PDA

View Full Version : Can I join the Slow Cooker Club?

singlewiththree
19-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I've just bought a slow cooker from Tesco for £10! :clapping: now I need to work out how to use it :)

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2009, 01:13 PM
It will be the best thing you have ever bought :clapping:

Love mine :thumbsup:

little miss chatterbox
19-10-2009, 01:13 PM
:clapping: you wont be sorry! I love mine especially in the winter!

angeldelight
19-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I was going to buy one of these - any hints / tips would be great from anyone

What should I be looking for if I buy one or are they all more or less the same?

Angel xx

little miss chatterbox
19-10-2009, 02:51 PM
i would go with one with a seperate crock pot and different heat settings.

having had one with a single setting and one setting I found that didn't cook as well as the one I have now!

I love mine especially if i know i have a busy day on or a late session, I can just serve it up as soon as all the children have gone!

julie w
19-10-2009, 02:56 PM
My nan gave me a slow cooker about 3 years ago. I have never used it, but would love to. Just don't know where to start. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Chatterbox Childcare
19-10-2009, 02:57 PM
easy - chuck it all in and turn it on!!

Seriously, don't worry about the order it all goes in - I personally make it on the hob and transfer it to the hot plate (I can cook in my pot)

Don't put too much fluid in - just cover the stews, casseroles etc and when cooking whole joints by boiling/steaming just put the liquid up to 1/3 of the joint - makes great honey roast ham

PixiePetal
19-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Love my slow cooker :clapping:

It's quite large, has a low and high setting as well as a keep warm - useful if DH gets home a bit late or we want to eat after mindees have gone.

Has no timer so pretty basic but good enough for me and fits a lot in :thumbsup:

grindal
19-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I got one of these given to me a few weeks ago and it is great. I have done stews and casseroles and even roast a chicken in it! If you google slow cookers it comes up with loads of recipes - but the advise on here is great - just chuck it in!!

Mollymop
19-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I want one!!
£10 from tesco? I am going there later so will have a look for one!

angeldelight
19-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I want one!!
£10 from tesco? I am going there later so will have a look for one!

I had a look and could not see them :crying:

xxx

Mollymop
19-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I had a look and could not see them :crying:

xxx

Well if I find one I will send it along with my £1!! haha

katickles
19-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I love mine aswell - I can make some yummy meals & with no fuss because like said above, chuck it in & thats it!!

I do always brown mince fisrt if making chillis/bolognaise etc just so you don't get all the fat coming out in the dish:eek:

I also use mine to roast chickens & the chicken just falls off the bones, so juicy :D

I agree aswell, get one with heat settings, mine has just high/low but thats fine. Some things definatly need to be cooked on the lower setting :)

CherryBlossom
19-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Arr well done on buying your first slow cooker :laughing: :laughing:
it is so great-i love it. I made Chilli the other day in mine..so easy and simple.

x

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Just chuck it in and by the end of the day its done :clapping:

I do-
Chilli
Spag bol, with mince i brown first and drain fat
Whole chicken
Beef/Chicken stews
Whatever you want really, mine is a Morphy richards, 3 settings and a separate crock pot-fab :thumbsup: think it was argos .

Ripeberry
19-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm doing lamb shanks this week in mine, but it does take up to 9hrs on slow. So I usually put it on high and it's done withing 6-7hrs :thumbsup: Just be prepared to have your house full of lovely cooking smells for most of the day :laughing:

singlewiththree
19-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Looks like I got a bargain then as the tesco one has a separate crock pot and has low medium and high setting :clapping:

angeldelight
19-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Looks like I got a bargain then as the tesco one has a separate crock pot and has low medium and high setting :clapping:

Yes a real bargain

Hope you can pick me one up Sandra ha ha

xxx

MarpleJollytots
19-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Do they bake chocolate cake ??? !!!!! Wouldnt that be gr8 !!!!

~Chelle~
19-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I borrowed the mother in laws to see how I got on with it and dont want to give it back:blush:

I am definately going to get myself one.:laughing:

I have made some lovely stews, meat just melts in the mouth, and I also made a lovely chilli last week.

If you do a google search there are some free online recipes for your slow cooker :clapping: :clapping:

ajs
19-10-2009, 05:30 PM
i love mine
i put loads of veg in mine this morning with a tin of tomatoes and soem herbs and will whisk them up later to make a pasta sauce
it's delicious like that and it's a good way to get the kids to eat veg

sweets
19-10-2009, 06:16 PM
i love mine and use it alot for stew and soups.

but can someone tell me how do you cook a chicken in it? doesn't it go soggy!

Also how do you cook a ham in it?

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2009, 06:22 PM
i love mine and use it alot for stew and soups.

but can someone tell me how do you cook a chicken in it? doesn't it go soggy!

Also how do you cook a ham in it?

I put the chicken in with nothing else, you should see the fat that comes out by the end :eek: you don't get the browned skin, but i never eat that anyway, the meat falls off the bone, yummy :clapping:

sweets
19-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I put the chicken in with nothing else, you should see the fat that comes out by the end :eek: you don't get the browned skin, but i never eat that anyway, the meat falls off the bone, yummy :clapping:

sounds easy will give it a try. how long do you cook it for and what setting?
thanks

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2009, 06:28 PM
sounds easy will give it a try. how long do you cook it for and what setting?
thanks

Mine goes on around 10 ish and its ready for dinner, i put it on high and then half way through medium :thumbsup:

sweets
19-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Mine goes on around 10 ish and its ready for dinner, i put it on high and then half way through medium :thumbsup:

do you mean dinner as in lunch or dinner as in tea? lol:laughing:

Sorry for being thick but ive no idea how long it would take:blush:

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2009, 06:34 PM
do you mean dinner as in lunch or dinner as in tea? lol:laughing:

Sorry for being thick but ive no idea how long it would take:blush:

Sorry dinner as in evening
:thumbsup:

Its so yummy just literally falls of the bone, enjoy x

Blackhorse
19-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I think I might try the chicken in it once too...never done that before as I am not sure I can imagine it properly...I like the roast taste of in and I guess it wont have that..or does it?
my slow cooker doesnt have a high low setting...just on and off...so I am never sure what temp it actually uses as it doesnt say in the instructions either....but I generally leave things for about 9 hours in it anyways...
apart from rice pudding...(which I absolutely love out of the slow cooker!!)

sweets
19-10-2009, 06:37 PM
i did a rice pudding once, i followed a recipe but it was far to milky! my mum sadi i should have used condensed or evaporated milk instead (cant remember which!):eek: imagine the calories!

Blackhorse
19-10-2009, 06:41 PM
i did a rice pudding once, i followed a recipe but it was far to milky! my mum sadi i should have used condensed or evaporated milk instead (cant remember which!):eek: imagine the calories!

I just posted a rice pudding recipe..
mine did the same but I just cooked it with lid open (towards the end..not the whole time)....or as I mentioned mine has various settings on it (it does rice and porridge and steaming) so if I change it to porridge cooking it thickens it nicely...but again with lid open...otherwise it is way to liquidy....

I cannot imagine it with condensed or evaporated milk to be honest...in fact I would rather try to reduce the qty of milk used as that would make it thicker as well!

PixiePetal
19-10-2009, 07:06 PM

I do this nearly every week. :thumbsup:

Washing up is easier, no splashing in the cooker and I don't eat the skin either. :)

louise
19-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Well i finally used mine yesterday. I made stew and i din't hold much hope. It was yummy the beef just feel apart and i loved that i didn't have to to and fro all the time. Has anyone tried curry before? Also how have u done ham? We always struggle to get everything in oven xmas day and thought this might be the way to help out. I had a quick look ealier but it was 10hrs cooking. Thanks Lou

Blackhorse
19-10-2009, 07:09 PM
...you really made me wanna try this

I think I will get a chicken tonight as I need to jump down to tesco anyways and put it into the slow cooker over night

do I just put the chicken in? Do you add anything at all??
Please help, I have never tried this before

PixiePetal
19-10-2009, 07:13 PM
...you really made me wanna try this

I think I will get a chicken tonight as I need to jump down to tesco anyways and put it into the slow cooker over night

do I just put the chicken in? Do you add anything at all??
Please help, I have never tried this before

I don't put anything else in, you could stick an onion inside? or some garlic to infuse?

I put mine on high heat and cook for 4-5 hours. Not tried it overnight on low, would be interested how long it takes

Blackhorse
19-10-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't put anything else in, you could stick an onion inside? or some garlic to infuse?

I put mine on high heat and cook for 4-5 hours. Not tried it overnight on low, would be interested how long it takes

shopshelleyd
19-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Has anyone cooked duck in the slow cooker? When I cook in the oven they make such a mess. But I do love the skin when its crispy .... its the best bit!:D

Shelley

daisyboo1980
19-10-2009, 07:25 PM
i bought 1 abt a month ago and i us it to cook all my meat in it as its always so tender and falls apart
going to do a beef stew tomorrow i think seeing this link has just reminded me to lift the meat out
so thank u lol

ajs
19-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I think I might try the chicken in it once too...never done that before as I am not sure I can imagine it properly...I like the roast taste of in and I guess it wont have that..or does it?
my slow cooker doesnt have a high low setting...just on and off...so I am never sure what temp it actually uses as it doesnt say in the instructions either....but I generally leave things for about 9 hours in it anyways...
apart from rice pudding...(which I absolutely love out of the slow cooker!!)

i put an onion and a couple of halves of lemon in mine just before cooking the chicken and it tastes delicious

sweets
19-10-2009, 08:10 PM
i put an onion and a couple of halves of lemon in mine just before cooking the chicken and it tastes delicious

i couldnt put an onion in as i'm a bit squemish with raw chicken:panic:

i cant touch it! i always use forks, its a bit difficult with a whole one and i have been known to drop one on the floor! lol. luckily my mum was around and picked it up, rinsed it and popped it in the oven.

There is no way i could open one up to put an onion inside. yuk.

Once its cooked i'm fine with it. but i cant pull the legs off:laughing:

nannymcflea
19-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Welcome to easy cooking.:thumbsup: I use mine as often as possible,whole chickens,beef stews,pork with leeks and mushrooms,bolognaise....making me hungry.

ajs
19-10-2009, 08:31 PM
i couldnt put an onion in as i'm a bit squemish with raw chicken:panic:

i cant touch it! i always use forks, its a bit difficult with a whole one and i have been known to drop one on the floor! lol. luckily my mum was around and picked it up, rinsed it and popped it in the oven.

There is no way i could open one up to put an onion inside. yuk.

Once its cooked i'm fine with it. but i cant pull the legs off:laughing:

i don't put the onion in the chicken but into the slow cooker and the chicken on top

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
19-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Has anyone tried the gammon joint in coca cola? its yummy!

Stanfield
19-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Do they bake chocolate cake ??? !!!!! Wouldnt that be gr8 !!!!

I have just bought a cook book for mine and it does have puddings ... including choc cake!!!:clapping: Yet to try it though.

Cazz
19-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Right!! I know what I'm going to put on my Christmas list now!! :D

I had been thinking about one as I'm about to start minding and thought it would be ideal for the meal to be ready as soon as the last one has left :thumbsup:

You lot have made my mind up .... and my tummy rumble! :laughing:

manjay
19-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Mine is very well used however I can't stomach the smell of a whole chicken in it. No idea why as the meat is lovely when it comes out but that is a no no for me:rolleyes:

babs
19-10-2009, 10:14 PM
i love mine throw it all in and leave it to cook only thing is mindees keep askin me when its cooked so they can have some..... only so many times u can say later sweetie and get but WHY.......:laughing: :laughing: dont think my 2 yr old knows anyother words sometimes

Roseolivia
20-10-2009, 08:24 AM
I love my slow cooker and probably don't use it as much as i should. Does everyone brown their meats first before putting it in as all recipes i have say to brown meat first. I made a lovely pork and sweet pepper meal last week and am making Hungarian goulash on Thursday. I got a book from the Book People last week with loads of recipes, here's the link.

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10051_173011_100_500020__category_

I get loads of books from here.

SandCastles
20-10-2009, 01:03 PM
What an inspirational thread, I have just pulled out my brand new unused slow cooker out of my pan cupboard and given it a clean. Checked my fridge, freezer and veg rack only to find nothing to put into it. :blush: So I was thinking of having beans on toast tonight for tea, then A flash of inspiration. Can I heat my baked beans in the slow cooker? may give this a go, as I like them when they thicken up a little, splash of tobasco sauce, tin of tomatoes, handful of risotto rice. My head is whizzing will go any try to create.
Do you think this will be edible?

Blackhorse
20-10-2009, 01:06 PM
What an inspirational thread, I have just pulled out my brand new unused slow cooker out of my pan cupboard and given it a clean. Checked my fridge, freezer and veg rack only to find nothing to put into it. :blush: So I was thinking of having beans on toast tonight for tea, then A flash of inspiration. Can I heat my baked beans in the slow cooker? may give this a go, as I like them when they thicken up a little, splash of tobasco sauce, tin of tomatoes, handful of risotto rice. My head is whizzing will go any try to create.

I have never tried to just heat things in the slow cooker...but the sc is perfect for baked beans...I usually add them to stews...kids liked it..I made some cowboy casserole with sausages tomatoes and baked beans.

the only thing I find things dont thicken as much as they do in the oven as there is hardly any evaporation going on...

but I can imagine a nice tomato-rice-beans dish from the slow cooker :clapping: ...in fact that would be lovely with some nice baguette ...mhh.you have given me an idea there.

ORKSIE
20-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I dont have one, but you have all inspired me, esp now its getting colder:clapping:

nannymcflea
20-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I dont have one, but you have all inspired me, esp now its getting colder:clapping:

go get yourself one mrs O, you can cook all sorts of vermin in it,save eating them raw!:laughing:

LOOPYLISA
20-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Spag bol in mine atm :thumbsup:

ORKSIE
20-10-2009, 01:38 PM
go get yourself one mrs O, you can cook all sorts of vermin in it,save eating them raw!:laughing:

PMSL:D :thumbsup:

LittleMissSparkles
20-10-2009, 02:47 PM
sausage casserole in mine atm, just need to do some mash when im nearly ready for serving it later :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
20-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Ok ....I made the whole chicken last night.

I put an onion cut up in quarters at the bottom
then the chicken
then sprinkled with some italian seasoning
turned it on

10 minutes later my slow cooker screams....spices must have also fell onto the bottom of the pan and started smoking...so I added just a bit of water to make sure all was ok and put it back on.

The chicken was in it all night (so I guess mine does everything low..but who knows I dont have these settings) and it is fab!!
The gravy it made is lovely...just put it on the hob to season and add some flour to thicken it...very nice

I also have some veg in the steamer and am now really looking forward to dinner.

I have to admit I was a bit aprehensive about putting a whole chicken into it but I will do it again!! It is very nice.
It wont beat a really nice roast chicken with stuffing but it is nevertheless a nice meal...oh and SOOO Easy to do!! :clapping: :clapping:

PixiePetal
20-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I have some chicken pieces in a mushroom and cream sauce (from a jar). Cheat I know but added mushrooms and it will be ready without looking at it by dinner time - no standing by the cooker. Just pots/rice and veg to do:thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
20-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I have some chicken pieces in a mushroom and cream sauce (from a jar). Cheat I know but added mushrooms and it will be ready without looking at it by dinner time - no standing by the cooker. Just pots/rice and veg to do:thumbsup:

Mmmm i do this lots :thumbsup:

Gosh this thread makes me hungry everytime i read it ! :D

PixiePetal
20-10-2009, 05:07 PM
When someone starts a slow cooker thread, it always gets lots of replies/views :laughing: :thumbsup:

I have just ordered a book from The Book People - Ultimate Slow Cooker £3.99. Roseolivia put the link up for it :thumbsup:

Mcgons
20-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Should I buy one????

I went to see a friend last week and she had spag bol in hers, and said she loves using it, so I thought about getting one.

THEN I mentioned it to my mum and she said why bother, would I have time in the morning to brown meat/chop everything up to go in, and if not then why not just use a stock pot on the hob, or in the oven for a few hours like I normally do.

So what's the real benefit - is it so it can be left for longer and stay heated and use less power than the oven/hob??

Pudding Girl
20-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I love my slow cooker, we got given it as a Wedding gift almost 3 yrs ago and for the last 18mths it's been in uise at least 2-3 times a week.

Sunday I did a bacon joint in it, then leftover ham and the stock left behind I added a few leftover veg from sunday dinner and half a bag of yellow split peas, and hey presto, pea and ham soup for Mondays lunch :)

Big fan of doing whole chickens in it and find you can get much more meat off the bones and can stretch one chicken to 3 meals. Plus carcass for soup.

Pot roast beef joints are quite cheap in Asda and are lovely done in the SC :)
Tomorrow am making beef stew and dumplings :)

nannymcflea
20-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Should I buy one????

I went to see a friend last week and she had spag bol in hers, and said she loves using it, so I thought about getting one.

THEN I mentioned it to my mum and she said why bother, would I have time in the morning to brown meat/chop everything up to go in, and if not then why not just use a stock pot on the hob, or in the oven for a few hours like I normally do.

So what's the real benefit - is it so it can be left for longer and stay heated and use less power than the oven/hob??

chop everything the night before..don't brown the meat,theres no need...it's easier as you can leave it,no stirring,to cook for ages then take the lid off and dish up.:thumbsup:

Pudding Girl
20-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Mine is very well used however I can't stomach the smell of a whole chicken in it. No idea why as the meat is lovely when it comes out but that is a no no for me:rolleyes:

Do you use free range/organic? I know what you mean about the standard chicken smell.
Doesn't put me off Scing it though as I find it smells that way when roasted too. Just I don't do it often and make it a day wehn am out a lot lol

Pudding Girl
20-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't brown mince or precook onions or anything and it's fine :)

LOOPYLISA
20-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I brown the meat first for spag bol, only i find it very greasy otherwise :thumbsup:

babs
20-10-2009, 07:44 PM
try this one if u like liver ...

throw it all in raw ...

liver cut up small( bite size)
onion chopped
pasta ( 1 carton )
tin tomatos ( chopped)
tin of beans
mushrooms ( chopped)
Bacon ( cut small )
1 oxo cube
worcester sauce spinkled over top
give it a stir leave to cook
only thing is smells like a cooked breakfast i think makes u hungry alday ...

serve with mash or veg , but my hubby n son have it with onion rings only....

Blackhorse
20-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Should I buy one????

well as far as I know it uses less energy (mine is meant to use as much as a lightbulb...not that I know though how much energy the hob uses on low..)
beause there is no evaporation of the liquid- or hardly any you will not burn your food and I find it saver to leave my slowcooker on when I am out then leaving the hob on.. Wouldnt do that!.
Actually my slow cooker turns itself off should anything start to get burned for some reason
I sometimes brown meet beforehand and sometimes not.
A lot of times I will also throw everything into the pot in the evening and then it is ready in the morning...and kept warm till lunch !!
I dont know what I would do without it anymore to be quite honest..especially now for cm....and the meat is so nice and tender that it is really easy for the kids to eat...
some things I still prefer to cook ''conventionally'' though as I enjoy cooking....but I LOVE my slowcooker!

another added benefit of cooking on low heat is that more of the vitamins and nutrients will be retained as they will not be destroyed by the heat!

SandCastles
21-10-2009, 08:37 PM
What an inspirational thread, I have just pulled out my brand new unused slow cooker out of my pan cupboard and given it a clean. Checked my fridge, freezer and veg rack only to find nothing to put into it. :blush: So I was thinking of having beans on toast tonight for tea, then A flash of inspiration. Can I heat my baked beans in the slow cooker? may give this a go, as I like them when they thicken up a little, splash of tobasco sauce, tin of tomatoes, handful of risotto rice. My head is whizzing will go and try to create.

Well it worked!! and tasted pretty good, even though I was very embarrassed that I didn't have much fresh food in the kitchen. Today I went shopping and got thin sausages, some veg and a tin of soup. Guess what is in the SC at the minute? I will leave it on low over night and then whack up to med or high in the morning so I can have sausage casserole for lunch.

Is the SC book that has been mentioned in this thread worth buying?
or have all the good recipies been mentioned already?

little miss chatterbox
21-10-2009, 08:39 PM
i never brown my meat i just chuck it all in! I usually prepare it in the evening or in the mornings when LO's are asleep!

xxxx

Roseolivia
22-10-2009, 06:02 AM
I made Hungarian Goulash in mine last night and it was delicious. My m indee loved it apart from the mash i made.

singlewiththree
22-10-2009, 08:50 AM
I made beef stew for my first meal in the slow cooker it tasted lovely. Going to do something with chicken next I think. I usually do hotpot on the gas hob and have it on all day so this was good .

CherryBlossom
22-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I am cooking Chiken casserole in mine at the moment. woo can't wait for dinner! :clapping: :clapping: :D