relationship to work between parent, child and childminder there absolutely has to be proper communication.

If your child is happy and settled surely that's the most important consideration, talk to your childminder we don't bit. I'm sure you'll be able to reach a compromise if you both want to. It may be she wants out of the contract without being the one break it or she may have other reasons for the increases but without talking to her you won't know.

Also the Tesco Malts, if your son has breakfast home, what is the problem they are a healthier snack than choccy biscuits!

User100
27-10-2009, 06:48 PM
But from what I read in your first post, you did sign to say you agreed to it so i think unless your CM is a mindreader, i think its a little unfair to assume she knows you are dissatisfied.

FWIW i do not charge for my hols.

Sorry I'm not being very clear... all this I've posted here I did say to her when we met to renew the contract, however she said she is not prepared to compromise. She said I could go away and think about it and look elsewhere, so I only signed to give myself time to search. She did say one of her other mindees mum's is pregnant and I think she's assuming she will lose her from our conversation but that's not really a reason to charge more.

xoxcherylxox
27-10-2009, 08:58 PM
i take 5 weeks holiday as the yearly entitlement is 5.6 weeks so i dont understand why you dont get 5 weeks paid holiday unless you yourself are self employed. i charge half fee for my holidays but work it out for the full year the divide it by 12 so i get paid the same amount each month regardless of whether i am on holiday i also include a week with no fee which covers any sick days i may need to take therefore 46 weeks full fee + 5 weeks half = 51 weeks (leaving 1 week free) divided by 12 months = same monthly payment regardless of holidays.

The Juggler
27-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Sorry I'm not being very clear... all this I've posted here I did say to her when we met to renew the contract, however she said she is not prepared to compromise. She said I could go away and think about it and look elsewhere, so I only signed to give myself time to search. She did say one of her other mindees mum's is pregnant and I think she's assuming she will lose her from our conversation but that's not really a reason to charge more.

You did mention she was not prepared to compromise. TBH i would cut my losses. good luck with finding someone new. however, she might be hard pressed with losing the mindee whose baby sibling is on the way so she might have a change of heart if you tell her your actually going to start looking.

However, as a parent I think I would fee the trust and two relationship has gone given the lack of discussion over these massive contract changes and lack of compromise offered.

Minstrel
28-10-2009, 12:13 PM
You did mention she was not prepared to compromise. TBH i would cut my losses. good luck with finding someone new. however, she might be hard pressed with losing the mindee whose baby sibling is on the way so she might have a change of heart if you tell her your actually going to start looking.

However, as a parent I think I would fee the trust and two relationship has gone given the lack of discussion over these massive contract changes and lack of compromise offered.

I think I would do the same. If she is not willing to compromise and you are not happy to pay the hols (whether you could afford to or not) then i dont see how she leaves you with any choice.

Good luck in your search for a new CM.